AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 04-15-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkcc View Post
Thanks! Just read also your open box thread and see that you are upgrading from the htm4d2 to htm2d3. When will your htm4 be arriving? Keen to hear your feed back as one of my initially preferred option was to get an (used) htm4d2/1 as i would mainly be using my 804d3 for stereo with occasional HT (70:30 split). My dealer suggested the CMC 2 S2 but I'm a bit skeptical. It would really have been great if B&W would release a htm4d3.
I haven't had a chance to pick up the HTM2 D3 yet. Will definitely update the unboxing thread soon after.

I had the CMC2 (not the S2) for a short time before the HTM4d2. When I originally bought the 804d2 I really wasn't watching movies that often so I thought I would start with the CMC2. I realized I started to watch more movies as a family as the kids got older and I wanted a seamless front soundstage. The CMC2 is a good center but the HTM4d2 had better detail and the voices seemed more natural. The CMC2 did have the advantage in bass extension. If I had to choose between the CMC2 and the HTM4 for the 804D3 it would be hard as neither really would match.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:40 PM

So for those who are curious, I in fact installed the 803 D3s with the HTM2 D3 (and 805 D3s for the surrounds) in mid-March. All in all, I would say the matching is excellent both for 5.1 music and movies. The sound of the HTM2 is in itself superb for voices (especially low voices where the unit is excellent) and the overall sound comes together very coherently with the rest of this series. When I spoke to the B&W engineers during my ordering process they strong recommended the HTM2 D3 for matching with the 803s/804s and the HTM1 D3 for matching with the 800s and 802s. In hindsite, this seems to have been very good advice. Hope this helps.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:41 PM

Finally picked up the HTM2 D3. Immediately noticed the dialog is much cleaner and easier to understand each word. (Compared to HTM4 D2) I have only spent a couple of hours listening and will update after more time

Last edited by diononiz; 04-30-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:12 PM

I agree, I love to watch live concerts, and have had the same impressions with a similar model.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 05-28-2016, 10:39 PM

I sold my htm2 d2 to help finance a new htm1 to match my 802 d3s. I look forward to the clear dialogue (although the phantom center I'm currently using ain't bad. I was initially told no htm1 in stock, so I figured on another long wait, but today I was told maybe just a week or so. Perhaps B&W is starting to catch up to demand? In any case I look forward to the match--while the htm2 d2 was a very good speaker, the new series is just a big step up in every way, and having experienced matching speakers for home theater with the d2 series, I know the differences will be appreciated.

Last edited by 2dparrish; 05-28-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dparrish View Post
I sold my htm2 d2 to help finance a new htm1 to match my 802 d3s. I look forward to the clear dialogue (although the phantom center I'm currently using ain't bad. I was initially told no htm1 in stock, so I figured on another long wait, but today I was told maybe just a week or so. Perhaps B&W is starting to catch up to demand? In any case I look forward to the match--while the htm2 d2 was a very good speaker, the new series is just a big step up in every way, and having experienced matching speakers for home theater with the d2 series, I know the differences will be appreciated.
Did you get the htm 1 yet? Curious to know the difference between your htm2d2 vs htm1d3
Old 07-02-2016, 09:43 PM

Hi, TM1, I got it about a week ago. It is an improvement over the htm2 in every way. The midrange is so much clearer and uncolored, and the tweeter has the more relaxed (but still detailed) sound of the rest of the d3 series. As for the bass, it is notably more precise/less boomy without losing any low end of the previous speaker. If anything I think the low end sounds a bit more extended. They also placed the ports a little closer (I think) to the ends of the back of the speaker. The bass driver/port configuration has seemingly made speaker placement less fussy than the htm2. I have it on the B&W stand (the new one) and I am able to place it better/closer to my av stand to make it more in line with the 802d3s without noticing any boominess. It was pretty painful to sell the htm2 for about half of what I paid for it and purchase the new one, but I have absolutely no regrets! The overall sound quality is just so much more natural now, dialogue is appreciably easier to understand, and the soundfield is now seemless with my 802 and 805 d3s.

Edit--just finished listening to a soundtrack with LOTS of bass for the center channel--HOLY COW! The htm1 has some SERIOUS bass...so tight, low, and punchy, I had to check to make sure it was coming from them and not my 802s or sub. Greatly improved over the htm2.

Last edited by 2dparrish; 07-02-2016 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:50 PM

Looks beautiful man... Bet it sounds great too
Old 07-02-2016, 09:52 PM

One more thing--I forgot to mention imaging. The new center speaker really integrates terrifically with my 802s...In addition to the drivers being the same (although no head for the midrange), I think the new front baffling design helps to really extend the soundfield to the sides to join up with the mains. I have just watched the new Point Blank, and there is a motorcycle scene which pans left to right. The transition from speaker to speaker was to my ears flawless. And FWIW, the 805d3s I now have as surrounds (got them about a month ago) have a much improved imaging that creates an uncanny soundfield with the other three speakers, extending not only sideways, but upwards as well--helicopters sound amazing!
Old 07-07-2016, 10:34 PM

Hey 2dparrish

Thanks for sharing. I currently have an htm2d1 with 4 805s which I have had for ten years. I like having a large center for a fuller sound while watching movies. I am considering on getting the 804d3 for Front L/R. I was also thinking about updating the center channel. If I go with the current htm2d3 I feel that vocals may not be as full sounding as my htm2d1 due to the smaller size. No way for me to demo them either as dealers will not carry the centers in the store. So question is do I just keep the htm2d1, take a chance with the htm2d3, or step up to htm1d3. Appreciate any recommendation.

Thanks
Tony