AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
I'm not even sure there's a theme here. Maybe I'll have one by the time I'm done.

There have been three major upheavals in the last month. First was the tornado devastation in Nashville; I am from there, and know people who were affected by it, even in my old neighbohood. Next was Dan's sudden passing, a big shock (and as I said when I heard of it, I don't shock easily). And then on a more personal note, there was March 21.

I'd headed to the local Stop & Shop to take advantage of the exclusive shopping opportunity for those 60 and over in the early AM. I never got very far while there, as I began experiencing mild nausea followed by an overwhelming dizziness which put me flat on my back, along with excessive sweating. The store manager called EMTs and next thing I knew I was off to Brooklyn Hospital's emergency room. I thought they'd check me out and turn me loose that afternoon. Nope. I never got to do any grocery shopping, laundry, or trip to the bank.

I explained that what occurred was probably a "vagal response" episode, which I'd had before back in January. The vagus nerve runs from the brain down to the abdomen and is the longest nerve in the autonomous nervous system. When it's overstimulated, the result is what happened to me in the supermarket, and before in January while at home. They continued to take blood samples, vitals, and even tested me for COVID-19(!). I was admitted to the hopsital on 3/23. They decided that I was good to be sent home on the 28th but I had another apparent vagal episode that kept me there over the weekend. So they then decide I'm good to be released this past Monday, AND the COVID-19 results came back positive (!). I am, of course, on self-quarantine and trying to recover from the weight loss, lack of energy and shift in diet (no more hospital food for me if I can help it). Plus it's time to move beyond Cheerios, eggs and such to more regular food. Things seem to taste different so far, too.

I guess my point in throwing this together is the reminder of the importance of maintaining perspective. Don't take anything/anyone for granted, and don't let anyone do that to you. Many of us struggle more than we need to because our perspective isn't big enough. As best I can I try to have God's perspective on everything. That's been a big help. Even though I'm concerned these vagal issues could be a new normal, they too need to be kept in proper perspective and my responses proportionate.
prepress, man can I relate to you. I am still reeling. First I live in Nashville and the tornadoes passed very close by to our house.

I will always remember November 13, 2017. It was the day my beloved wife almost died. I am an emergency physician. I made my living recognizing "sick" folks. I had just returned from Cleveland Tn. I could sense something was wrong on Friday but she kept on insisting she was fine. I told her on Sunday if she didn't snap out of it, we were going to the doctor on Monday. My wife is a brilliant Ophthalmologist. I had a terrible time getting her off the commode on Monday morning because she didn't want to go to the er. Finally, I said let's go to the doctors office you can have the labs drawn there. We sat in the er for 2 hours. I will never forget how she put her head on my shoulder. She walked to the bathroom and sat down to wait for it to empty. Something made me go to her side and the young man took her bp at that point. He said i can't get it. I said what did you get. He said 75. At that point I thought MY GOD!! I said she going to code! Get her on a stretcher! I raised so much ruckus I almost got arrested but it worked. But they wouldn't let me go back with her because of the disturbance I made. I couldn't even think what to do so I thought to go to the Dr.'s office and get her medical records. I got a call: potassium 8.8 creat 11. I also received an apology from the er physician. She was in the hospital 2 months. I was at her side constantly watching over her. She received excellent care. November 13 2017 is a day I will remember as long as I live.

I am so sorry about your experience and hope you get well. My wife recovered and is doing well but she will never be the same again. She has decent renal function but the illness really changed her. Life is a journey and sometimes an unpleasant one.

Best

Charles
Old 08-30-2020, 06:16 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
prepress, man can I relate to you. I am still reeling. First I live in Nashville and the tornadoes passed very close by to our house.

I will always remember November 13, 2017. It was the day my beloved wife almost died. I am an emergency physician. I made my living recognizing "sick" folks. I had just returned from Cleveland Tn. I could sense something was wrong on Friday but she kept on insisting she was fine. I told her on Sunday if she didn't snap out of it, we were going to the doctor on Monday. My wife is a brilliant Ophthalmologist. I had a terrible time getting her off the commode on Monday morning because she didn't want to go to the er. Finally, I said let's go to the doctors office you can have the labs drawn there. We sat in the er for 2 hours. I will never forget how she put her head on my shoulder. She walked to the bathroom and sat down to wait for it to empty. Something made me go to her side and the young man took her bp at that point. He said i can't get it. I said what did you get. He said 75. At that point I thought MY GOD!! I said she going to code! Get her on a stretcher! I raised so much ruckus I almost got arrested but it worked. But they wouldn't let me go back with her because of the disturbance I made. I couldn't even think what to do so I thought to go to the Dr.'s office and get her medical records. I got a call: potassium 8.8 creat 11. I also received an apology from the er physician. She was in the hospital 2 months. I was at her side constantly watching over her. She received excellent care. November 13 2017 is a day I will remember as long as I live.

I am so sorry about your experience and hope you get well. My wife recovered and is doing well but she will never be the same again. She has decent renal function but the illness really changed her. Life is a journey and sometimes an unpleasant one.

Best

Charles
As difficult as such episodes can be, they can also be opportunities for growth, if we respond properly. That's a heavy experience you two had, and part of your process will be how SHE handles it, as that could influence how you handle it. I'm glad she's doing well, which is an encouragement.

Blood work done in the hospital (they certainly took enough) revealed a low potassium count, almost dangerously so, the neurologist said. I have an appointment tomorrow for new blood work, as it's time for that anyway. I've been a bit more tired recently, and I want to see if it's more than just poor sleep. And at some point, I'd like to get back to listening to my system; it's just sat there for a month doing nothing but collect dust (literally; it's an old building).
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 09-06-2020, 06:10 AM
Semi-audiophile

Yesterday marks the first time since March 16 that I was in a gym! Outer chest is a bit sore; maybe something else will be later today or tomorrow. I held back on purpose (I think I held back anyway). It's New York Sports, Boerum Hill branch. My previous branch was shut down permanently a couple of months or so ago.

Now, I want to try getting there 3 times a week, and walk 1 or 2 times a week. I was a member of the Boerum Hill spot in the mid-90s, but it doesn’t look anything like it did then. It has more weights and weight training equipment than before. The tennis court upstairs is replaced with cardio equipment, apparently (I didn’t go up there), and I don’t see the squash court on the first floor I remember.

This location is about an hour’s walk round-trip. We’ll see how it goes. I consider this part of the recovery process. The final leg, perhaps.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 09-06-2020, 09:18 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 10-10-2020, 05:59 AM
Semi-audiophile

Ok, the Boerum Hill New York Sports closed, too. I've now joined a Blink Fitness, across the street. I took a basic membership, $15/mo, which limits me to this branch only. I considered Crunch Fitness, there's one only 3 blocks from home (which would be ideal in bad weather), but I couldn't stomach the $87/mo fee. At least the Blink membership comes with no contract, so if I decide later I can stomach the higher cost or a need for convenience outweighs my wallet, I can move on over to Crunch.

I must have a gym; I fell apart while I was cooped up in my apartment and walking alone wasn't doing it for me. Besides, I need to counteract the effects of a burgeoning pot belly! There's no such thing as dietary discipline around here anymore!
Old 10-10-2020, 09:46 AM

Glad to see you're on the mend.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 10-12-2020, 05:14 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
Glad to see you're on the mend.
Thanks. Now, if I would just control my appetite . . .
Old 01-09-2021, 07:23 AM
Semi-audiophile

I found out yesterday that NY State has designated all MTA (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) employees as essential workers; that includes me, though I'm not a frontline worker. It means I'll be in line at some point for the COVID vaccine. Thinking about whether or not I'll get it when it's available.

Meantime, since the MTA keeps suggesting we should get tested regularly, I get tested every three months, the last one was 2 weeks ago (negative). Guess I'll keep that up until the situation is resolved.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:38 AM

Don't worry I got it two days ago and I'm fine. I should get the booster in a few weeks. A few weeks after that I might.... ditch the face shield and just leave the mask on. Sharing a gym with people? No way on earth until it's gone.
Old 03-20-2021, 02:33 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio times View Post
Don't worry I got it two days ago and I'm fine. I should get the booster in a few weeks. A few weeks after that I might.... ditch the face shield and just leave the mask on. Sharing a gym with people? No way on earth until it's gone.
The shield protects your eyes, at least. But the mask is probably more important. Wearing a mask in the gym is a pain, but I do it. I got some of those face guards you put under the mask to give more breathing room; big help. I've been eating wrong and have the love handles to show it, so I need exercise. What I really need is dietary discipline, which I have trouble finding.

As for the vaccine, I was scheduled to get my first shot last weekend, but cancelled because of an ongoing GI issue. I think that should be cleared up before I take anything like a vaccine. Saw a doctor who suggested I see my gastroenterologist, since the symptoms I described could be an intestinal parasite. My GI appointment is for the 29th.

Today is the first day of spring, I understand. It's also the anniversary of my first COVID symptom, a deep fatigue which I became aware of as I was walking home from the subway. I thought I might be coming down with a cold or something and planned to just lay low for the weekend. I was surprised, to say the least, at how it turned out. Tomorrow is the anniversary of going into the hospital. Wild to think about that now.
Closed Thread