AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 01-03-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redm View Post
PS Audio Power Outlet for my P5 power conditioner connection.

I use Hubbell HBL8362's for Sub's and anything else I need to plug in.

I might need some Hubbell HBL8362's, like Derek uses though, since they're the 'proper' green color, ha ha

David
Old 01-04-2013, 05:19 PM

I listened to one record, Joni Mitchell: Blue. It is a first Press-US. This was the freshest in my mind, as I had listened to it the previous night w/ the Hubbells.
I replaced 3 Hubbell 5362's w/ the Jena 5362's, all on their own dedicated 20A circuit. I plug the Monbrison in to one, and then each CC mono in to it's own.
Initial reaction is neither positive or negative, it's too early for that. One thing is for sure, it sounds different. The Cryo'ed outlets have an increased presence,
the first few notes sounded like my TT speed had increased. Leading edge of notes sound more defined to me. There is a bit more jump factor. Not in line with a component upgrade, but a tweak that does have an effect. I am not much of a tweaker, unlike some of my friends. I just like to sit down and enjoy the music. I had the Jena Outlets sitting there, so why not! I was shown by a friend/electrician how to install outlets, so I am comfortable w/ the exercise.
I will listen to the Jena's for a while, and see if there are any negatives.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn04 View Post
I listened to one record, Joni Mitchell: Blue. It is a first Press-US. This was the freshest in my mind, as I had listened to it the previous night w/ the Hubbells.
I replaced 3 Hubbell 5362's w/ the Jena 5362's, all on their own dedicated 20A circuit. I plug the Monbrison in to one, and then each CC mono in to it's own.
Initial reaction is neither positive or negative, it's too early for that. One thing is for sure, it sounds different. The Cryo'ed outlets have an increased presence,
the first few notes sounded like my TT speed had increased. Leading edge of notes sound more defined to me. There is a bit more jump factor. Not in line with a component upgrade, but a tweak that does have an effect. I am not much of a tweaker, unlike some of my friends. I just like to sit down and enjoy the music. I had the Jena Outlets sitting there, so why not! I was shown by a friend/electrician how to install outlets, so I am comfortable w/ the exercise.
I will listen to the Jena's for a while, and see if there are any negatives.
Hey fjn04-

Thanks for the report-

What about using a 'conditioner' like the Mister T ?

David
Old 01-05-2013, 05:05 PM

I listened a bit more last night. I now feel the Cryo 5362 may sound a tad sterile, and not quite as natural. I may just go back to my standard Hubbell. There is one other interesting outlet, the Hubbell 8300. The 5362 contacts are brass, while the 8300 has nickel plated brass contacts. The latter is hospital grade, while the 5362 is not. The 5362 is $20, while the 8300 goes for $24. It looks like I may not be a Cryo guy after all. That kind of figures, since I always hated the cold.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I listened a bit more last night. I now feel the Cryo 5362 may sound a tad sterile, and not quite as natural. I may just go back to my standard Hubbell. There is one other interesting outlet, the Hubbell 8300. The 5362 contacts are brass, while the 8300 has nickel plated brass contacts. The latter is hospital grade, while the 5362 is not. The 5362 is $20, while the 8300 goes for $24. It looks like I may not be a Cryo guy after all. That kind of figures, since I always hated the cold.
Hey fjn04-

Perhaps like all audio equip., it needs a break-in period.....

Have patience ! (IMHO), ha ha- Don't rip 'em out yet... Jennifer knows her stuff !

David
Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 PM

Hi David- I hear ya, but I used these before with another system. Jena Labs does have an excellent rep, no doubt. I just want to keep it simple, and make a basic safe choice. In researching (and going crazy), I am reading about some different materials. For instance, the Hubbell 5362 has BRASS contacts. The HG
Hubbell 8300 has nickel plated, BRASS contacts. It seems nickel isn't preferred for audio outlets. That's why I figure toss the 5362's back in, and ride off in to the sunset. Shindo has allowed me to not obsess, I hate to fall off the wagon.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:58 PM

I did decide to go back to the standard Hubbell outlets. Again, all this was motivated by the fact I had those Jena outlets. Otherwise, it's doubtful I would have done this little electrician experiment. The last thing I listened to with the Jena's was The Jerry Garcia Band: Cats Under The Stars on vinyl. It sounded a bit forced through the Cryoed outlets. So even with the increased presence, and other things I had mentioned, I couldn't live w/ the negatives. When I cued up that JGB album w/ the Hubbells back in, it sounded more relaxed and natural. That certainly mixes well with Shindo. They say Jerry used to do his Heroin, and balance himself out with cocaine. With the Cryoed outlets, it sounded like the band ran out of Heroin. Nothing like a good drug analogy to keep the Shindo forum interesting.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I did decide to go back to the standard Hubbell outlets. Again, all this was motivated by the fact I had those Jena outlets. Otherwise, it's doubtful I would have done this little electrician experiment. The last thing I listened to with the Jena's was The Jerry Garcia Band: Cats Under The Stars on vinyl. It sounded a bit forced through the Cryoed outlets. So even with the increased presence, and other things I had mentioned, I couldn't live w/ the negatives. When I cued up that JGB album w/ the Hubbells back in, it sounded more relaxed and natural. That certainly mixes well with Shindo. They say Jerry used to do his Heroin, and balance himself out with cocaine. With the Cryoed outlets, it sounded like the band ran out of Heroin. Nothing like a good drug analogy to keep the Shindo forum interesting.
Nice advertising slogan....

"Our outlets, when used with your stereo gear, will make you feel just like 'back in the day', when you were on speedballs ! Ya baby !"

Ha ha-

David