AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 07-12-2012, 10:30 PM

Talking Thanks for the plug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFz View Post
Forum member FranklinLG has a pair of O96's with a Shindo Masseto and Sophia 300B monos and I believe he's enjoys them very much. He wrote a review linked below.

A rumble in the jungle « Get lost in analogue

I've also read on the Audiogon forums from people who have the Haut Brion and O96 combo who also found the bass to be a bit heavy.
CFz,

Thanks for the plug. And to the AA compliance police please note that I get NO revenue from the blog!

In any event, I had an opportunity to chat with Les about the concerns. I can't say that I agree with people that these are bass heavy. But I am mindful that everyone's rooms and space will have appreciable impact on any speakers performance. And these speakers are no different!

As for placement, isn't that always key? These speakers lend themselves to easy adjustment moving closer or further from the rear wall and in turn providing more or less direct bass. Since I have wood floors I have the stands (like everything else in my home) on felt pads. So they move VERY easily. I also think the felt helps provide a bit of isolation from the flooring.

In terms of listening? Well, I love these speakers and the way they resonate with the music. They are emotional and engaging. After more than 8 months with them my opinions continue to become more passionate and favorable.

But I am seriously interested in John's big brother version to this whenever that comes out. Remember, this is supposed to the the middle of the orangutan lineup. John is supposedly working on the baby brother at this time, and then will get to the big brother. So if history is any indication, I fully expect the big brother to be even more intoxicating!

In sum, highly recommended!

J

PS a few months ago I separated my HT from my audio. I still use the Os with both, but now I run separate cables to the Os for each system. The Audio is ALL tube. And the HT is SS. After about 2+months with the SS, I can say that the Os do very well with SS! I still don't use a lot of wattage, and what wattage exists with the SS is poorly implemented. A purported 95 class D watts, that is more than likely the equivalent of 30 class A watts.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhesiv View Post
Did you listen to the silverbacks as well before settling on the O96?
FWIW -I've heard the Orangutans at my dealer on a couple occasions and currently own the Silverbacks -I posted a few thoughts on the "show us your shindo" thread (p11 or so). Very very different in their presentation and I think the type of music you enjoy will guide you to one or the other. As for the bass, yes, I've heard it get a bit "loose" on the O/96s...how much of an issue it is for you is personal preference (like anything else). I certainly did enjoy Zeppelin on 'em though!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:19 PM

OG,

That's an interesting point about the looseness of the bass. I can't say that I thought of it that way before. In some ways I can see (hear) your point. Interesting... It's definitely not as crisp as others that I have heard, like a Thiel. But the bass is much more involved or involving in the music. I find it intoxicating. So for me, I love it!

PS - I also use 300B amps, so that may also contribute to the sense of looseness. A critical point to keep in mind is system synergy. John Devore voiced his speakers using several of the Shindo amps. So they are designed for a synergy with tubes. That's not to say that they don't do well with SS, but all of the attributes of tubes were material to the design.

Last edited by FranklinLG; 07-14-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG View Post
OG,

PS - I also use 300B amps, so that may also contribute to the sense of looseness. A critical point to keep in mind is system synergy. John Devore voiced his speakers using several of the Shindo amps. So they are designed for a synergy with tubes. That's not to say that they don't do well with SS, but all of the attributes of tubes were material to the design.
Hmm, how interesting! I too use my O/96s with 300B amps. The O/96s sounded killer at Matt's place with the Cortese, the Lafon 300B Ltd and the GM70s. At his place I preferred them with the GM70s. At my place I preferred them with the Lafon 300Bs over the GM70s. Different room, different acoustics. My room is much smaller than Matt's.

I have had them since I believe August of last year. I also heard the Nine's at Matt's and they sound wonderful as well (never heard the Silverbacks).

I am very pleased with mine, I play more vinyl than digital but do play both. Bela Fleck and his Flecktones (CD) sound great on the system, deep, rich bass. Jim Hall's Concierto on vinyl has nice, woody bass. Other examples sadly escape my mind at the moment.

I have mine in a room about 13.5' by 23' with 9' ceilings. They are on the short wall and about 3-3.5 feet out from the back wall and about 6 ft apart from each other (inside edge to inside edge).

Also Sade, Diamond Life, Smooth Operator sounds great on the system (vinyl) with nice slinky bass, and a nice percussive attack.

Barr
Old 07-18-2012, 02:42 PM

My room is 23' X 12'+ w/ standard 8 ft ceilings. Mine are also on the short wall. I have my 0/96's 63" (5 + ft.) from the rear wall. They are spread 7 feet apart, leaving each cabinet 32" from their respective side walls. Just to be clear, I measure distance from rear wall using FRONT plane of the cabinet. My side wall/spread measurement is done using center drivers...!
I drive mine w/the Corton Charlemagne, 25 watt mono's. I played The Doors: Strange Days, QRP 45 yesterday. It was quite spectacular. Dead quiet playing surface, every bell/whistle anyone could ask for. Bass, detail, imaging, it was all there. Most importantly, it still had that analog sound, which grabs you by the heart strings. Blows away my DCC: Strange Days. Next I will compare my now best, first press Doors self titled album, w/ the QRP.
My preamp is the Monbrison. TT is Well tempered Amadeus/ EMT Tsd-15.
bplexico: your system must sound unbelievable. I did get the opportunity to check out a friends 300 B on the 96's. It was VERY good. I doubt Lafon good, but I still heard something quite special w/ the 300b...! bplexico, how far away do you sit from your speakers, and which Shindo pre do you use?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:32 PM

Well measured from the front plane of the speakers my O/96s are 49" out from the wall. Center to Center of speaker drivers they are 80" apart. Usually I sit 14 feet back from the speakers. That is due to room layout et al.

Currently I am using a Vosne pre-amp, previously I had the Masseto. Garrard 401 TT that Matt modified with EMT tone arm and cartridge. So similar setup in several ways to yours and yet slightly different. The system can sound magnificent, and with less than stellar recordings, less spectacular, it won't make a so-so recording sound good by any means.

You just pushed me past the tipping point on The Doors - Strange Days re issue - I had been on the fence - now I am a mouse click away from ordering it!

Barr
Old 07-18-2012, 09:50 PM

FJN and BP,

Too funny! Have either of you tried the new QRP of Brubeck's Time Out? Simply ridiculous!

FWIW, My O's are about 9' apart, ~4' from the rear wall, and I sit about 13' out from there. My room is roughly 18'x44'. So it's quite large.

I am, as noted elsewhere, running 300B's with the Os. I think they sound superb. but I would not mind trying a shindo or wavac variant... One day...

Regardless, Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds are playing right now, and the experience via blu-ray is incredible. I'm also running the audio out through my Acoustic Plan Digimaster, and the differences in audio between just my Oppo BDP95 and the APD is HUGE! So much richer and fuller! Everything is intoxicating!

Last edited by FranklinLG; 07-18-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Regardless, Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds are playing right now, and the experience via blu-ray is incredible. I'm also running the audio out through my Acoustic Plan Digimaster, and the differences in audio between just my Oppo BDP95 and the APD is HUGE! So much richer and fuller! Everything is intoxicating!
I've been on the fence regarding the Digimaster and have been waiting for your review, but you keep tossing out tidbits here and there. I may just have to order up.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:03 PM

bplexico and Franklin: I will have to measure how far away I sit. If memory serves, it was around 11' , front plane to ears measurement. bplexico, I think you will really like Strange Days. I'll have to open the S/T record, since I bought that along w/ Strange Days. I am previously spoiled w/ the S/T record, on the 1st press Brown label. I like that pressing very much, but it is just a little noisy. I haven't heard the Brubeck T/O yet. So far, the QRP's I have are the two Doors, the Shelby Lynne, and the Cat Stevens: TEA.
I love the Shelby Lynne. Now on TEA, it is dynamic, quiet, highly detailed, but it's still not my favorite. It just sounds a tad tipped up for me. Perhaps that was
on the Analog Master, and they were going for that. The Doors: SD has all that going on, but still sounds so organically analog to me. Just to be clear, I do thank goodness for QRP. They do a masterful job, and more importantly, with great music. Oh, almost forgot: MF did review the Doors: S/T record on his analog planet website.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
FJN and BP,

Too funny! Have either of you tried the new QRP of Brubeck's Time Out? Simply ridiculous!

FWIW, My O's are about 9' apart, ~4' from the rear wall, and I sit about 13' out from there. My room is roughly 18'x44'. So it's quite large.

I am, as noted elsewhere, running 300B's with the Os. I think they sound superb. but I would not mind trying a shindo or wavac variant... One day...

Well damn you guys! I have an original Dave Brubeck's Time Out, this is another once I have been fence sitting on, lord save me...

Also I have considered the Oppo BDP 95 versus the AP Digimaster, haven't heard either and I had desired a unit that could also play SACDs, but I hear that call again, do you have the default power supply or the deluxe version? And what are you using for a transport?

Jonathan, you too will be the death of me...

Barr