AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > GIK Acoustics

GIK Acoustics Bringing Your Sound To Life

Old 05-11-2014, 01:24 PM

Default Soffit Bass Trap in my Shopping Cart

Hey Glenn!

I'm generally quite happy with the acoustical work done for me by a local firm here in Dallas. About 25% room coverage really tamed the slap-echo in my living room. Having said that, I have one area where I have a room mode that needs to be absorbed. Because I'm looking primarily to absorb the deepest bass vs much more mid or high frequencies, am I correct in selecting the Soffit versus the tri-trap? I'd like to start with one and see where that gets me, and if necessary I can order a second and stack them. I also know that you sell the Monster Bass Trap that includes the optional range-limiter technology. Would that be another/better option for me and if so could I just stand that horizontally on the floor or would it need to be wall-mounted.

I'm excited about getting this last touch done, and look forward to any advice/suggestions.

Cheers,

Steve
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 05-13-2014, 09:13 AM

If you are looking for a trap that reaches the lowest frequency then the Soffit Trap is the way to go. Keep in mind that generally we recommend 4 of them. 2 will help but you may want to add more over time. Low end absorption is truly about coverage of as many corners as possible.
Europe - http://www.gikacoustics.co.uk
Old 05-13-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
If you are looking for a trap that reaches the lowest frequency then the Soffit Trap is the way to go. Keep in mind that generally we recommend 4 of them. 2 will help but you may want to add more over time. Low end absorption is truly about coverage of as many corners as possible.
Thanks Glenn. My odd shaped room really only has one corner that I could conceivably put a soffit in, but having said that I may buy one and see how it would fit in other potential areas. Might be able to get 2 in the room if I'm creative.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 05-14-2014, 08:50 AM

You can always lay them on the floor, in the corner, if there is space.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:26 AM

If it's super low, what about tuned traps? GIK has options for that as well if they'll fit for you.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbient View Post
If it's super low, what about tuned traps? GIK has options for that as well if they'll fit for you.
Right...the monster bass trap it appears can be tuned, but I'm thinking the Soffit will work. It's not that severe.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:05 AM

The Monster is still considered broadband. With the limiter is does cut off around 300hz though. It is the Scopus that is tuned.
I think for most rooms something like the Soffit is a great way to go. You can always follow up with tuned if needed.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Kuras View Post
The Monster is still considered broadband. With the limiter is does cut off around 300hz though. It is the Scopus that is tuned. I think for most rooms something like the Soffit is a great way to go. You can always follow up with tuned if needed.
Thanks again Glenn!