AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 04-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default McIntosh C1000C/P Review

REPRINT: March 2009

And so it goes, out with the C2300 tubes, and in with the C1000P solid state. With the addition of the C1000P preamplifier into my system, I now have a completely solid state, completely balanced sound system from source to speakers. As you know, I lived with a complete solid state system for 13 years until April '08, when my C40 was replaced with a C2200 tube preamp, and my MC300 power amp was replaced with a MC275 MkV tube power amp. An all tube system made an enjoyable difference, and delivered the revered lush midrange that is higly coveted by all ardent tube fans. I was more than pleased with the tube sound, but was experiencing a power deficiency with my speakers, so the MC275 was sold, and replaced with a MC352 solid state power amplifier, which was then replaced with a pair of MC501's. The C2200 tube preamp made the move to the studio along with the MC352, and a new C2300 tube preamp was added to the main system. It was a very nice move in the right direction, but I felt there was more to be embraced, so the research, reading, conversations, and auditioning continued.

Trying to locate McIntosh dealers with demo systems set up with the exact equipment you want to audition is a difficult task. It is a hit or miss situation. I set out to audition the C500P, but no dealers in my area had one. One dealer had the C500T, but it was not set up, nor did he want to set it up. I was able to audition the C1000T driving MC1.2Kw amps in Daytona Beach, and I was awestruck. That is a winning combination, too, but I had made the decision to return to solid state, and the C1000P was not available for audition. So what to do? Had I been anything other than a dyed in the wool McIntosh enthusiast the decision might have been more difficult, but considering past experiences with this great company I made the decision to trust my instincts, and go with blind faith. I ordered a C1000C/P.

It is now installed in my main system, and has been playing continuously for 22 hours. I let it play all night, even after I went to bed at 2:30 AM. First, let me say the C1000C/P is the most exquisite McIntosh equipment I have ever had the pleasure to own. Every aspect of the materials used to construct these two fine pieces is nothing short of top shelf. From the ingenious, spellbinding three dimensional black glass face plates, to the elaborate water jet cut McIntosh name that is gold backed on the top of the 3/16" thick brushed aluminum cover plate, the McIntosh craftsmanship is flawless. The control cables that connect the left and right channel power supplies to the preamp section are manufactured to military specifications using round, keyed connectors with threaded, knurled rings that insure a firm, secure, and lasting connection. The input and output terminals on the rear apron of the C1000P are museum quality, solid, and all are gold plated. The balanced input connectors are of the locking type for trouble free operation. There is a lot more than air inside these two gorgeous boxes, as confirmed by the sheer weight of each piece. The controller is the heaviest of the two pieces, but both are substantial. The controls function effortlessly with satisfying precision, and all input assignments are easily programmed without using the manual if you are familiar with the newer McIntosh preamps. The C1000P is an absolute perfect diamond.

So, how does this sweet pre sound? In a word, Delicious! From the very first notes of the first CD I played, Brian Bromberg - Choices, "Never Give Up", I knew this was a distinguished piece of gear, unlike any I had ever owned before. The initial bass notes immediately gripped my attention, and immersed me in the harmonic intensity of his instrument. From absolute silence came the initial bass string attacks, with such leading edge authority and texture, I was riveted in place. This is definitely not your father's preamp. The solid state grasp was effortless, firm, and powerful, yet elegant and easy at the same time. The music flowed with such clarity I could not move from my spot on the couch. This is what I have been searching for in a sound system. Very surprising, the tube warmth in the midrange wasn't absent in this solid state preamp. When I played Hope Waits - Hope Waits, "I'll Be Satisfied", the richness of her voice was suspended in the space between my speakers as though she were present in the room. Her breathy delivery, and easy vibrato were abundant with deep color. Just stunning. The drums that begin this track revealed rich, quick dynamics, and the sound was thoroughly believable. The Hope Waits CD doesn't sound like a recording done by dubbing independently recorded tracks, but more like a live band performance. The C1000P bestowed a lavish handful of live band feel into this performance, with lots of air, ambiance, room reverberations, breaths being taken, and that certain synergy that only happens when musicians playing together know they are in a groove. It was all there.

Solo piano, or piano with acoustic bass has always provided me a special glimpse into a system's character and ability to sound natural, so I played Liz Story - 17 Seconds To Anywhere, "Voices". The richness of her full chords, accompanied by her remarkable individual notes was thrilling. As the full chords rang with the tones of multiple keys, the individual notes played with her other hand floated through the chords with no smearing, no loss of vigor or tonality. Sustained piano notes lingered beautifully as if floating like a feather on air. Complex moments in the music never seemed strained, or glossed over. The details of every recorded sound were present and accounted for without exaggeration. It is so easy to find yourself easing the volume to a higher level. The C1000P presented all of this with the shimmering clarity of sunlight reflected off rain drops.

I went on to play Clark Terry - One On One, "L.O.V.E.", where Clark and his trumpet share the stage with pianist Monty Alexander. The C1000P created a sound stage with such depth and width I could clearly feel the presence and location of the musicians on the maple stage floor. Clark Terry's trumpet had the wonderful brass bite that is usually experienced only by hearing a live performance. It is breathtaking.

Finally, I played Tom Grant - Reprise, "Change". Tom's Steinway piano is so engaging you are instantly attracted and held by its influence and power. The various percussion instruments were alive when struck or stroked, and when lightly brushed with finger tips the wind chimes were magical in the way the high frequencies hung and diminished in the air. Cymbals rang clear with wonderful metallic reverb, drums had fast, realistic snaps, and Tom's piano skills were displayed across a broad, deep sound stage.

The presence of the C1000P in my audio system has brought about a marked improvement in the sound of every source played. I now have the pleasure of rediscovering my entire CD collection. The transformation of my system's sound by the presence of the C1000P has taken on a life of its own. It reminds me of being lazy all winter, and developing a little extra weight around your waist. Then the decision is made, and you start going to the gym every day for a complete month, working out, and eating right. All of a sudden you look in the mirror and discover a new, tighter body, a new you. Wow. That's what the C1000P has done for my system. It has created a new, and tighter body, where everything is in its correct place, and performing with maximum efficiency. Spatial imaging has grown wider. Rapid, fleeting transient harmonics and overtones present much finer details. Cymbals, and horns are reproduced with that particular metallic flavor that makes them sizzle with life. Snare, tom and kick drums have an attack and depth that is surprising. The sounds grip your attention. Rim shots will make you blink, they are that real. With less than 24 hours use on the C1000P, I fully expect this jewel of a preamp to bloom even more as the internal components arrive at their optimum operating ranges. At this moment, I am genuinely overcome with excitement and glee. The C1000P preamplifier has exceed my expectations by a significant margin. I fully expected to hear an improvement in my system's sound. What I didn't expect was to be completely blown away.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 11-17-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:25 PM

This review was a great read the first time and now, since I have added the C500P, I can appreciate and identify with it even more. Mac electronics are physically and audibly beautiful and your reviews do them justice. Thanks for posting it again.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:27 PM

Great review Dan, as always !!
If I wasn't on the move for a high end TT, I would catch that one...
Maybe a C500....
Old 04-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Media Server Aficionado

As always a wonderful writeup.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Howard.......I appreciate your comments very much. I am positive you can thoroughly relate to the review. I am positive your new C500 is doing exactly the same thing for you.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Jèrôme.......Thank you. After the turntable sticker shock has faded to a distant memory, perhaps a fully balanced preamp will grace your system. I see the EB1i in your signature. Did the new ones arrive?

Last edited by jdandy; 04-21-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
As always a wonderful writeup.
Vesuvius.......Much appreciated. I just read the review again myself. I still feel the same way today. The C1000C/P is golden.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:30 PM

JD,

They are that good.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:03 PM

Loved this review the first time... loved it even more the second time.

Just wish that I had the $$$ and the room in the rack...

Thank you Dan.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Stephen.......My pleasure. Thank you, too.