AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 05-13-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crion2 View Post
Do you have a Furutech NCF outlet on-hand to do some simple evaluation?

I still hope for a Schuko version if it would be superior to the Furutech NCF outlet.
Yes I do. It is currently installed in ceiling for my projector. I will remove it and replace it with the Shunyata SR-Z1 that I am currently using for my amplifier. I think I will install the NCF in the meantime I receive the CopperCONN just for comparison sake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7909.jpg (81.4 KB, 55 views)
Old 05-13-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
Yes I do. It is currently installed in ceiling for my projector. I will remove it and replace it with the Shunyata SR-Z1 that I am currently using for my amplifier. I think I will install the NCF in the meantime I receive the CopperCONN just for comparison sake.
I'm really interested to read what you think of the Copperconn versus the Furutech NCF.

They are the only 2 duplexes I'm considering trying.

My reference, for now, is the Audioquest Edison, which I think may be perfect for my tastes.
I've owned and used Furutech's GTX-D (gold as well as rhodium) and Audience duplexes made by Cardas (also rhodium plated) but I've come to the conclusion that my ears and rhodium don't seem to get along.

By next week, I have a cryo'd and burned in Hubbell 5362 headed my way to serve as a baseline in any comparisons I do. I also just want to hear what the best (I guess it is?) mass market outlet sounds like. It's good enough to serve as the basis for other manufacturer's tweaked outlets (Shunyata among others) so it must have some positive attributes.

Is there some reason you put the NCF on your projector as opposed to the audio side of your system?

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 05-13-2020, 05:18 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
I'm really interested to read what you think of the Copperconn versus the Furutech NCF.

My reference, for now, is the Audioquest Edison, which I think may be perfect for my tastes.
I've owned and used Furutech's GTX-D (gold as well as rhodium) and Audience duplexes made by Cardas (also rhodium plated) but I've come to the conclusion that my ears and rhodium don't seem to get along.

By next week, I have a cryo'd and burned in Hubbell 5362 headed my way to serve as a baseline in any comparisons I do. I also just want to hear what the best (I guess it is?) mass market outlet sounds like. It's good enough to serve as the basis for other manufacturer's tweaked outlets (Shunyata among others) so it must have some positive attributes.

Is there some reason you put the NCF on your projector as opposed to the audio side of your system?
There is a reason your ears don't get along with rhodium: because it doesn't sound good.

I think I remember a post from Caelin last year some time that Shunyata did extensive research/listening tests with respect to various metals and metal plating-types for outlets/receptacales, and rhodium did not fare well at all.

IIRC, this research led specifically to the development of the CopperCONN outlets, speaker cable terminations, and plug connectors.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:23 PM

https://www.dedicatedaudio.com/produ...le-outlet-each
Old 05-13-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
There is a reason your ears don't get along with rhodium: because it doesn't sound good.

I think I remember a post from Caelin last year some time that Shunyata did extensive research/listening tests with respect to various metals and metal plating-types for outlets/receptacales, and rhodium did not fare well at all.

IIRC, this research led specifically to the development of the CopperCONN outlets, speaker cable terminations, and plug connectors.
I remember that post, here on AA, and it was one of the few times I've read someone feeling the same as I do about rhodium.

I get it. Rhodium sounds fast and dynamic. But for me, it alters tone too much.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

Old 05-13-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwhog View Post
My guess is that the Copperconn won't look like that.

That's a picture of the SR-Z1 aka Hubbell, as best as I can figure, because there's yet to be any marketing pictures of the Copperconn that I'm aware of.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:32 PM

I had 5 sets of 105D NCF outlets, cover plates, etc...for a few months. Sold them not too long after. The special metals and high technology got in the way for me and my system IMHO of natural musical reproduction. When I put back my Avatar Acoustics Afterburner8 pure copper/no rare earth metals or carbon fiber outlets the music returned to my liking. Going to Shunyata TRITON v3 which has CopperCONN outlets delivered even more such benefits. When CopperConn individual outlets are available as singleton items, I will also go to them ASAP in the walls. Best duplex I have ever used...

YMMV and this is one guy's opinion.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:05 PM

Default Shunyata CopperCONN Duplex Release?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
I had 5 sets of 105D NCF outlets, cover plates, etc...for a few months. Sold them not too long after. The special metals and high technology got in the way for me and my system IMHO of natural musical reproduction. When I put back my Avatar Acoustics Afterburner8 pure copper/no rare earth metals or carbon fiber outlets the music returned to my liking. Going to Shunyata TRITON v3 which has CopperCONN outlets delivered even more such benefits. When CopperConn individual outlets are available as singleton items, I will also go to them ASAP in the walls. Best duplex I have ever used...

YMMV and this is one guy's opinion.

They’re available now, Ivan mentioned earlier in this thread that he’s already sold some, and I got one from my dealer and installed it on my 20 amp circuit a couple of weeks ago. It replaced a Shunyata Z1 outlet so the change was subtle, but it was there - for me it was an improvement in imaging specificity, but ymmv.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 05-13-2020 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
They’re available now, Ivan mentioned earlier in this thread that he’s already sold some, and I got one from my dealer and installed it on my 20 amp circuit a couple of weeks ago. It replaced a Shunyata Z1 outlet so the change was subtle, but it was there - for me it was an improvement in imaging specificity, but ymmv.
Interesting....
Did you receive it in any kind of retail packaging?
How did it differ visually from the SR-Z1?

Old 05-13-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post

About the NCF for my projector application, I have read many user reports stating that the NCF made the sound cleaner and detailed. I wanted to see if this would translate for video applications and I wanted to have one for a while. It turns out that there was not so much difference after installing this outlet to feed my projector. And I even noticed the colors to not be as vibrant as they were with a standard Leviton outlet. I was a bit surprised actually. Maybe too squeaky clean? I don't know. Maybe I would need to recalibrate the projector and/or have to have a 4K projector to see the benefits.

For the CopperCONN for sound applications, I actually prefer this design approach where no plating (rhodium, gold, copper, or else) is applied and instead they are using only the best copper available. With my experience with the cruzeFIRST Maestro outlets last year, I became a real believer in aftermarket audio grade outlets. This model also makes no use of any plating and it sounds like it. I find the sound to have many layers "peeled off" and it actually make the music "there" and intimate, more natural.

My current SR-Z1 will be moved for the projector application with a Venom V14 and Venom Defender. The two CopperCONN will feed my amplifier, DAC and streamer, plus probably another Venom Defender.

I will swap the NCF and SR-Z1 and compare how it sounds. When I receive the CopperCONN I will be able to evaluate it against both.

Last edited by Parabellum; 05-13-2020 at 10:42 PM.