Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 12-10-2018, 10:25 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Bryston Launches BP-17³ Cubed Preamplifier

New preamp is the first to employ patented Salomie input circuit and new feature set with highly flexible input/output array

Peterborough, Ontario August, 2017

Bryston has announced the introduction of the new BP-17³ (Cubed Series) preamplifier, utilizing patented technology that debuted on the much heralded Cubed Series amplifiers. The BP-17³ also features a new expanded input/output configuration for enhanced system flexibility. Like all analog components from Bryston, the BP-17³ is covered by an industry best 20 year warranty.

Bryston’s patented super-linear, low noise input buffer jointly developed by Bryston and the late Ph.D. engineer Dr. Ioan Alexandru Salomie significantly reduces noise and distortion. The BP-17³ also has improved RF and audio frequency noise filtering to prevent unwanted anomalies on the power line from interfering even minutely with the audio signal.

The BP-17³ offers expanded input/output options, including two pairs of XLR outputs and two pairs of RCA outputs, making it possible to connect a wide variety of equipment and accommodate numerous system configurations. An RCA tape loop lets users connect a line-level processor or recording device and one of the XLR output pairs can be internally selected to have either variable (default) or fixed output enabling users to easily connect a Bryston BHA-1 or other balanced input headphone amplifier.

The BP-17³ also includes two pairs of balanced inputs and five pair RCA inputs, and can be ordered with a high-resolution internal DAC, a premium moving magnet phono stage, both DAC and phono modules or without either module installed. Users can select sources, adjust volume and more all from the optional BR-2 remote control or via RS232 connection to virtually any control ecosystem. The BP-173 is available in either black or silver, 17-inch or 19-inch (wide) faceplates.

The BP-17³ will begin shipping to authorized dealers in September, 2017 with a US MSRP of $3995.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xcmwzp8fu...YBUtTCAsa?dl=0
James - have ask a couple of questions about my new BP-17³ over the past couple of weeks on your website 'Technical' e-mail line and have heard crickets in response. Is your Technical Questions no longer monitored?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-10-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
James - have ask a couple of questions about my new BP-17³ over the past couple of weeks on your website 'Technical' e-mail line and have heard crickets in response. Is your Technical Questions no longer monitored?

Yes sorry that is no longer looked at regularly - we should take it down.

james
Old 12-10-2018, 05:20 PM
Retired

Where/how should I ask?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-10-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Where/how should I ask?
Hi

Email me and I will pass it on to engineering for you.

jamestanner@bryston.com

james
Old 12-11-2018, 09:32 AM
Retired

Thank you. The preamp is great.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:40 AM

Hi Glenn

Answers to your questions from engineering.

Hi James,

1) Yes, you are correct. The output XLR are in parallel, therefore not independently selectable.

2) The BP17 CUBED has two trigger outputs, one of which will output when the unit comes out of mute, the other one which is configurable to output only when a specific INPUT switch is selected. Both trigger outputs require a wired mono 3.5mm phono plug.

The connectors required on the 4BST and BHA1 should have been supplied with the unit.

Hope this helps,

David
Old 12-11-2018, 03:15 PM
Retired

Got it.
Thank you.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:43 PM

Default Bryston Launches BP-17³ Cubed Preamplifier

Quote:
Hi Stefan

No software changes so far.

james

Hi James,

My preamp was in for service and the work order says they updated the software to R05.2. They did not indicate what bug, if any, was addressed. I haven’t seen any change in behavior and I still get the occasional “rogue” input LED coming on when I shut down (entering Standby).

Note that my unit was very early production (serial 00007).

Stefan

Last edited by Stefan_DR3; 12-14-2018 at 01:52 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_DR3 View Post
Hi James,

My preamp was in for service and the work order says they updated the software. They did not indicate what bug, if any, was addressed. I haven’t seen any change in behavior and I still get the occasional “rogue” input LED coming on when I shut down (entering Standby).

Note that my unit was very early production (serial 00007).

Stefan
I am not aware of any changes but I will ask Mike

james
Old 12-13-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_DR3 View Post
As for the remote, any chance Bryston has updated or will update the button labels?

Quote:
HI There is only 1 remote now and it is the BR2.

james
To rephrase the question, now that the BP-17 has been replaced by the 17 Cubed, could a new button label be made available for the remote? Perhaps owners of the BR2 could peel off the old label and stick on a new label with current preamp input names?