AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > ModWright Instruments

ModWright Instruments Elegance. Simplicity. Truth.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:59 AM

I hope this mod goes well for you all & look forward to reading about the perceived improvements.

While the ModWright mods are of particular interest to me, I have some reservations in relation to the tacking of a 2Ch tube output stage at the end for a little sound colorisation. In addition to tethering an umbilical to an external analogue power stage to power the thing...

In relation to the ModWright 2CH tube mod, I gather the output stage is associated with L/R (XLR or RCA). The Oppo now allows for the L/R to be assigned to MC instead of using FL/FR. This means that both DACs are utilised for MC equating to even superior D/A. So, how does the 2CH tube mod fit in with the new capability which was introduced with the recent firmware update? Does this mean that there will also be additional benefits derived from the tube output stage for MC analogue material in addition to 2CH?

I have been informed by another company that performs mods to BDP-95s here in Australia that the main considerations for improvement are:
  1. Both the analogue & switching power stages. Replacement of the switching power stage in particular for better performance & reliability.
  2. Replacement of Caps & Resistors with military grade equivalents.
  3. Replacement & reduction of op-amp stages.
  4. Chassis & transport dampening.

I have also been informed that any Australian BDP-95 with this particular Australian company's mod sticker on it will not be void of warranty!

Lastly, they also claim that the Australian modified Oppo BDP-95 will give a MCD1100 a good run for its money.

I will be in a position to perform side-by-side 2CH comparisons with an Oz modified BDP-95 against a MCD1100 in the coming months & will post my perspective.

Last edited by MyPal; 10-04-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Both the analogue & switching power stages. Replacement of the switching power stage in particular for better performance & reliability.
Replacement of Caps & Resistors with military grade equivalents.
Replacement & reduction of op-amp stages.
Chassis & transport dampening.
It is my understanding that the above is also done with the SS Modwright mod. The op-amps used with the MCH-outputs are completely removed.

You are correct, if your primary concern is the multi channel output. If someone is all about MCH movies then I agree that the MCH mod is the way to go because of the reason you stated utilizing the two DAC’s. I would not want to run my tube output in surround for the fact that the two front channels will sound different than the rest. If you want the player to have the best 2-ch output, the tube mod is the way to go. If someone wants to say that the tubes just add some color, I would place this person in what I will call the SS person category. A tube person will speak much different. I won’t beat a dead horse with the tube vs. SS argument but I can tell you that I have used some expensive amplifiers with my Klipsch horns and my tube amp sounds better. I am sure the speakers have something to do with this but regardless, in my set-up and IMO, my Bob Latino ST-120 tube amp sounds better than many amps I tried costing 2-4 times. My Jolida JD 100a tube output cd player sounds much more musical to me than my stock BDP-95. My Luxman D-105u tubed CD player sounds better (not as good as my Jolida) than my stock BDP-95. Maybe it is my speakers. Maybe I just prefer the sound of tubes better. I have high hopes that after my OPPO mod is complete, it will sound better than my Jolida. I will keep everyone posted.

Last edited by RoyMercer; 10-04-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:53 AM
The Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMercer View Post
Thanks for the info! Have you received your BDP-95 back from the mod yet?
I'm expecting an update on the progress of the digital input mod from Dan after RMAF. It's possible that those who aren't waiting for that could have their units back from ModWright before I do.

"The Waiting Is The Hardest Part"...to quote Tom Petty - but I know it will be worth it!
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables
Old 10-04-2011, 11:11 AM
The Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
I hope this mod goes well for you all & look forward to reading about the perceived improvements.

While the ModWright mods are of particular interest to me, I have some reservations in relation to the tacking of a 2Ch tube output stage at the end for a little sound colorisation. In addition to tethering an umbilical to an external analogue power stage to power the thing...

In relation to the ModWright 2CH tube mod, I gather the output stage is associated with L/R (XLR or RCA). The Oppo now allows for the L/R to be assigned to MC instead of using FL/FR. This means that both DACs are utilised for MC equating to even superior D/A. So, how does the 2CH tube mod fit in with the new capability which was introduced with the recent firmware update? Does this mean that there will also be additional benefits derived from the tube output stage for MC analogue material in addition to 2CH?

I have been informed by another company that performs mods to BDP-95s here in Australia that the main considerations for improvement are:
  1. Both the analogue & switching power stages. Replacement of the switching power stage in particular for better performance & reliability.
  2. Replacement of Caps & Resistors with military grade equivalents.
  3. Replacement & reduction of op-amp stages.
  4. Chassis & transport dampening.

I have also been informed that any Australian BDP-95 with this particular Australian company's mod sticker on it will not be void of warranty!

Lastly, they also claim that the Australian modified Oppo BDP-95 will give a MCD1100 a good run for its money.

I will be in a position to perform side-by-side 2CH comparisons with an Oz modified BDP-95 against a MCD1100 in the coming months & will post my perspective.
MyPal,

It sounds like the Australian mod might be a subset of the ModWright solid state mods that can be done on both 2-channel and multi-channel outputs of the BDP-95. It could be a good way to go for you since the mod would be performed "in country" and if it continues to carry the manufacturers warranty for the Austalian version of the player that is a plus as well.

If you are interested in pursuing the tube mods from ModWright I would suggest you give Dan a call and have him answer your questions and address your concerns. Dan has been perfecting the tubs mods with the dedicated outboard power supply and umbilical for several years across multiple platforms and I do not have any reservations about the quality, durability, or performance of that setup. I also don't think the tube mod is there "at the end for a little sound colorisation" as you describe at all - it is meant to add the benefits of tubes (smoothness, richness, and musicality) while maintaining if not improving detail and accuracy.

The recent firmware update that allows reassignment of the LF/LR outputs to the dedicated balanced and unbalanced 2-ch outputs raises some interesting possibilities for the analog multi-channel output of the player. I would expect the tube outputs on the ModWright player to add to the sound quality in that configuration. I will have to evaluate how I want to utilize that feature when I receive my unit back.

Good luck with whatever decision you go with and please report back on your findings and impressions
Old 10-04-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJinID View Post
MyPal,
I would expect the tube outputs on the ModWright player to add to the sound quality in that configuration. I will have to evaluate how I want to utilize that feature when I receive my unit back.

Good luck with whatever decision you go with and please report back on your findings and impressions
Thanks Dan. Shall look forward to your perspective but do have the same concerns as Roy below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMercer View Post
I would not want to run my tube output in surround for the fact that the two front channels will sound different than the rest.
I would have to agree with you here Roy. I would be primarily using the BDP-95 for MC because I have a dedicated 2CH transport.

Please don't get me wrong, I am all for tube with the right implementation. I have MC2301s & C1000C/T on the way!

I'm guessing that you may be able to do some comparison by running some 2CH material followed by some MC material down-mixed .i.e. listening via L/R & then FL/FR.

Last edited by MyPal; 10-04-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:02 PM
The Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Thanks Dan. Shall look forward to your perspective but do have the same concerns as Roy below.

I would have to agree with you here Roy. I would be primarily using the BDP-95 for MC because I have a dedicated 2CH transport.

Please don't get me wrong, I am all for tube with the right implementation. I have MC2301s & C1000C/T on the way!

I'm guessing that you may be able to do some comparison by running some 2CH material followed by some MC material down-mixed .i.e. listening via L/R & then FL/FR.
My bigger concern from running the 2-ch tube output for movies/surround would be the extra time on the tubes when it's not really needed. My guess is that it will sound better in that configuration vs. different. We will find out soon!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
We will find out soon!
Jeff...do you have an ETA?
Old 10-04-2011, 10:52 PM
The Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Jeff...do you have an ETA?
Cyril - Dan will be back in touch with me after RMAF. My best estimate is late this month to early November for the digital input mod to be done.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Cyril - Dan will be back in touch with me after RMAF. My best estimate is late this month to early November for the digital input mod to be done.
Do you know how they propose to manage the input source? I suppose it would have to be a mechanical switch of sorts as they have no control over the firmware.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:57 PM

"My guess is that it will sound better in that configuration vs. different."

I wonder if a different amp / pre-amp will effect surround sound just as not timber matching your speakers will?

"My bigger concern from running the 2-ch tube output for movies/surround would be the extra time on the tubes when it's not really needed."

I would not be as concerned with this as I would using my main amp. The pre-amp tubes will last a lot longer. I have played my Luxman CD player thousands of hours since the middle 1990s. The last time I changed the tubes was in 1995 and they still sound fairly good. However it does have a pre-heater that will extend the tube life and like you said, not really needed. I can't see tubes making a movie sound track sound enough better to warrant the tube wear. Especially if we are using expensive NOS tubes.
Maybe MCH SACD and / or DVD-A...

I went with the tube mod and all out SS mod. Still teetering if I am going to spend the extra cost for the Bybee rails.

You guys are absolutely correct on one thing, we will soon find out. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas! It will be interesting to hear others feedback using different amps , speakers, etc.

Last edited by RoyMercer; 10-05-2011 at 10:50 AM.