AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > VPI Industries

VPI Industries Turntables Made in USA

Old 03-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Born-again audiophile

Default VPI Classic 3 - speed problem

I have a new Classic 3 and I can't seem to get the RPM higher than 33.1. The belt is all the way down on the skinny part of the motor spindle. I'm using the Analogue Productions test LP and the PlatterSpeed app on my iPhone to test speed.

Is this just a matter of break in time or do I have a bigger problem?

Thanks,

John
C2700, Bryston SP3, MC2301's, MC205, Sonus Faber Amati Futura's mains, SF center, Klipsch Sur/Back, JL F113, VPI Classic III, MR87, Pioneer Kuro plasma monitor, Oppo BDP-105, Sonos Port with W4S mod, Bryston BIT20.[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Old 03-15-2014, 12:44 PM

Your TT should have come with an extra belt. Did you try the other belt as well? Probably not the issue but it will help you to begin weeding out possibilities.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:46 PM
Born-again audiophile

Thanks, but no extra belt in the box that I found.
C2700, Bryston SP3, MC2301's, MC205, Sonus Faber Amati Futura's mains, SF center, Klipsch Sur/Back, JL F113, VPI Classic III, MR87, Pioneer Kuro plasma monitor, Oppo BDP-105, Sonos Port with W4S mod, Bryston BIT20.[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Old 03-15-2014, 01:32 PM
Chief Toneologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_spyder View Post
I have a new Classic 3 and I can't seem to get the RPM higher than 33.1. The belt is all the way down on the skinny part of the motor spindle. I'm using the Analogue Productions test LP and the PlatterSpeed app on my iPhone to test speed.

Is this just a matter of break in time or do I have a bigger problem?

Thanks,

John
John,

Assuming the test LP and app you are using are accurate, the 0.2 variation in speed (~0.6%) is about 6 times higher than the specs (see below).

1% = .33 so 0.1% would be +/- .033

SPECS & PRICING
Wow and flutter: Less than 0.02%
Rumble: Greater than 80dB down
Speed accuracy: Within .1%
Dimensions: 20.5" x 15.5" x 10"
Weight: 65 lbs.
Price: $6000

I'd give it some more break-in time then contact VPI. I am sure they'll do right by you. And, yes, a minute difference in belt thickness will make a difference.

Alberto
Old 03-15-2014, 02:51 PM

Just to confirm you have tried all 3 grooves on the lower part of the motor spindle gear? One is a little faster and one is a little slower to allow calibration.

Last edited by junker; 03-15-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:53 PM

Is there any way to tighten the motor spindle/pulley? I had a Scoutmaster back in the day and was having the same issue, I was able to tighten up the spindle and all was well.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
SOURCES: Analog 1 - Well Tempered Amadeus + EMT TSD15 + Lehmann Audio Decade Phonostage. Analog 2 - Thorens TD124 + Origin Live Zephyr Tonearm + Dynavector Karat 17D3 + Dynavector P75 MKll Phonestage Digital - Ayre QX-5 Twenty Amps - Nagra CLassic Amp (2) + Nagra Jazz Pre SPEAKERS - TAD CE1
Cables - Wireworld.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:10 PM
Born-again audiophile

Well this is interesting. I've been letting the platter spin for a couple hours and just tested again, this time with better results.

The app tells me I'm pretty much right on target for 33.3 rpm now on the lower slot of the spindle. I measured all four slots and each one is progressively slower (slowest at top). It also tells me the frequency (speed) is staying within +/- .02%. So this is all good.

I should also say I got what I thought was a silly app called iRPM. You start it, put your iPhone on the platter and let it spin. Big numbers on the screen tell you the RPM - that is if you don't get dizzy trying to read it. It looks surprisingly accurate showing 33.3 RPM when it should. Cool.

When you're done with that put it in a kid's pocket and see how fast he/she can spin. It's a riot!

John
Old 03-15-2014, 07:20 PM

John, I would be terrified to place anything on my platter in case it went flying off and damaged anything. My Classic 3 only came with one belt also. I use a SDS so my speed is easy to set with a strobe disk or digital tach. The SDS allows changing between 33 1/3 and 45 without moving the belt. Hope your speed problem works out.

Harbeth 40.3 XD, Sound Anchor stands w/ Stillpoints, Luxman M900 & C900, Aurender N20, Jay's Audio CDT3 - MK3 CD player, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Shunyata Everest, Altaira
Old 03-16-2014, 04:10 PM

What keeps your phone from flying off the platter?

- Gregory
Old 03-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Born-again audiophile

The cover on my phone is sort of grippy so it doesn't slide easily on anything. I never gave it a second thought.

Duct tape?

John