AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Accuphase

Accuphase Enrich Life through Technology

Old 12-10-2015, 06:38 AM

Martin,

Quote:
They are more forgiving in placement, but each chassis, because of its placement, interacts differently with the ambient.
Just to clarify,
do you mean that the "2x smaller bass driver" speakers, because they are typically less wide than "1x 15" bass driver" 801, are easier to put in sweet spot in domestic rooms so in the end such 2x smaller bass driver speakers are more forgiving?
Old 01-18-2016, 11:20 AM

I wonder if someone knows why the DG-58 has an hotter analogue output than the usual level of Accuphase gear.

I've compared it to the DP-75 and DC-81L XLR and RCA output, and while these tho machines are exactly at the same level, the DG-58 is sensibly louder. I understand that the DG-58 is also hotter than more recent Accuphase sources.

Is it because in the "Accuphase vision", the DG-58 in some scenarios can be used to directly drive a power amp? (In the brochure it is indicated a situation in wich the DG-58 is positioned after the preamplifier).

Last edited by Mattia; 01-18-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattia View Post
I wonder if someone knows why the DG-58 has an hotter analogue output than the usual level of Accuphase gear.
In the digital domain, you technically cannot go above 0dBFS. In order to prevent related distortion, you have to do an overall signal attenuation, when you need to lift certain frequencies for correction.

To prevent the (correct) perception of losing level when using correction via ADC/DAC, Accuphase decided to make the analog outputs hotter than those of other Accuphase DAC's (normally 2,5V for 0dBFS).

The digital outputs fully reflect the above mentioned attenuation.

Martin
Old 01-24-2016, 11:12 AM

Martin,
thank you for your answer, now it all makes sense
Old 04-06-2017, 09:34 PM

Default Drop the other shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
Not a problem.

Get the DF55 and two more A200's.
Well actually if you have a 4 way speaker you can get 2 DF-55s, run in mono and buy six more A200's. Just saying for anybody who has something like let's say the B&W snails. Or save a little money and just use A-70s for the top end. Hell that will practically pay for the extra DF-55. Now I am really dreaming.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:37 PM

Accuphase DG58 Review

Before I got into any room correction I checked out Audyssey and then the MEN220 which I ultimately purchased. The MEN220 did a very good job smoothing out some of the low frequency peaks in my room. From middle C on up, my system in the room was very flat to begin with, and the MEN220 fixed the bass but I wanted “more.” The MEN220 works completely behind the scenes and while it smoothed the bass, I wanted to know exactly WHAT it was doing and to have control over what it was doing. We always want “more,” and I thought I was done with the system. I know, famous last words. Enter the Accuphase DG58.

I just installed my new Accuphase DG58 voicing equalizer/room correction. I spent a lot of time reading the manual before even unboxing it and several parts had to be read a few times. This component has a longer learning curve than I expected. I am not yet fully versed in its use and capabilities. It has tremendous capabilities and flexibility and I have just begun to scratch the surface. The DG58 uses a microphone to make measurements in the same fashion as the MEN220. You set it up in the seating positions you want calibrated and there are 30 memories to store the voicing and equalization results for the different listening positions and/or voicing you create. In each of the memories, you can call up the room correction only, your custom equalization curve only or room correction plus your custom equalization. You can give real names, not just numbers to those memory files that show up on the front panel of the DG58. In this regard the measurements are different from the MEN220 which has you measure the room in several locations, mainly to get “room knowledge” which is used for the “global” correction. The MEN220 will also allow you to store several focus listening positions with numbered names but you have to write their descriptions on a piece of paper for what the different focus positions are. The MEN220 also has a few curves that it can superimpose on the room correction for different sounds. The DG58 has a few preset curves you can use as a starting point for your custom curves. You are able to create your own voicing superimposed on the room correction. The Accuphase does not have a “global” correction, but by looking at the various curves on the front panel, you can draw on the screen to create your own “global” response curve. The DG58 has two simple types of room correction, “flat” which as the name implies will create a flat room response and “smooth” which will take your speaker’s room response and smooth out the peaks and valleys. Then there are the custom voicing curves you can create, which I have not gotten into yet. By contrast, the RoomPerfect in the MEN220 is not designed to create a flat target curve. It only does the equivalent of the “smoothing” in the DG58.

The sound from the DG58 is spectacular. As good as my system was with the MEN220, the DG58 is a clear cut above. The smoothness of the room frequency response is amazing. The differences in the deep bass notes are more apparent and there is absolutely no sensation of a one note bass anywhere in the spectrum. What about my MEN220? It is being installed in my living room system which will greatly benefit from its presence.

Thank you Ivan for the lay-away and the smooth easy transaction.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:42 PM

Hi Gary,
glad you enjoy your DG-58. As I said many times, my impression is that for an already good system (gear+room without many problems) the DG-58 can provide nice results, with a total transparency in the chain.

Quote:
The DG58 has two simple types of room correction, “flat” which as the name implies will create a flat room response and “smooth” which will take your speaker’s room response and smooth out the peaks and valleys.
In fact there is also a "Mid" level correction, that is accessible in the menu (not directly from the main page), that is midway between smooth and flat correction.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:40 AM

Hello, I am taking this opportunity to ask a question: I have recently purchased a second hand DG48 from a friend, to complement my DP500 and E350 and my Sonus Faber Cremona M. I have so far only done the standard voicing, adjusting to the flat response and already the correction were amazing!!! I have recently moved in a flat in Paris with lots of windows and wood flooring and the sound was previously very u
Old 07-20-2017, 05:44 AM

...Unbalanced with too strong bass and insufficient trebble. Now the sound is really balanced althought I will maybe check out the "smoothing" option that you mention. However there is one thing that bothers me: the screen does not stay lit up. Innother words, when I touch it with the stylus, it lits up, but only for a few seconds and then blacks out again. So tondo the mike testing I had to keep pressing the screen to be able to follow the testing. And now when I am using it in normal listening condition the sceeen is black. Is this normal? Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:17 PM

LeoCasa,
I know I may ask an obvious question, but don't you perhaps have the "Auto turn off LCD" (don't remember the exact name used by Accuphase) option activated?

I don't know about the 48, but in the 58 is in one of the last pages on the configuration menu.