AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Isolation, Tips & Tweaks

Isolation, Tips & Tweaks Enhance your enjoyment

Old 01-15-2017, 11:20 AM

Default Suspended wooden floor

In my new flat I have suspended wooden floor and despite the speakers being on a marble slab or the TT rack being weighted down, I still have some issues with the floor.

Anytime I walk past the speaker the whole thing moves and if the TT is playing then the needle would jump. I'm trying to find a solution that would help cure this.

Has anyone tried the townshend products ? According to the website it seems to be interesting
http://www.townshendaudio.com/hi-fi-...eaker-podiums/

The speakers are the SF Elipsa so not the easiest for stillpoints and they would be above my budget anyway.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:31 AM

Georges...do you have access to the underside of the floor? If so, some strategic blocking under the rack location to support the floor may help.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:50 AM

Hi antipop.
It doesn't sound, good with the floor behaving like that. Is it possible to get under the floor and but some more "lumber" under to make a better support. It could sound like there is at bit too much spacing between the wood underneath.
Flemming
Old 01-15-2017, 12:11 PM

Sadly this is a rental and I do not own the place so it would be very difficult for me to access the underside if not impossible.

I have to do with what I have unfortunately
Old 01-15-2017, 12:13 PM

The Townshend support or something similar may help with the speakers if you can't get underneath the floor as Michael suggested. For the turntable, the best solution will probably be a wall shelf.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 01-15-2017, 12:26 PM

Even though its a rental putting supports underneath is imo the only satisfactory answer. Somewhere there will be a hatch leading to the crawlspace under the floor, under a rug or a loose carpet perhaps? If possible mark and move the heavy objects like speakers etc before placing any supports (to keep floor level).
I have suspended flooring and acro and wood supports was the only answer I found to work effectively.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGremlin View Post
Even though its a rental putting supports underneath is imo the only satisfactory answer. Somewhere there will be a hatch leading to the crawlspace under the floor, under a rug or a loose carpet perhaps? If possible mark and move the heavy objects like speakers etc before placing any supports (to keep floor level).
I have suspended flooring and acro and wood supports was the only answer I found to work effectively.
I really don't see how I can do that. I live in a flat and not a house so there is no crawlspace AFAIK
Old 01-15-2017, 12:44 PM

Then i think the Townshend is an interesting product, and a wall shelf for the turntable.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:35 PM

There will be no crawlspace in a flat, so I agree with others - wall mount your turntable. Speakers are more tricky... nothing immediately springs to mind, if the floor is moving.
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 01-15-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John49 View Post
There will be no crawlspace in a flat, so I agree with others - wall mount your turntable. Speakers are more tricky... nothing immediately springs to mind, if the floor is moving.
Pun intended (springs) ?

I will have a look into wall mount though I would have preferred something easier.