AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Linn

Linn Clean & Precise Music

Old 04-17-2017, 11:19 AM

Default Linn Majik ds

Well - I am a vinyl junkie/lover and thinking to sell my CDs/Digital source and move on to streaming for digital. Thus the thought to move on to the Linn Majik ds. Anyone have experience with this server/streamer? And what hardware do you use to save your files/data?

Last edited by jdandy; 04-17-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:12 PM

I have the Klimax-DSM and love the sound. The Kazoo software is not the greatest.
All my files are on a Mac Mini in AIFF or FLAC format. A few mp3's.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:24 PM

I have the Akurate DSM and love it. I actually posted it for sale only because a Klimax DSM became available second hand and I was thinking of upgrading.

Agree with Kippyy, Kazoo is just ok. I have mostly alac files and some flac. I run a macbook air with a raid drive. I forgot the file server software I run (mini something) but was free and works great.

I had a Majik DSi years ago.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:30 PM

Default Linn Majik ds

Thanx for your replys! So basically you can use an apple time capsule and rip stuff via a mac with a drive. You then stream music files from the storage to the Linn and the sound quality equals the previous CD - only you don't need the CD anymore... also you have the option to stream using Spotify and co... right ?
Old 04-17-2017, 05:40 PM

I auditioned one last week (also the Akurate DS & the Kilmax DS)- very impressed with the unit- sound was fantastic & the 'Sound Optimisation' software system was a winner.

The Akurate DS was a small step-up, the Kilmax a BIG step up (out of my price range!)

I would be very happy having the Majik as my next streamer.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:56 PM

Is it really no loss in quality over a good Transport/DAC combination (I use McIntosh MCT 450 via C52 for digital)...
Old 04-17-2017, 06:14 PM

I have a Majik DS which I use with a Synology NAS for file storage, most files being in FLAC format thanks to DBpoweramp.

I started with a Sneaky DS player before moving to the Majik which I found was a pretty big step up. I now use the Majik for streaming only a I find the DAC in the Esoteric K-01X to be superior. Having said that, for the money I think the Linn Majik is a great unit and have really enjoyed it in my system.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno2009 View Post
Thanx for your replys! So basically you can use an apple time capsule and rip stuff via a mac with a drive. You then stream music files from the storage to the Linn and the sound quality equals the previous CD - only you don't need the CD anymore... also you have the option to stream using Spotify and co... right ?

Not sure on Spotify, but yes no need to use your cds once ripped onto the hard disk.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:42 AM

Default Linn Majik ds

I have a Klimax DSM in my main system and a Sneaky in a 2nd system. I've also owned an Akurate DS. Music is stored on a Synology NAS and streamed over my home network. Linn provides a fair amount of guidance for network setup, the ideal being NAS or computer (MAC or PC) and Linn streamer connected to a network switch on your network.

I no longer own a disc player because frankly the sound from the Klimax is as good as or better than any disc player or transport/dac combination I've heard, and I've auditioned a few at the upper end. As with anything else though, you have to compare apples to apples. A Linn streamer properly implemented will sound as good as or better than a comparable cd player or transport/dac combination in the same price range, but you can't compare a Majik to an Esoteric K01X, they're in entirely different price and performance levels.

I have no personal experience with the Mac gear you reference, but looking at the price level and reviews, I think they're in a different league from the Majik. You're comparing a $4k transport and $7k preamp/dac combo to a $2500 streamer. I suspect you would have to be at the Akurate level with Linn to equal this performance. While I'm a Linn streaming fan, I wouldn't trade that level of Mac gear for a Majik.

Linn streamers have integrated Tidal and Qobuz, but not Spotify. They have focused their efforts on integrating cd-quality or better streaming services, hence Tidal and Qobuz - Spotify, while popular, is just now starting to trial cd-quality. You can always of course use the Spotify app on an iPad and Airplay to a Linn streamer - you won't lose anything in terms of sound quality.

Re software, Linn's server software is basic and easy to implement, but not very flexible. There are other options such as Minimserver (my favorite and very flexible), JRiver, or Synology's media server. The control point app, Kazoo, is serviceable if you have a good server, but you can also use the Lumin app, which works quite well. There are those within the Linn community lobbying hard for Roon compatibility, which, if it happens, would be an unbeatable combination.

Good luck.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 04-18-2017 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:56 AM

I have a Majik.I have been running J river as the server from my laptop.As long as I set it up and link it,leave everything on it works great. If I turn anything off then next time I try to play a song all bets are off.
As soon as I have the money I am switching to a server ,hard drive in the box unit,like a Lumin or Aurender. Probably the Aurender at this point.