AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 06-29-2016, 06:55 PM

Default Shunyata Alpha

I currently have an Ayre KX-R Twenty connected with a Venom 3 and am thinking of not only picking up a pair of MX-R Twenty amps but in cabling them appropriately.

Without spending a fortune, it sounds like the route I should take is Alpha Analog for the KX-R Twenty and a pair of Alpha Analog HCs for the MX-R Twenties, correct? Or should I just spend a bit extra and get HCs all around, even though the preamp doesn't need the capacity?

I know a few of you are running pretty close to this combination, so I'd be curious to know what you heard.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:48 PM

Hi Bill, For what its worth; there's on question the Alpha HC is worth the extra $250. Even on line components and DAC's, the added gauge and dual-frequency noise filtering of the HC's bring better results.

On another forum there was a gentleman with a DAC who owned a Python CX (8 gauge cord) and compared it to the Alpha Analog. While he appreciated the added noise reduction of the Alpha Analog, he felt he gave up some dynamics/low-octave weight and did not want to make the switch.

The HC has the gauge of the Python CX (a great cord in it's own right), and adds exceptional, measurable noise reduction. I'll let end users chime in, but feedback on the HC is extremely favorable for pre-amps and DAC's as well as amps. The Alpha Digital would be my recommendation on all pure-digital front end devices, but for analog-output electronics (like DAC's and pre-amps), the HC delivers more than the price difference in improvement.

I'm not one to encourage spending more when you can get great results with less outlay, but this is an instance where accumulated feedback matches our own test results across the board.

Best regards,
Grant
Old 06-30-2016, 10:57 AM

Bill,
I don't want to hijack your post but I'm interested in your impressions on the KX-R Twenty. I considering this pre and a couple others. What else did you look at? What made you decide on the Ayre? Back on topic, have you considered the Sigma line with your level of equipment? I'm using Alpha Analog now but need to step up to the HC or Sigma.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:07 AM

Last question first, since I may be picking up a pair of MX-R Twenty amps, I don't have the budget for Sigma cables; the Alpha should work quite well considering I currently use a Venom for the KX-R Twenty.

Second, I listened to the Pass XP-20 and the ARC Ref 5 SE and neither really did anything for me. One of my "tests" is that my Wadia CD player/DAC has the ability to directly drive an amp as it has a digital volume control. By connecting the CD player directly to the amp, then connecting it to the pre, I can get a pretty good idea of what the pre is doing to the sound. With both the Pass and the ARC, I preferred the sound of the direct connection to the sound going through the pre.

With the KX-R, it actually sounded better going through the preamp. That's not supposed to be the case - straight wire with gain and all that - but I had better sound staging and bass when the signal ran through the pre than when connected directly to the amp, so I bought the KX-R.

About a year later, Ayre came out with the Twenty upgrade, and I made the mistake of listening to one. Simply put, the difference between the KX-R and KX-R Twenty was not subtle, it was day and night. Both sounded wonderful, but the KX-R apparently added a bit of harshness to the high end, which I noticed because the Twenty got rid of it completely, as well as adding more width and depth to the image.

In short, had I heard a better preamp, I would have considered it; never did, or have.

Last edited by BillK; 06-30-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:06 PM

Bill,
Great feedback, it reflects a lot of what I've heard and read about the KX-R Twenty. I think my system would benefit more from a pre right now than the Sigma cords but they are on the list for future upgrade. Thanks again for the comments and fyi there is a pair of MX-R twenties on the Gon that were dealer demos and I believe with full warranty for 20k.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:25 PM

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Thanks for the heads up; last time I checked just the black pair was listed on gon; the silver pair are a relatively new addition.

Last edited by BillK; 06-30-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:26 AM

Grant's feedback is very spot on. I've used his guidance to upgrade some of my Shunyata power cables in the past with wonderful results. The Alphas are terrific! And, the Sigmas are fabulous but for a bit more money.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
The Alphas are terrific! And, the Sigmas are fabulous but for a bit more money.
I'm sure the Sigmas are amazing, but "a bit more" is more like 2.5x the price.