AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 07-20-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post
Thanks Gbaby--not really interested in surround music, especially when not recorded that way. But I know you like it and I'm glad your happy.

Just considering some upgrade paths to go with my nes Focal Sopra #3s
Very nice speakers. I think that the only reason I enjoy two channel matrixed to surround is that all my drivers in seven speakers are the same and I get an enveloping sound that collapse in two channel. Not all music sound good in surround, but it is at least 95%. I listen to two channel through my BDA3. Are you trying to get a middle and surround speakers to go with the Focal Supra #3s?
Old 07-20-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Very nice speakers. I think that the only reason I enjoy two channel matrixed to surround is that all my drivers in seven speakers are the same and I get an enveloping sound that collapse in two channel. Not all music sound good in surround, but it is at least 95%. I listen to two channel through my BDA3. Are you trying to get a middle and surround speakers to go with the Focal Supra #3s?
I already have the middle. Holding off on the surrounds for now. they're expensive and my old ones are pretty good--plus there are placement issues I'm not ready to deal woth right now.

I'm looking to upgrade my 9Bsst2 before i do anything else. A 4B or a pair of 7Bs. I'd be fine with the 4, but I'd have to place it under the center, which would mean raising the center channel for clearance, and then I'd have to raise the TV, which is already blocking too much of my picture window.

So, I may end up with the 7B3s, which I'd place to the sides, behind the front L/R speakers.

Also deciding on whether to upgrade the BDP1 to a BDP3, and add a separate DAC.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I already have the middle. Holding off on the surrounds for now. they're expensive and my old ones are pretty good--plus there are placement issues I'm not ready to deal woth right now.

I'm looking to upgrade my 9Bsst2 before i do anything else. A 4B or a pair of 7Bs. I'd be fine with the 4, but I'd have to place it under the center, which would mean raising the center channel for clearance, and then I'd have to raise the TV, which is already blocking too much of my picture window.

So, I may end up with the 7B3s, which I'd place to the sides, behind the front L/R speakers.

Also deciding on whether to upgrade the BDP1 to a BDP3, and add a separate DAC.
I read Kal's review on the Focals and he intimated they are better suited for a large room. Is your room large? If not, I'd make the amp upgrade one of the last improvements.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I read Kal's review on the Focals and he intimated they are better suited for a large room. Is your room large? If not, I'd make the amp upgrade one of the last improvements.
20 x 35 with a 12 foot peak, open to two hallways. Why do the amps last?
Old 07-22-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
20 x 35 with a 12 foot peak, open to two hallways. Why do the amps last?
I change my mind. You do need a larger amp as those Vocals can reach down to a 3 ohm load.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:16 PM

moonhawk, no upgrade is going to make as big of a difference as your already upgraded speakers.

How loud do you listen to your music? Have you ever experienced clipping with your 9B-SST2?

If you listen at loud volumes then you probably won't get a lot of benefit from upgrading unless it's very loud. Going from a 9 to a 4 is basically just doubling the volume so you would only be getting a appx. 3db increase. So a 7 is going to be more noticeable.

The biggest difference you could gain in my opinion is if your room is somewhat treated and you listen at lower volumes, surprisingly. Bryston amps operate in Class A for the 1st few % of watts and the higher the wattage amp the more class A you have to work with when operating in the lower output range.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:36 PM

Thanks Rod--I don't listen at high volumes. More Class A is good, and more reserve for peaks is what I'm looking at, and the increased power supply capacitance, for better transients.

My understanding is the new amps are a differnt design from the 9B design. Also, in my experience, bigger amps sound punchier even at modest listening levels.

I'm sure I'd be very happy with the 4B3, but as I explained to Gbaby, the placement is more problematic.

I've been meaning to start a new thread about various upgrade options to see what folks here think.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks Rod--I don't listen at high volumes. More Class A is good, and more reserve for peaks is what I'm looking at, and the increased power supply capacitance, for better transients.

My understanding is the new amps are a differnt design from the 9B design. Also, in my experience, bigger amps sound punchier even at modest listening levels.

I'm sure I'd be very happy with the 4B3, but as I explained to Gbaby, the placement is more problematic.

I've been meaning to start a new thread about various upgrade options to see what folks here think.
Dave, I must say that Rod has made some good points. Too bad you don't like surround music as I'd work on my rear speakers. I wish you would at least try. There is a reason folks like Kal Robinson likes music in surround. I do too, accuracy be damn. Plus, the SP3 is first and foremost a surround processor.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Dave, I must say that Rod has made some good points. Too bad you don't like surround music as I'd work on my rear speakers. I wish you would at least try. There is a reason folks like Kal Robinson likes music in surround. I do too, accuracy be damn. Plus, the SP3 is first and foremost a surround processor.
Yeah, I know, but not enough music and too much like work to get it to work. My current surrounds are perfectly good speakers for surrounds, and I use the SP3 for movies and TV, which we use the system for about 20/1 over music.

Just want to maximize my 2channel music experience, and I'm well on the way.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I know, but not enough music and too much like work to get it to work. My current surrounds are perfectly good speakers for surrounds, and I use the SP3 for movies and TV, which we use the system for about 20/1 over music.

Just want to maximize my 2channel music experience, and I'm well on the way.
Are you using 5.1 or 7.1. Either way, try Dolby Pro Logic Iix music on your two channel sources. Or, try Stereo7 7.1 which is a proprietary surround codec from Bryston. Again, most of my surround sources are two channel in origin, but after listening to them in 5.1, the sound collapses in two channel.While two channel has more punch in the low frequencies in two channel, in 7.1, the sound is omnipresent and the notes are more pronounced. I own an Arcam AV9, and it doesn't process two channel in surround the way the Bryston processes it.