AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 11-16-2017, 04:12 PM

Streaming will be the future for most of us, not all.
Tidal gives me MQA streaming that sounds fantastic for $20/mo.
Very high quality D/A converters are dropping in price.
It's amazing what you get for $2000.
Add a $1,000 headphone and $500 head amp and you have a high end system for $3500. No need to spend $35k or more.
Add your choice of speakers and amps instead and up the ante a bit - not much, and you've got a killer 2 channel system.
No need for an expensive TT and cartridge, phono amp, record cleaning machine, LP shelving, etc.
No need for an expensive CD/SACD player.
No need for an expensive network player.

For music lovers, these are the good old days!
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 11-16-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Streaming will be the future for most of us, not all.
Tidal gives me MQA streaming that sounds fantastic for $20/mo.
Very high quality D/A converters are dropping in price.
It's amazing what you get for $2000.
Add a $1,000 headphone and $500 head amp and you have a high end system for $3500. No need to spend $35k or more.
Add your choice of speakers and amps instead and up the ante a bit - not much, and you've got a killer 2 channel system.
No need for an expensive TT and cartridge, phono amp, record cleaning machine, LP shelving, etc.
No need for an expensive CD/SACD player.
No need for an expensive network player.

For music lovers, these are the good old days!
Tom, don't have to go far to dig up an example... the Schiit Loki DSD DAC that used to sell for a laughable $150 just a few years ago, streaming a DSD file blows the doors off the Krell MD10/Krell Studio DAC from the early 90's which was over $15k for the combo if my memory serves me right. My friend still has that combo... That's the reality of things today.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:41 PM
Life is beautiful

Serge, I think you are right.

My dealer says he's surviving with Naim products, decent all-in-one solutions especially (streamer/DAC/pre/power).

When I look at my 3 daughters: the oldest 2 (26 and 23) have a shared Spotify Premium account, the youngest (18) listens to YouTube.
I even see die hard vinyl loving friends surrender to Qobuz...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-16-2017, 05:04 PM

Yep, the new generation of DAC's are amazing! If I were a high end DAC manufacturer I would be pretty nervous. The wolves are at the door.

Back to McIntosh bashing. They are getting a lot of heat for their 'lifestyle' products like the MHA 150. These actually do a lot for comparatively not much money. A full featured preamp, decent DAC, transformer coupled headphone amp and a 50 WPC power amp all in a compact package. What's not to like? I really think they did a nice job with this one. Yet they get bashed because it is not a real audiophile product. No need to tweak cables and interconnects. Maybe get a pretty blue jacketed power cord with carbon fiber ends. That's it. Buy a pair of KEF 50's and you are in the same zip code as a system costing 10x more.
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 11-16-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Yep, the new generation of DAC's are amazing! If I were a high end DAC manufacturer I would be pretty nervous. The wolves are at the door.

Back to McIntosh bashing. They are getting a lot of heat for their 'lifestyle' products like the MHA 150. These actually do a lot for comparatively not much money. A full featured preamp, decent DAC, transformer coupled headphone amp and a 50 WPC power amp all in a compact package. What's not to like? I really think they did a nice job with this one. Yet they get bashed because it is not a real audiophile product. No need to tweak cables and interconnects. Maybe get a pretty blue jacketed power cord with carbon fiber ends. That's it. Buy a pair of KEF 50's and you are in the same zip code as a system costing 10x more.
The MHA150 is still $4500 which is a large chunk of change for not only the Millennials but most of the middle class and is very much a luxury item. What the high end manufacturers should focus is on is much more affordable entry level products that offer real value and good sound quality. This is how you develop and nurture a passion for higher sound quality and a loyal customer base from those that are just starting out in the hobby.

Take Schiit for example. Products starting from $99. The Asgard 2 Class A amp is not only in the same zip code as the MHA100 it would be extremely difficult to tell the two apart even with great headphones. In fact some may prefer the sound of the $249 headphone amp from Schiit. I am confident in saying that. I'd be willing to put some money on a bet and a blind test if someone could distinguish the two 5 out 5 times in a row. For under $1000, you can get a great sounding DAC, a headphone amp and you have money left over to buy a subscription for Roon/Tidal. That's the kind of value that is within reach of many more out there.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:21 PM

Serge - all true! I was just trying to throw McIntosh a bone.
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears

Lake House:

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 11-16-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Serge - all true! I was just trying to throw McIntosh a bone.
McIntosh seems to be at least thinking about the current trends.

The MHA50 Portable is just the product that may attract the streaming generation.

The MHA50 includes wired inputs for Apple® iOS and Android OTG1 devices plus Mac® and Windows® computers.2 It can also wirelessly connect to these devices via Bluetooth® 4.1 with aptX™ technology that ensures you receive the highest possible sound quality from your Bluetooth source device. Featuring a high-performance 32-bit digital-to-analog converter (DAC), it decodes music files from almost any digital source and outputs audio that is superior to what your device alone can produce. It supports 32-bit/192kHz hi-res audio, DSD64, DSD128, DXD352.8, DXD384 files and asynchronous USB audio. Its generous 3,000 mAh rechargeable battery provides up to 6 hours of playback on a single charge when connected to a source device via Bluetooth; playback can last even longer when using the wired connections.

Two gain settings allow the MHA50 to work with all types of headphones from small in-ear models to large over-ear studio type designs like our MHP1000 Headphones​ (sold separately); it can drive headphones with impedances ranging from 8-600 ohms. Headphone Crossfeed Director (HXD®) brings added dimension to your music in a natural sounding way and can be easily turned on and off depending on your preferences. All audio is output via a gold plated 3.5mm jack that connects the MHA50 to your headphones. This jack can also connect to a pair of powered desktop speakers, allowing the MHA50 to serve as a desktop DAC.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:03 PM

Considering the MHA50 as a replacement for my Chord Mojo to work with my Shure 846 and Campfire Audio Vega.

I used to be a diehard vinyl fan. Digital music was only for on the go, but since I've bought my new DAC this year I've changed my mind. There is a difference in sound from my analog rig to my digital rig, and it depends upon my mood which one I listen to. Probably now 70/30 in favor of the digital rig.
Turntable: VPI Prime Signature Cart: Benz Micro LP-S DAC: Lampizator Golden Atlantic Preamp: Mac C500T, Mac MX121 Amps: Mac MC75 * 2 60th Anniv., Mac MC205 Speakers: Dynaudio C1 Platinum, B&W 804S, Totems Headphone amp: Glenn 300B Headphones: LCD-4
Old 01-19-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbuster View Post
# 1 rule in sales:

The customer may not always be right, but the customer is always the customer.
not when sales are going well...not even in case w/Mc
Old 01-20-2018, 08:39 PM

My resent experience with Mc tech support echo what modlin say.. The new support person they just hired, not too good. Glad that Chuck is there. He is always the most helpful.