AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Pre-Amps & Amplifiers

Pre-Amps & Amplifiers All Brands Welcome

Old 06-20-2015, 05:10 PM

Very funny stories from all of you

Everyone appreciates the others's systems, but really prefers their own. Just the way it should be. Otherwise we would all have the same amps and speakers, and end up just debating which recording is the best version. Not so much fun!
Old 06-21-2015, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
Very funny stories from all of you Everyone appreciates the others's systems, but really prefers their own. Just the way it should be. Otherwise we would all have the same amps and speakers, and end up just debating which recording is the best version. Not so much fun!
Of course we are talking of personal preferences.
But we are talking of the evolution of a system that we heard before.
Interesting to me because when definition and attack gets higher, most people like it and are seeking for this. They are looking for "being impressed " by the music. Georges and Jean Marc love the new sound of the system, which is clearly more "impressive" than before while this very high definition gets between me and the music. I am looking for finesse, sweetness and most of all, truth of timbre.
While I really loved the system with more forgiving amps.
Higher resolution does not mean higher pleasure for everyone.
If we were all looking for the highest definition, we would all have a Devialet or a Linn Klimax.
Talking of very high definition, the problem to me is that if something is not as it should be, you will hear it very precisely and it will hide all the other qualities.
To me something was wrong on the voices, they all sounded a tone too high. So truth of timbre was not there. And this is "disqualifying" for me. The Manley Snappers were very far from the dynamics and definition of the Halgorythme but they were sounding with the right timbre.
Hell, you pay a system at such a price and you cannot even have the right timbre !!??

Anyway I was thinking that this could come from something else. Between my last listening of the system with the Snappers and this listening with Halgorythme, Georges changed his DAC.
This could well be the real "culprit" because even with the Nagra MSA power amp, the voices were still sounding a bit too high.

Georges, as I said already, as long as you are happy with the sound as it is, it's all that matters.
If you want me to bring my MDA1000 or my AMR DP777, just tell me !
Old 06-21-2015, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
Very funny stories from all of you

Everyone appreciates the others's systems, but really prefers their own. Just the way it should be. Otherwise we would all have the same amps and speakers, and end up just debating which recording is the best version. Not so much fun!

Hello,

If you reread what I wrote, I said that after testing it in my system, I could have those Halgo for critical listening sessions as an alternative for my principal setup.

Or build a second system with my BW802 if they match.

Or live with such a fabulous system, if it matches in my room.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:16 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Of course we are talking of personal preferences.
But we are talking of the evolution of a system that we heard before.
Interesting to me because when definition and attack gets higher, most people like it and are seeking for this. They are looking for "being impressed " by the music. Georges and Jean Marc love the new sound of the system, which is clearly more "impressive" than before while this very high definition gets between me and the music. I am looking for finesse, sweetness and most of all, truth of timbre.
While I really loved the system with more forgiving amps.
Higher resolution does not mean higher pleasure for everyone.
If we were all looking for the highest definition, we would all have a Devialet or a Linn Klimax.
Talking of very high definition, the problem to me is that if something is not as it should be, you will hear it very precisely and it will hide all the other qualities.
To me something was wrong on the voices, they all sounded a tone too high. So truth of timbre was not there. And this is "disqualifying" for me. The Manley Snappers were very far from the dynamics and definition of the Halgorythme but they were sounding with the right timbre.
Hell, you pay a system at such a price and you cannot even have the right timbre !!??

Anyway I was thinking that this could come from something else. Between my last listening of the system with the Snappers and this listening with Halgorythme, Georges changed his DAC.
This could well be the real "culprit" because even with the Nagra MSA power amp, the voices were still sounding a bit too high.

Georges, as I said already, as long as you are happy with the sound as it is, it's all that matters.
If you want me to bring my MDA1000 or my AMR DP777, just tell me !
Jérôme, in my system, the Halgorythme amps gave more detail, more depth, more accurateness, but at the same time more reality.
The sound became more rounded, more agreeable, more "musical" and yet was more precise.
We often use this term "musicality", it is what we as music lovers seek.
My wife and I attend some 25-30 concerts a year, in an acoustically top notch concert hall.
So I do know what I'm looking for, and the Halgorythmes will just bring me a little closer to this ideal, which we can only try to imitate.
Precision, and accurateness, when done properly add to musicality in my perception.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 06-21-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Jérôme, in my system, the Halgorythme amps gave more detail, more depth, more accurateness, but at the same time more reality. The sound became more rounded, more agreeable, more "musical" and yet was more precise. We often use this term "musicality", it is what we as music lovers seek. My wife and I attend some 25-30 concerts a year, in an acoustically top notch concert hall. So I do know what I'm looking for, and the Halgorythmes will just bring me a little closer to this ideal, which we can only try to imitate. Precision, and accurateness, when done properly add to musicality in my perception.
Bart,

I agree fully with you. I have nothing against high definition. The problem I found at George's place was that timbre of voices was slightly off.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:19 AM

Bart,
Since you speak french, this reading was sent to me in an other forum :
http://www.asrr.org/biblioteca/Revue.../BONAMPLI.html
Old 06-21-2015, 11:06 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
Bart,
Since you speak french, this reading was sent to me in an other forum :
Appréciation de la qualité subjective des bons amplificateurs (J.Hiraga)
A lire ce soir!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables

Last edited by bart; 06-21-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:16 AM

So much to comment on. First of all, thank you all for your kind words. I've spent countless hours and money to get there and I feel I'm getting where I want to be (given the space and constraints I have to live with).
I believe I've created a well-rounded system. There are a few minor things to optimise here and there obviously. We can always do better.

Now the comparison between the Halgo and the Snapper is moot, as the rest of the system has evolved as well between the two times. There is a new DAC which has brought a lot of additional details and added spatiality, the mac mini is now powered with a LPSU and optimized, I've added Stillpoints under the P5 and the preamp.

Now regarding the comments of Jérôme, I appreciate what he's saying but they don't apply to me as we are looking for different things in term of sound. His focus, Jérôme please correct me if I'm wrong, is on the mid-range and to get the best (sweetest?) one possible which is why the sound of Harbeth is so pleasing to him. I'm looking for a balanced range with dynamics, details and musicality. The Halgorythme and the DAC I've chose are the best suited for my need and ears. It would be very different for someone else and we just proved it.

Halgo are great amps and they've seduced more than one even long time lover of transistor. As for having the wrong timbre, I just don't feel it and it just sounds good to me.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
So much to comment on. First of all, thank you all for your kind words. I've spent countless hours and money to get there and I feel I'm getting where I want to be (given the space and constraints I have to live with). I believe I've created a well-rounded system. There are a few minor things to optimise here and there obviously. We can always do better. Now the comparison between the Halgo and the Snapper is moot, as the rest of the system has evolved as well between the two times. There is a new DAC which has brought a lot of additional details and added spatiality, the mac mini is now powered with a LPSU and optimized, I've added Stillpoints under the P5 and the preamp. Now regarding the comments of Jérôme, I appreciate what he's saying but they don't apply to me as we are looking for different things in term of sound. His focus, Jérôme please correct me if I'm wrong, is on the mid-range and to get the best (sweetest?) one possible which is why the sound of Harbeth is so pleasing to him. I'm looking for a balanced range with dynamics, details and musicality. The Halgorythme and the DAC I've chose are the best suited for my need and ears. It would be very different for someone else and we just proved it. Halgo are great amps and they've seduced more than one even long time lover of transistor. As for having the wrong timbre, I just don't feel it and it just sounds good to me.
Hi Georges,

As I said already, the most important thing is that YOU are pleased with your system. I am very happy that you got to that point.
I am not focused on the beauty / naturalness pf the mids. I do like bass and treble too.
I just believe that the first quality of a high end system should be to sound with the right timbres.
Human voices are just the most easiest sounds to evaluate truth of timbre.
It would be interesting to be able to listen to a recording in your system while instantly switching to a high end reference / monitor headphone system like the Senn HD800.
This would make a very easy way to hear if voices have the same timbre or not.
I do love a lot Halgorythme amps. They are fabulous.