AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 01-18-2020, 01:17 AM

Default MC8207 Amp front left low output

Hey all,

Have had my McIntosh 8207 for about two years now and is a workhorse for my home theater. Today, I noticed that the front left channel has lower output volume compared to the other channels. After troubleshooting, to include running the front right and left AV processor (MX121) XLR outputs to my home stereo in the theatre room (yes, I prewired HDMI, Coax, XLR, and CAT 6 to the analog stereo area) which afforded me the opportunity to test the AV outputs for the left right channels and any sources independent of the amp. Well, both rerouted channels from the AV processor play perfectly going through the stereo (McIntosh MC2301 tube amps) along with the 8207 pushing the center, from right, and surround speakers with no problem. So, it’s isolated to the front left output of the amp. Don’t want to use my analog rig for home theater forever, but will in the short term until I get the amp fixed. Anyone else experience dropouts on their amps such what I have described? Let me know what you had done to get it fixed if you had the same problem. This is not a source or AV processor issue, as I have ruled that out through my own troubleshooting.

I guess I need to call dealer for a pick up. I can’t move that amp as I am rehabilitation from surgery. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:50 AM

On 2 separate occasions I have had Audioquest XLR cables be the issue. These were the entry level cables. McKenzie and Red River.

One I was worried my Marantz PM10 was bad because one channel was quieter. Another my center on my MC303. It was driving me crazy because I was moving the cables at the pre amp and processsor to different outputs, but not swapping the cable. So I assumed it was the channel of amps.

Both turned out to be the connection with the XLR. I still have the bad Red River, with tape around it so I don’t use it. Returned the McKenzie. The Red River if you move the cable at the preamp connector it fixes the problem. Just a little pressure. I’m guessing if it was re-terminated, it would work fine.

I’ve never had issues with the thicker, stiffer Water on up XLRs. I don’t think the entry level cables are bad, just thinner and “more fragile”.

Last edited by RaceCarDriver; 01-18-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:25 PM

That’s exactly the cables I have too. I have some cheaper Pro audio XLR cables I can test. Thanks for the tip. Will follow up for sure. Strange that the audioquest red river would just crap out like that since the equipment is stationary and has not been moved.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:56 PM

Solved! It was the Audioquest Redriver XLR cable. Don’t know how it could have gone bad just plugged in and passing signals without the AV rack being tampered with. I guess it’s time for some XLR cable upgrades. On another note, while I plugged the McIntosh AV processor directly into my analog rig via 75 foot XLR from the AV closet, I get to use all of the streaming devices music apps on my big stereo rig, all tube preamp and tube amps pushing B&W 800s. Why didn’t t I think of that before, dang. I knew I prewired cables for something just did not know what for, now I know, haha.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:40 PM

good find and fix congrats on that glad amp was OK
Old 01-19-2020, 06:40 PM
Blown & Injected

Esoteric cables should at least offer excellent build quality and reliability ...