AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 04-24-2020, 03:17 PM

Default Michio Kaku - Are there Extra Dimensions?

Extra dimensions—beyond length, width, height—seem like the stuff of science fiction. What would extra dimensions be like?

https://youtu.be/RUlVFzl_BJs
Old 04-24-2020, 07:04 PM

Default Michio Kaku - Are there Extra Dimensions?

Oh dear...the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Multiple dimensions in the underlying mathematical models really don’t have to be spatial...all they relate to are degrees of freedom...and those can be absolutely abstract. A good example is Garrett Lisi’s attempt to fit QFT’s major accomplishment, the standard model, in the E8 Lie group, a beautiful discovery in group theory but so abstract few people on the planet really truly see it and understand it in its full glory.

Last edited by JemHadar; 04-25-2020 at 04:44 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:03 PM
Retired

My friend, the PhD mathematician, routinely works in multi-dimensional space. 9-D and such. If you understand it, is no big deal. He is primarily an algebraist. Works for him.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-25-2020, 12:06 PM

In my thread which is on this "General Discussion Forum" I made the statement that a great deal of basic science research is way off base and useless, except for the fact that people like theoretical physicists, must feed their families, and I respect that.

But this thread is pure speculation and even if any of it were true which we will never be able to prove, it would make zero difference.

There is no question that as humans we have a genome. There is much we don't understands about it. In my thread on this forum I posed a simple question: What are the 3 optimum bit assignments for the DNA Code? The response has been poor and it demonstrates the level of scientific and math ability actually present on the website. It is only average.

The answer to my question is a very complicated difficult math problem but it has an definite answer. It requires a significant knowledge of DNA biochemistry and Boolean algebra and the implications of the problem, once solved are concrete and I believe important/relevant.

Perhaps you all might ask one of the Ph.D math folks to solve my relatively simple little math problem in their spare time. We are currently experiencing a pandemic. In the not too distant future someone on AA, perhaps several on the website, will die of covid 19. I assure you that the scientific research this type of speculation fosters, will not result in a vaccine for covid.

This is what I mean by my statement that a huge amount of scientific research is completely useless and based on hunches, guesses, and pure speculation about things that cannot be proven in the laboratory.

Now if you think I'm stealing this thread, I'll stop. It seems that whenever a person says something even a little tangential, someone always chimes in "Charles, you are stealing this thread. Please start your own thread."

I have practically solved my math problem for one of these math geniuses that can think in 9 dimensions by supplying a lot more information than I should have.

Last edited by Charles; 04-25-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:33 PM

Default G

I don’t agree with you Charles. Nothing in science is a waste. If a theory or a hypothesis leads to a discovery, great, if not there are still lessons learned.

As to not being able to prove a theory... never say never. What’s impossible today may just be possible tomorrow. We are surprised by many things every year.

What would change if we were to prove other dimensions? Hmmm... one never knows as those experiments someday may lead to yet new discoveries that could change things as we know it. Could we live without ever proving or knowing the “many worlds theory” or the simulated reality theory, etc... I suppose we could, Homo sapiens got along just fine without electricity, radio, tv, internet, the atomic bomb and a whole bunch of the other “theoretical” stuff that became a part of everyday life.

As to your own question about optimum bit assignments to our DNA. I suppose the Anunnaki would have the best answer for that since they created our DNA. You can clearly see the double helix in the ancient sculpture and clay tablets of the Sumerian culture that brought us many things we use to this day.

Last edited by PHC1; 04-25-2020 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I don’t agree with you Charles. Nothing in science is a waste. If a theory or a hypothesis leads to a discovery, great, if not there are still lessons learned.

As to not being able to prove a theory... never say never. What’s impossible today may just be possible tomorrow. We are surprised by many things every year.

What would change if we were to prove other dimensions? Hmmm... one never knows as those experiments someday may lead to yet new discoveries that could change things as we know it. Could we live without ever proving or knowing the “many worlds theory” or the simulated reality theory, etc... I suppose we could, Homo sapiens got along just fine without electricity, radio, tv, internet, the atomic bomb and a whole bunch of the other “theoretical” stuff that became a part of everyday life.

As to your own question about optimum bit assignments to our DNA. I suppose the Anunnaki would have the best answer for that since they created our DNA. You can clearly see the double helix in the ancient sculpture and clay tablets of the Sumerian culture that brought us many things we use to this day.
PHC1,I genuinely respect your opinion but are you a scientist? Do you have an advanced degree? What is your field? I enjoy DNA replication, transcription, translation, DNA Code, and human genome organization.

I have an advanced degree. I understand fluids and electrolytes, cardiopulmonary physiology, all the basic biochemical metabolic pathways, and much much more.

I am also a student of science, having studied science as a concept for years. So that when I say that a significant portion of theoretical physics is these days is pure speculation, I believe I am correct. Since the large Hadron Collider has been a bust, now they are proposing to build an even larger one. What for?

In addition, although I'm a big fan of Star Wars and Star Trek, the actual universe has not proven very friendly, to the worldview consisting of numerous advanced alien races on numerous habitable planets. To the contrary, no life even microscopic life has been found and no Earth 2.0 has yet been found. How much money will be spent in this fruitless effort.

Other than providing bread on the table for these scientists, these type endeavors are a total waste of money.

In my opinion science in general is based on a false paradigm. This false paradigm has had the effect of severely diluting scientific research into numerous dead ends that only provides sustenance for the families of those that do it.

Many spend their entire lives publishing useless papers involved in useless speculation about the nature of the universe.

I point out that we have a virus afoot named covid 19. A virus is a very simple piece of biochemical hardware or software that is an agent of pure cellular destruction. Viruses invade cells and do great harm.

Yet our pathetic science is helpless in the face of this very simple piece of biochemistry.

Cancer is another example of medical science's severe failure. Our understanding of cancer remains very limited again because of the false paradigm that all of basic science medical research is laboring under.

A basic truth of science is that all of it is based on assumptions that cannot be proven. One cannot ever prove his assumptions. Therefore they must be chosen with great care based on the best evidence available.

Two examples, most theoretical physicists believe in a Big Bang, i.e. that the universe had a beginning from a singularity. Notice I said believe because a Big Bang cannot be proven. All data and theory is then interpreted on the basis of the unproven assumption of a Big Bang.

Another example is Evolution. Evolution is not really a theory. Evolution is a paradigm that is based on the best observable evidence. Basic medical science research is based on the "fact" of evolution.

But what if this "fact" is incorrect. PHC1, you may believe that DNA and hence the cell arose from the Anunnaki. Respectfully, it matters little what you believe, because I feel you have no advanced degree and certainly are not involved in cancer cell biology research.

But those that are involved and I know some that are, base and interpret all their findings including their funding and plans for new research projects on the "fact" of Evolution.

What if this "fact" of Evolution is wrong/incorrect? What if Evolution did not happen? I can tell you that basing one's research on an incorrect assumption will result in much of it being wasteful and useless.

Cancer is a fact. Covid 19 is a fact. Death is a fact. Pain and suffering are facts. Love of your family and friends are facts. Your existence is a fact. Notice that I did not place quotation marks around these facts.

I recently heard that astro physicists now believe the universe to be infinite. If so this poses very significant problems for theoretical physics.

This problem I posed of determining the optimum bit assignments for the DNA Code is very difficult to solve, requiring probably 10-20 hours of computer time and an advanced degree in EE. The results are surprising.

Medical science and in fact all of science is basically at a dead end. Under the current paradigm that science is under, which is false, there will certainly be advances but there will be no comprehensive cure for cancer and no treatment/cure for aging. 100 years from now the life expectancy for men will still be less than 80 currently it is 76 and women 85 currently it is 81. Our bodies are programmed to self destruct very quickly past the age of 90. There are reasons for this but the paradigm of Evolution sees this as a natural consequence of the ongoing evolutionary processes of the last 4 billion years. Very sad indeed.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 04-28-2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 02:30 PM

I’m not a scientist Charles. I don’t need to be a scientist to be curious, to read and to understand just enough of the topic to get a general picture without diving into advanced math or theories since I’m not involved with proving any theories myself.

I still don’t agree with your point of view of scientific research being a waste. If the funding is available, someone is interested enough in the topic, research away and see what comes out... But we can agree to disagree.

Perhaps the link below will serve as a thought on “what theoretical proposals achieve.” Imagine a world where scientific curiosity and experimentation is stifled because every scientist needs to be pragmatic and reasonable first and foremost.

“Advances in the knowledge of the laws of nature consisting either of experimental discoveries or theoretical proposals that were confirmed experimentally. “

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time...cs_discoveries
Old 04-28-2020, 04:30 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem666 View Post
Oh dear...the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Multiple dimensions in the underlying mathematical models really don’t have to be spatial...all they relate to are degrees of freedom...and those can be absolutely abstract. A good example is Garrett Lisi’s attempt to fit QFT’s major accomplishment, the standard model, in the E8 Lie group, a beautiful discovery in group theory but so abstract few people on the planet really truly see it and understand it in its full glory.
Yup. I've been following Garret's work and also Klee Irwin and his group's work at Gravity Research.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I’m not a scientist Charles. I don’t need to be a scientist to be curious, to read and to understand just enough of the topic to get a general picture without diving into advanced math or theories since I’m not involved with proving any theories myself.

I still don’t agree with your point of view of scientific research being a waste. If the funding is available, someone is interested enough in the topic, research away and see what comes out... But we can agree to disagree.

Perhaps the link below will serve as a thought on “what theoretical proposals achieve.” Imagine a world where scientific curiosity and experimentation is stifled because every scientist needs to be pragmatic and reasonable first and foremost.

“Advances in the knowledge of the laws of nature consisting either of experimental discoveries or theoretical proposals that were confirmed experimentally. “

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time...cs_discoveries
PHC1, if you are curious you are a scientist. Congratulations! I'm being serious, not sarcastic. I think the phrase "If you have the funding" is the key. In the current scientific environment if you don't base your research from an evolutionary viewpoint, you won't get any.

There are many of us who simply can't swallow evolution. It is far too unlikely. I hope you understand that evolution is an assumption. It is a paradigm. It cannot be proven but nevertheless has become a "fact" and our science has become diluted because of it.

Examples, the large hadron collider has been a complete bust. Solution, let's spend another 10-20 billion and build a larger one.

Another, the Hubble telescope hasn't found an earth 2.0. Solution, let's build another larger telescope, James Webb scheduled to be deployed in about 7-10 years. Maybe we will find one.

Another, let's go to Mars. Why? Maybe we will find life there. Question? How you gonna land since Mars has basically no atmosphere. Answer, we don't know but we are sure with enough money we will figure it out! In the meantime we can't even get a man in orbit around the earth, since the space shuttle went extinct.

Suppose I could tell you with 100% certainty life does not exist on Mars. What then would be the point of going? Answer: because it's there. How dumb and wasteful.

Let's begin by stating that all life as we know it is based on a very elegant code, the DNA Code. Does anyone think a code exists on Mars? Because if it doesn't, Life doesn't exist on Mars. I will put it to anyone on the website or anywhere else, that a code cannot evolve. It is impossible for evolution to produce a code, any code. I can't swallow evolution anymore because I know it's impossible for even a simple virus to evolve, much less the proverbial primordial "cell".

Next, if anybody on AA wants to know where the action is it is found in the last 2-3 hundred pages of a reference text biochemistry book. That's where the genome is explained and the DNA Code, molecule, and organization of the genome reside.

Perhaps before we go off on wild goose chases maybe just maybe we should focus much more of our attention to the production of vaccines and medical treatments that actually work. There's a lotta biochemistry in the back of the book that has been misinterpreted.

Suppose I was to tell you that a virologist that bases his research on an evolutionary paradigm doesn't even know what a virus fundamentally is. Why? Because a virus can't arise by random chance.

Again our science has been diluted and basically destroyed by a false paradigm. You say, "Charles, how dare you question the very foundation of what we all worship and take great pride in, the hallowed halls of science".

I say, sorry, when you can confidently say to me I can live to 120 years free of disease or pain, because of my science, then I might be a little impressed. But when you are 50 years old and you wake up with that hemorrhage or mass or pain and you go to your doctor who is in worse shape than you were before your current illness, and you discover you have a fatal malignancy, your revered science can't save you. Sorry, I'm singularly unimpressed by modern science.

When I was young I read every science fiction book available. I was convinced that science was the answer. I believed in evolution, worshiped evolution. I can absolutely explain our genome in terms of it. Makes perfect sense. However, I would be absolutely wrong. Evolution didn't happen so no matter how plausible it seems, my explanation would be incorrect.

Evolution prevents us from asking the questions that need to be asked about the biochemistry that exists in the back of the book and dilutes our science into numerous expensive dead ends. In the meantime we are dying from a weak ineffective medical science that is pathetic. Think about it: a cleverly packaged piece of DNA or RNA has felled us. If our science is so powerful, why are we afraid of covid 19?

An example of a question that ought to be asked: Why don't we have multiple alleles? If we did diseases like cystic fibrosis would not exist. It is very strange that for important proteins we don't have multiple redundant genes.

Another question: the cell is totally dependent on diffusion to transfer information from one place to another. Diffusion thus becomes very necessary for DNA replication, transcription, and translation to proceed. Diffusion is the root cause of mutation and errors in protein production. Why doesn't a better method of information transfer exist? Did it ever exist in human cells?

Why is 99% of our genome non coding? Seems like a waste of space. Hmmm, seems like I heard that phrase before.

Why DNA replication in only one direction, thus reducing our telomeres every time a cell divides until it can't divide anymore? Why don't the enzymes exist so that DNA can replicate in both directions?

Why no telomerase? We have the gene but it is inactive.

Could mutation itself be a disease? Could aging be a disease? Is our genome fundamentally malfunctioning? Was there ever a time when our genome was free of mutation and aging? Why heck no, Charles, how can you say that?? Mutation is how we got here in the first place!! Let's kick Charles off AA because he has committed heresy because he has come to the conclusion, we are not products of random chance. Conclusion of modern science: nothing that evolved can be malfunctioning or broken. Aging, disease, and death are natural evolutionary processes that make way for the next evolutionary advance. Thus we are dissolved and put back into the ground. You may "love" evolution. It ain't love'in you back I can tell you that.

These are some very important questions that are either glossed over or never asked because because evolution absolutely prevents them from being asked. If you are an evolutionary scientist, no matter your IQ or genius, you are in a box. You are in a cage. You interpret all your data and formulate all your theories on the basis of something that never happened: Evolution.

However, in the meantime Charles would say very humbly, we are dying at a very rapid rate. Our average lifespan is 78 years in the USA and decreasing.

Last edited by Charles; 05-02-2020 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
PHC1, if you are curious you are a scientist. Congratulations! I'm being serious, not sarcastic. I think the phrase "If you have the funding" is the key. In the current scientific environment if you don't base your research from an evolutionary viewpoint, you won't get any.

There are many of us who simply can't swallow evolution. It is far too unlikely. I hope you understand that evolution is an assumption. It is a paradigm. It cannot be proven but nevertheless has become a "fact" and our science has become diluted because of it....
I really enjoyed this post, Charles. Lots to think about. Thanks.

Cheers,

Scott