AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 12-24-2013, 12:09 PM

S1chen,
If you look back I mention quite a few times the example V2 and V3
The V2 was a true 2.5 way, the V3 a true 3way (using dual woofer like the S3), this ties into the 3-4 posts where discussing this with Wayne.

Now as I mentioned the new designs are more room/placement friendly but still with the S3 being a dual woofer 3-way I stand by my view it is closer to the S5 than it will ever be to a 2.5way (the model currently missing and the older model was the V2).
The S1 unfortunately does not have the benefits of a 2.5way, and that is the model now missing - the original V2 redesigned to S model range.

I would had preferred to buy a modern equivalent to the V2 (worked well in my room but not to my preferences) rather than the S1.
My experience was the V3 did not work to its best in my room; but as I touch upon the newer designs are more friendly in boundary/placement although I think the S3 will have stronger LF bass than the V3 (just my thoughts and I agree is only an assumption).
That said the V2 equivalent is missing, and a dedicated mid and bass would technically be an improvement over the S1.

The Q1 is in reality a replacement for the Mini II IMO.
Still I appreciate we all may have a different take on what the current model line-up should be and there is probably no definitive answer to this without engaging Alon Wolf.
Anyway S1chen do not mind me, I am just sulking and imagining how good a V2 replacement would be

Cheers
Orb

Last edited by Orb; 12-24-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:29 AM

Big room needs big amps.
As for integrated amps I would surely look into the Luxman and Accuphase Class A camp.
Following last post, it will be interesting to see if Mr. Wolf comes up with S2 model.
If not V2 might become collectors item...

Last edited by 4RE; 04-26-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:51 AM

I audited my Magico S1 now with many of my amps (Accuphase, Audio Research, Spectral Audio, Devialet, Naim, Luxman) and I have to say that the best match for the Magico S1 is my Accuphase A60/C2420 Combo.
This is a match made in heaven. This combination has very high transparency, resolution and also a little bit of "warmth" which I like. We could listen to all kinds of music for hours without fatigue.
The Spectral Audio amp had also absolut great tranparency and resolution and it was a great match for classical match.

Best regards

Martin
Old 01-08-2014, 05:23 AM

Congrats on your lucky match, there are much more Magico owners who report on superb match with Accuphase.. If one audiophile reports it would be nice to know, if ten audiophiles report on this match as beeing succesfull then we have important information!

Thank you again for reporting on your 'match made in heaven' this sentence is a bit over used likely, but your words show us experience.

I'm heading for upgrade in the digital department, either DP620 or Lux D08.
SACD fanboy alert 'ON'
Old 01-09-2014, 03:46 AM

Hello Martin and 4RE,

I am new here and just posting my first message.

I am leaving in Tokyo now and based on few auditionings of the S1 I am convinced to go for it. My only "concern" is the best match amplification for the S1. In that sense, it was really nice reading your comments that Accuphase amps had great synergy with those speakers.

My current amp is the E-560 and was considering to move forward to separates or get a recent launched E-600.
A A-65 + C-2820 (or C-2420) combo would certainly be outstanding but if the E-600 offers enough driving power and refinement, why not pick the less costy alternative. If you have opinions on that regard it'll be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Marcos
Old 01-09-2014, 04:41 AM

I'd suspect the E-600 to be a great match with S1. Other than that, Simaudio Moon, Vitus and Aesthetix has great synergy with Magico in general.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 01-09-2014, 04:58 AM

Thanks Hyperion for your comments on that.

I'm afraid those amps you mentioned (Simaudio Moon, Vitus and Aesthetix ) have no representation in Japan. Maybe Aesthetix but not the other two.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:03 AM

I see. Well, you should be more than satisfied with Accuphase. Magico do benefit from some added warmth and smoothness to balance up the presentation, which I believe Accuphase provides. Jeff Rowland partnered with the right cabling (Shunyata, Transparent) might be an option as well. Have a look at the new Continuum S2 integrated amplifier:

Jeff Rowland Design Group Continuum S2 Integrated Amplifier - The Audio Beat - www.TheAudioBeat.com

All the best.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:15 AM

Thanks once again Hyperion for the comments and suggestion. One clear advantage I have is to have access to the local market price of Accuphase gear. Jeff will certainly be overpriced in comparison. I was curious about the Hegel amplification that enjoys a good reputation in Japan. It would be nice to know the impressions from a genuine scandinavian audio dealer.

Regards

Last edited by Marcossy; 01-09-2014 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:33 AM

You're welcome.

I'm sure you're right regarding the pricing and value of local vs. foreign brands.

Hegel has great reputation within the mid- to high-end segment in Scandinavia. That said, I believe Accuphase has more to offer performance-wise, but especially if you consider and value build quality and finish.