AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 10-03-2014, 04:29 AM

Default MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs

I added a MrSpeakers Alpha Dog to my headphone "collection" yesterday.

I felt I needed a closed headphone to be able to listen while my wife is watching TV. My initial plan was to go Audeze LCD-XC, but then I stumbled across a used Alpha Dog and given the great reviews everywere took the plunge.

Man, these are some great headphones, they do almost everything my Audeze LCD-2.2 do, except for the lows, that's where the Audeze really excel . They work great with my Bakoon HPA-01 as well. Have not yet tried them on the Schiit Mjolnir, but will as soon as I have the balanced cable for them.

Next step is to replace the stock cable and all should be fine again in head-fi land

Great to see many aftermarket cable brands now offer solutions for the Alpha Dogs as well. I heard some great stuff about The Nordost Heimdall 2 cable, but as I need 14 ft that would be twice the price of the headphones in cables....... Maybe I'm going to check out Forza Audioworks, hear some good stuff about their cables as well.

Anybody here using the Alpha Dogs with some aftermarket cables that has some cable suggestions?????

I also got some Doggy Treats (!) so I can see if I would like to "tame them down" a little bit. And the bass performance can be improved via the little screws that control the air vents. MrSpeakers calls it tube rolling for headphones, nice touches IMHO.

Last edited by gerzom; 10-03-2014 at 04:35 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:40 PM

I have had my Alpha Dogs for a couple of months and like them very much. I have ordered
and am waiting for some Vanquish cables by Norne Audio. You might read about them on head-fi.org, not too expensive but really recommended for the AD's...
Old 10-14-2014, 11:59 PM

I came home to my Vanquish cables by Norne Audio. I highly recommend you investigate them... IME and without break-in they added open mids and treble without harming the bass, and the bass got even better in the first 2 hours. I got my 4ft stripped down cables
for under $200!