AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 12-01-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman View Post
A quick chime in. I've owned my 802D2 for close to 5 years and over time, it's become better and better with the assortment of music I listen to. Upgraditis kicked in when i heard about the d3 so I auditioned them when they appeared in the showroom. They were very nice (not crazy about the looks though) but at a significant premium over what I originally paid, that on a bang for buck equation, didnt work for me as the % bang wasnt equal or more than the % increase in buck.

Through discussions with my dealer and reading the forums here, I then decided to invest in a B&W DB1 to augment the 802D2 and to rationalise my 2 setups with one sub for both music and HT duties. After fussing around (see other threads on preamp and DB1), I am hearing my system like I've never experienced before and even I dare say, content for the first time...ok maybe a 2nd DB1 if I can hide it from the wife.

Having said that, do i like the d3s? Most definitely. Better than now, not sure but definitely different. Which brings me to my ultimate point. I've been observing a very interesting phenomenon and not restricted to the realm of these B&W speakers. I find a lot of people take the new is better approach so far that to reinforce such notions, involves making the point that previous iterations are just less worthy. I read that a lot in reviews and on forums such as these.

The d3s are good but with their release, it really hasnt made my d2s bad. They didnt just go past its expiry date because something replaced it. I'm a huge car guy and every generation of newer models are supposed to be better (and technically they are) than the previous version. However, when I drive my "older" version of the cars, they are still fantastic! So yes, the newer is good but it hasnt made my older worst.

Does this make sense to anyone else other than myself?
I'm usually one who wants the "newer" model of whatever, but this totally makes sense to me and something I need to remind myself of.

Aurender N10 / Ayre QX-5 Twenty / Ayre KX-R Twenty / Ayre MX-R Twenty / Wilson Sasha DAW / Isotek TITAN and EVO3 / Transparent Reference / Meze Empyrean
Old 12-01-2016, 07:49 AM

Exactly the point I've made, repeatedly. Something well made is always well made.

Quote:
A quick chime in. I've owned my 802D2 for close to 5 years and over time, it's become better and better with the assortment of music I listen to. Upgraditis kicked in when i heard about the d3 so I auditioned them when they appeared in the showroom. They were very nice (not crazy about the looks though) but at a significant premium over what I originally paid, that on a bang for buck equation, didnt work for me as the % bang wasnt equal or more than the % increase in buck.

Through discussions with my dealer and reading the forums here, I then decided to invest in a B&W DB1 to augment the 802D2 and to rationalise my 2 setups with one sub for both music and HT duties. After fussing around (see other threads on preamp and DB1), I am hearing my system like I've never experienced before and even I dare say, content for the first time...ok maybe a 2nd DB1 if I can hide it from the wife.

Having said that, do i like the d3s? Most definitely. Better than now, not sure but definitely different. Which brings me to my ultimate point. I've been observing a very interesting phenomenon and not restricted to the realm of these B&W speakers. I find a lot of people take the new is better approach so far that to reinforce such notions, involves making the point that previous iterations are just less worthy. I read that a lot in reviews and on forums such as these.

The d3s are good but with their release, it really hasnt made my d2s bad. They didnt just go past its expiry date because something replaced it. I'm a huge car guy and every generation of newer models are supposed to be better (and technically they are) than the previous version. However, when I drive my "older" version of the cars, they are still fantastic! So yes, the newer is good but it hasnt made my older worst.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:

I am a long time Bower and Wilkins owner and started with the Nautilus 802 which I purchased in 1999 and owned for over 12 years before I upgraded to the 802D2's and have had to the pleasure of listening to them for over 4 years.

The improvement in sound quality was substantial based on the improvements to the driver technology and revisions. When I purchased the new 802D2's a big difference was upgrading electronics with new Amplifier (Classe Delta CA2300) and new Ayre Preamp which was a huge difference just in itself.

I have also over the last 4 years made changes in my turntable, phono preamplifier, cartridge and again upgrading to the next level up Ayre Preamp (KX-5 Twenty). The 802 Diamonds clearly allowed me to hear every change in components and they sound absolutely fantastic.

When the new 802D3's came out I was not sure I liked the new look of the design and also the significant price increase, however I knew I had to hear them and see what they looked like in person. When I heard them I immediately heard a difference in the sound stage which seemed much larger along with the treble being distinctly better and tighter bass response. After going back to the dealer I made a deal to purchase the new 802D3 in Classic Black. Previously I had Rosenut which I loved but the Black just looks more elegant in our family room.

After hooking them up and playing around with the positioning, they ended up in exactly the same place as the old 802D2 with the same degree of toe-in with the tweeters crossing approximately 18 inches behind my ears. After lowering the spikes down into place I sat down with my wife for a serious listen.

While I loved my old D2's, the new 802D3 is in another world and class sound-wise. I am hearing music that I have not heard before. My wife and I during each musical selection I played looked at each other at least 3 times per song in disbelieve and awe as to what we were hearing. She said it is hard to believe there is more sound in the grooves to hear that we have never noticed before.

Starting with the treble, the cymbals just sound more alive suspended in the air and blending perfectly with the rest of the music. The 802D2 also plays cymbals well, but the changes to the motor, housing and surround used in the D3 just makes the treble significantly more pure and realistic sounding.

If you don't get the mid-range right nothing else will sound correct. When I heard the head of R&D Martial Rousseau state that the new Continuum driver is the largest acoustic break through B&W has achieved since the diamond tweeter, I was wondering if this was just marketing talk or real. Listening to vocals through the 802D3 is a revelation. The voices just sound like the artist is in the room with you and sounded so alive if I closed my eyes I could imagine them singing with a live microphone feed just in front of me. My wife who I believe has better ears than mine, commented over and over just how good the vocals sound and I have never seen her singing out loud to every song we both new and she was just completely taken by what she was hearing just like I was.

The other thing we marveled at was how clearly we could hear the layering of different instruments in a panoramic sound stage like nothing I have ever experienced before. The ability to play the piano correctly is much improved from the previous generation as the speakers reveal all of the complex harmonics that make a piano sound live.
The bass is incredible. I did not believe the specifications that showed the 802D3 goes down deeper in frequency response than the D2 series and even though B&W is using a different way to measure the response, I can hear and feel just how solid and clear the bass is. The bass to me is a huge step up from the D2's in terms of clarity and speed and is very tight. Previously with the 802D2 I could hear the tone of most bass instruments clearly (this improved dramatically with the insertion of my new Ayre Preamp), but with the D3 bass has taken on a whole new level of clarity and goes so deep and clean it is almost unbelievable that such an improvement could be made. If you are a fan of percussion instruments or bass guitar these speakers will not disappoint.

I do not want to knock the 802D2 but at times I felt the mid bass could be a touch too heavy (which I thought I really like as I love great bass), but it does not blend as well into the rest of the music which could be one of the reasons the midrange on the new 802D3 sounds better.

Finally, I am just in awe over the beauty of these speakers with a fit and finish that is amazing. I have read in one review where the statement was made that the finish on these speakers put to shame Wilson Audio and is better than a $200K Porsche Turbo. All I can say is the piano black finish is flawless and it appears the speakers where dipped in a gloss black paint which is a mirror finish. My friend has the 802D2 in piano black and these are definitely a big step up in quality of finish.

I would love to have a chance to meet the R&D folks and thank them personally for what I feel is a tremendous accomplishment by the engineers at B&W. To launch this new series on their 50th Anniversary is very special indeed.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:10 PM

I love my 802D3... I agree... a big step up from my previous 802D2.

The piano black finish is a step up as well. Overall, happy with my purchase.

Now... where's that 800D3...
Old 12-13-2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
I love my 802D3... I agree... a big step up from my previous 802D2.

The piano black finish is a step up as well. Overall, happy with my purchase.

Now... where's that 800D3...

Well that says a lot coming from someone who just went through Sonus Faber Stradivari and Rockport Avior before the B&W is that right?
Old 10-30-2019, 07:56 PM

I've changed my B&W 802 D2 for a B&W 800 D2 one year ago, so the burn-in period were totally fullfilled (like I did with the 802 D2). My electronics, cables, listening room and speaker position are exactly the same. The room is 13 by 20 feet. The speakers are approximately 1.6 feet from the walls and around 8 feet apart each other, and 8 feet away from the listening position. I just changed the speakers, from 802D2 to 800D2, nothing else, . Bass is much better with the 800 D2, but midrange and high frequencies were better with the 802 D2. They were cleaner and softer. I think the 800D2 need a larger room ... Any thoughts or similar experience?
Old 10-30-2019, 11:14 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

skwitko... Welcome to AA!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 10-31-2019, 07:38 PM

What amps are you using? It might be the case of underpowering the 800. Share more words about what is happening to the sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skwitko View Post
I've changed my B&W 802 D2 for a B&W 800 D2 one year ago, so the burn-in period were totally fullfilled (like I did with the 802 D2). My electronics, cables, listening room and speaker position are exactly the same. The room is 13 by 20 feet. The speakers are approximately 1.6 feet from the walls and around 8 feet apart each other, and 8 feet away from the listening position. I just changed the speakers, from 802D2 to 800D2, nothing else, . Bass is much better with the 800 D2, but midrange and high frequencies were better with the 802 D2. They were cleaner and softer. I think the 800D2 need a larger room ... Any thoughts or similar experience?
Old 11-05-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwitko View Post
Bass is much better with the 800 D2, but midrange and high frequencies were better with the 802 D2. They were cleaner and softer. I think the 800D2 need a larger room ... Any thoughts or similar experience?

The head unit is identical so it should also sound identical. One minor difference is the height of the 800D2, which is slightly taller, so it could be that you need to tilt the speaker forward slightly to realign the listening axis. This is quite critical with all 800 series B&W's.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:35 PM

New 803d3 owner here. Definitely better sounder than the previous 802 to my ear. Regarding low end extension, the specifications state 19 hz but that is at -3db. 30hz is more like it. Luckily I have pair of db1's which more than fill any gap in the less than 30hz spectrum with aplomb and are perfectly matched. Round about way for D800 performance level but I did own the subs already 🙂 Thoroughly delighted and impressed.