AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 01-16-2016, 06:51 PM

Default Best configuration for Triton v2 power distribution?

Hi guys,

I'm totally new who it comes to clean power - but I understand the importance of it, so I'm looking into getting a Triton v2.

-> My questions is the following, is there any problem with connecting my source components AND amps to the same Triton? Or should those be separated as well.

I do not (yet) have a dedicated circuit for my installation and was hoping the Triton would eliminate noise leaking back onto the circuit from other appliances/components.

My setup is as follows:

Amplifiers : McIntosh C1100, 2x McIintosh MC2301, Ear 834P phono stage
Sources : ClearAudio Innovation Compact turntable, McIntosh MCD1100 CD-Player, Aurender N10 streamer.

I'd really appreciate some advice from you experts here!

Many Thanks,
Luk
Old 01-16-2016, 10:43 PM

Hi Luk:
All of your components can be plugged into the Triton v2 as it is not current limiting. The only reason I plug my amp directly into the wall outlet is that it is generally the component best suited to filter out noise through its power supply and my source components and preamp inhabit all of the outlets on my Triton v2. My set up is very popular among Shunyata fans--all source components and preamp into triton and amp directly into wall. Another very popular approach is the same as above except amp into Cyclops or Amp 1 then into wall. Finally, you can plug all of your components into the Triton v2 if you have the room. Note that even Caelin Gabriel emphasizes that you should start with one or more dedicated lines for your audio system if your circumstances permit.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 01-17-2016, 02:46 AM

Hello JP,
Thanks for your answer, not sure i quite understand why you plug your amp straight into the wall, the triton filters out noise as well so? I have been reading about this and you are right about a dedicated circuit, i think it's possible here, one my walls is gyproc so they should be able to pull a new line or two there. I saw there are special sockets you can use as well, do you guys know which brands are the best for that? furutech i saw mentioned?
Old 01-17-2016, 03:15 AM

Many power conditioners restrict current, and this negatively affects amps. Unfortunately, because of this some people think all power conditioners have this fault. However, Shunyata power conditioners do not restrict current, and amps sound better plugged into Shunyata conditioners. Both of my amps each have their own Cyclops (basically, a two port Triton), and they work and sound much better with the Cyclops, versus plugged directly into the wall.

--------------------------------------------
Bud

Lumin S1
Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
Magico S5 speakers

Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon for source, Cyclops v2 (2) for amps
Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
Revelation Audio Passage Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:37 AM

Hi Ischoonaert:
I only plug my amp directly into the wall because all of the outlets on my Triton v2 are occupied and I have not yet felt the need to purchase a Cyclops especially since I have a Sigma HC on my amp (as well as my Triton v2). I may experiment with it someday.
Wilson Alexia V, ARC Ref 160M MkII,Ref 40,Ref Phono2SE, Shunyata Triton3, Typhon, Sigma PCs, ICs & SCs, Spectral SDR4000SV (w MIT IC), Belcanto PL1, Oppo 205, Marantz 2270 (tuner only):AudioDesk and VPI record cleaners, Furutech Demag & Destat; Stillpoint Apertures, TechDas AF 3S Premium with SAT CF9 and Kuzma 4pt 9" arms, Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Dynavector XV1-t stereo and XV1-s mono carts, Miyajima mono, Shure V15VxMR,
Old 01-17-2016, 12:04 PM

I've found with my amps (both the Ayre MXR's and my current Nagra Classic) prefer straight to the wall. I do hear lower noise, better resolution via the Triton v2, however dynamics are a bit softened. It may not be the Triton causing this per se...could just be the extra connections...

Your mileage will certainly vary here. Both of of my amps have some built in conditioning...so other amps my react differently...

Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
Preamp: Robert Koda K10
Amp: Nagra Classic Amp w/ Transparent Opus Power Cord
Cables: Transparent Opus Gen 5 & Magnum Opus phono
Power Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon/DPC-6 v2, Anaconda Zitron cords (x4), Sigma HC & Analog (x4)
Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Jan Allaerts MC2 Finish, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x3)
Old 01-17-2016, 02:57 PM

Amps direct into wall outlet for me, dedicated lines for each amp of course. I do have a Typhon on each amp.....

As others have said, dedicated lines should be your first addition before anything else....
Old 01-17-2016, 10:50 PM

Having just bought a complete Shunyata stack (Typhon, Triton V2, DPC-6 V2) and assorted Sigma and Alpha power cords, I've read just about every, no, not "just about every", I've read all of the posts both here and WBF as well as the most of the other places Bluefox posts ;-) and the rule of thumb from Shunyata seems to be this -

Unless you have a dedicated line for the amp(s), plug everything into the Triton V2.

Once you get the dedicated lines, plug the amps into the wall and you can add a Cyclops (only available used now), the upcoming Denali or (lunatic fringe mode ) Typhons down the line for your amps. If you get a Typhon, it should be plugged into the open outlet that your amp is plugged in to.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:43 PM

Thank you all for the advice, i'll start with pulling 3 or 4 dedicated lines, and in the meantime test a triton.
Kind regards,
Luk

Last edited by lschoonaert; 01-18-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:29 PM

And maybe one other question, after getting a dedicated line,, furutech outlets with an audiophile level fuse (kemp or klang module iii), what would be the best powercord to connect the triton to the outlet?

Many thanks for your opinions, experiences etc...