AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 02-20-2015, 06:42 PM

Default iFi Retro System (from makers of AMR and iFi mini components)...

Hey folks...received an email from MusicDirect.com highlighting this new iFi system called Retro for obvious styling reasons, although amp is a one-stop shop able of decoding any digital input, also has headphone output, MM/MC phono, as well as being a 25 wpc EL-84 based tube integrated amplifier. The speakers are based on Rogers LS3/5A monitor design and both are encased in Bamboo with the speakers having retro cream or black cloth grills. I am sure the digital conversion, heaphone amp, as well as the MM/MC phono is based on all the small individual iFi products which have received very positive reviews in their own right and so this is a way for iFi to roll all those small separate components into an integrated amp mated to EL84 tube power.

You can get the integrated amp separately priced at $1,295 and the speakers separately at $995 or buy them together and save a little over $300 for system price of $1,995.

Forum rules don't allow me to place a link to the site but you can search for iFi Retro at the MD site and find out system specs and all that there.
Link to iFi website with even more description of system: http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/retro-stereo-50/

The amp seems to be the winner in the package. Not familiar with the Rogers speaker designs although know they are a classic English design but I am sure you can find other monitor or even tower speakers that are tube friendly (i.e., >6ohm and relatively flat impedance curve as well as 93dB+ sensitivity) to mesh well with the amps rated 25wpc of El84 tube power.

Has anyone seen or heard this? I wonder if you add a decent $1,000 sub like the REL T7 or something similar for the grand total of $3K what kind of sound you can achieve. I am willing to bet that this could be a great second system or vacation home system or even primary kick-ass system that overachieves its price point.

It will be interesting if this starts getting positively reviewed if the pricing stays where it is.

Thoughts?

Last edited by cmalak; 02-20-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:13 PM
Life is beautiful

Cyril, I just got a message about this (a Dutch newsletter) in my mailbox too.
It seems like a really nice all-in-one.
And we know iFi makes great products...
I would have liked a CD-tray though, but I guess I'm hopelessly old-fashioned.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 02-20-2015, 07:20 PM

Bart...you can just hook up your Oppo to one of the multiple digital inputs on the integrated and voila...
Old 02-21-2015, 05:40 AM

This would be great as a little bedroom system.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:32 PM

Bedroom, office, primary system for new entrant into our hobby...attractive retro looks, tons of functional flexibility (incl tube rolling) between supporting all digital formats and multiple digital inputs, plus MM/MC phono stage and headphone amp, matched amp to speaker, and attractive price point from a manufacturer with good high end cred. All this at a price point similar to what a mass market receiver and pair of speakers from a big box retailer like BestBuy would go for. What's not to like? :-)
Old 02-21-2015, 12:58 PM

It's not identical, but the look reminds me of the Leben CS300. I like the visual statement.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:54 PM

Really nice piece. This is exactly where the audio industry needs to concentrate. Reasonably priced, high style and performance. Connections to enable integration with modern players, phones and a shout out to today's hipsters with the phono stage.

Last edited by Family Progtitioner; 02-21-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Progtitioner View Post
Really nice piece. This is exactly where the audio industry needs to concentrate. Reasonably priced, high style and performance. Connections to enable integration with modern players, phones and a shout out to today's hipsters with the phono stage.
Agreed