AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 08-03-2015, 11:56 AM

Still love mine and owned mine since they were released (one of the 1st orders here in UK).
I do want to listen to the Sabrina, would be nice to have the scale-presence that Wilson Audio creates but need to see what it loses out on to the S1.
I find the S1 resolved with great clarity,smooth, and fatigue free with superb integration of bass-mid-highs.
It pulled me away from Sonus Faber, and the older Wilson Audio Duette was not in the same league (but Sabrina was not available back then for comparison).
I do think though not everyone will be use to the sealed bass as it does give a different presentation, but still excellent if you listen to bass guitars,etc.

Cheers
Orb
Old 08-03-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
Still love mine and owned mine since they were released (one of the 1st orders here in UK). I do want to listen to the Sabrina, would be nice to have the scale-presence that Wilson Audio creates but need to see what it loses out on to the S1. I find the S1 resolved with great clarity,smooth, and fatigue free with superb integration of bass-mid-highs. It pulled me away from Sonus Faber, and the older Wilson Audio Duette was not in the same league (but Sabrina was not available back then for comparison). I do think though not everyone will be use to the sealed bass as it does give a different presentation, but still excellent if you listen to bass guitars,etc. Cheers Orb
If i may ask, what size room do you have the S1s in and what type of music do you generally play on them? I am always curious to see which speakers people select for their rooms.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:40 PM

It is a sub optimal room in a few ways (good in others) so pointless going for too large a speaker; unfortunately the position is rather asymmetric with the room being 7mx8m, well furnished and carpeted-good floating floor and acoustic panels in some key positions.
Music is very diverse from grunge-rock-pop to classical arias-concertos-symphonies-ballets/opera, and also film original sound tracks.
I find the Magico excellent for all, although some may find the bass not loose enough, but it does have tonality.
That said I would had preferred if Alon had created the speaker as a 2.5 like the old V2, I just feel missed a trick there.

Cheers
Orb

Last edited by Orb; 08-04-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:52 AM

Question

Hi guys, my dealer recently gave me a very very good deal on the wilson Sophia3..

Now i know its not a fair comparison as the sophias are a higher ranged model compared to the Magico S1.

Footprint wise the Wilsons are alot bigger than the S1 and obviously will not go down well with the wife especially if i were to put it in the bedroom.

I have the option of shifting the whole system to my living room but would prefer to keep it in my 25-30sqm bedroom.

Any thoughts??

Thanks
Old 08-04-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapple88 View Post

Hi guys, my dealer recently gave me a very very good deal on the wilson Sophia3..

Now i know its not a fair comparison as the sophias are a higher ranged model compared to the Magico S1.

Footprint wise the Wilsons are alot bigger than the S1 and obviously will not go down well with the wife especially if i were to put it in the bedroom.

I have the option of shifting the whole system to my living room but would prefer to keep it in my 25-30sqm bedroom.

Any thoughts??

Thanks
Not a problem if you are after quality, not quantity
Old 08-04-2015, 10:36 PM

I would go for the Sophia 3 in a bigger room. The S1 might be on the lean side there.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:07 AM

Does the Sophia 3 have the older tweeter when compared to the newer Alexandria/Alexia/Sabrina/etc models?
If so do a very careful audition as not all may necessarily love the highs and mid-to-high integration.
It is a great speaker just the new tweeter is meant to be an improvement, and the older design compared to the Magico is where you will also notice a big difference (along with the bass).

Cheers
Orb

Last edited by Orb; 08-05-2015 at 04:09 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqman View Post
To S1 owners: Do you still own and enjoy them? If not, why not? On paper, the S1 seems like a perfect fit for me and I'm thinking of trying to find a dealer for a home audition. I would like to hear any long-term impressions. Thanks! AQ
I traded them in with the bigger S3. I got a very good deal with my dealer and found no reason to say no thanks. The S1 is very good but with only a 7 inch to feed the bottom octaves the S3 fit my room much better. My living room is around 30-35 sqm.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:44 PM

Between sophia3 and S3...

Which will you choose? My head is bursting with configurations after the good price option.

I do want something that I can hold onto for a long period of time (relatively)

Truth is the footprints of the magicos is perfect for me. While with wilsons I likely need to do some adjustments. ..(carpentry work etc or shift out to the bigger living area at the ground floor. .?)
Old 08-06-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapple88 View Post
Between sophia3 and S3...

Which will you choose? My head is bursting with configurations after the good price option.

I do want something that I can hold onto for a long period of time (relatively)

Truth is the footprints of the magicos is perfect for me. While with wilsons I likely need to do some adjustments. ..(carpentry work etc or shift out to the bigger living area at the ground floor. .?)
Definitely S3 for me. I would even choose the S3 over the Sasha II. The S3 has a gorgeous mid-range and articulate bass. It is an excellent speaker for mid-sized rooms.