AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 07-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Retired

Default Any CUB Owner's Here?

Thinking of picking up a set of CUBs with stands and am wondering if there are any owners of same here? What do you think?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 07-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Wilson Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Thinking of picking up a set of CUBs with stands and am wondering if there are any owners of same here? What do you think?
Which series? 1 or 2?
Old 07-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Retired

Series 1. What is the difference?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 07-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Wilson Gal

Quote:
Series 1. What is the difference?
From Audio Video Revolution Sept 1, 2000:

"The primary differences between the original CUBs and the CUB IIs from an audio standpoint are in the tweeters. The all-new tweeters are more transparent and musical than those of the original CUBs. The speakers have a new look that is much improved over the originals and have much better serviceability if they should ever need repair. On the original CUBs, the WilsonGloss finish was an option; now it is a standard feature."

The rest of that review: Wilson Audio CUB II Loudspeakers-AVRev.com

The look is different (which is the part I mainly dealt with when I was building them years ago):

Series 1 - http://file.blog-ochanomizu.audiounion.jp/CUB.JPG

Series 2 - http://www.ne.jp/asahi/classic/taksa...leblack1-2.jpg

For the series 1, I picked that photo so you could clearly see on the front that it is the enclosure (painted red) and then 2 pieces are mounted after the tweeter was installed (the black painted pieces). The series 2 was just one piece. Also, on the back the crossover mounting is different in the series 2.

From my perspective, the series 2 is easier to deal with (replacing drivers, crossovers, resistors, etc-- and of course for me, building them! ).

Both series in my opinion were wonderful speakers. One of the things that impressed me with the Cubs was with such small drivers, the amount of bass that you got from them was amazing! Mind you it's not room shaking bass, but for 4" drivers, it is more then you would expect! Infact, one of the last CES's I went to was when Wilson was showing Cubs with a sub. Peter put on a song and said "this is the Cub with the sub on". You could hear the people talking saying it sounded good. Meanwhile, I was behind the counter with my back to them and stopped, listened, and said: "No, the sub is NOT on". Peter looked over and realized he had not switched on the sub. It was amazing to me that it could mislead people to think that a sub was hooked up!

I loved the Cub, and was sad to see it go!

Last edited by Lildebs888; 07-13-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:58 PM
Retired

Thanks for your very complete response. Was waffling, but you've convinced me to pick them up. Luckily, they include the stands and have the optional gloss-black finish. Really like that red in your photo.

Can the updated Series II tweeter be installed in the Series 1?

Planning on driving them with the reissue McIntosh MC75 monobloc tube amps, which make about 100wpc, so am thinking that running them on the 4-ohm output terminals would work fine. See any problems?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Wilson Gal

Quote:
Thanks for your very complete response. Was waffling, but you've convinced me to pick them up. Luckily, they include the stands and have the optional gloss-black finish. Really like that red in your photo.

Can the updated Series II tweeter be installed in the Series 1?

Planning on driving them with the reissue McIntosh MC75 monobloc tube amps, which make about 100wpc, so am thinking that running them on the 4-ohm output terminals would work fine. See any problems?
I am glad I could help you with your desion! And the gloss black looks the best in my opinion compared to the typical laminate that most of them came in. So nice find!!

I talked to Jerron at Wilson Audio and he said: the series 2 tweeters work great in the series 1's. He also said that you should try both taps on the Mc75 amp. He thought that you might like the 8 ohm tap better. Do an A/B comparison

When you get them, make sure to post up photos of them!! I am excited to see them. I always loved the cubs, and I am sure you will too!

Last edited by Lildebs888; 07-13-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Retired

Here's a pic from the seller. I'll post with my system when I get them installed next month. I'm in touch with Jerron to discuss the series II speakers. Thanks, again.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Wilson Gal

Quote:
Here's a pic from the seller. I'll post with my system when I get them installed next month. I'm in touch with Jerron to discuss the series II speakers. Thanks, again.
Oo they look nice! I am excited for you!!
Old 08-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Retired

The CUBs are in their new home and I'm very pleased. An immediate and real step up from the speakers they replaced. Not sure if my hip will recover from moving 100 pound, each, stands and 80 pound speakers into and out of the car. Used a hand-truck to get everything down the stairs into the basement listening. Very substantial. But, worth the effort. They sound 'effortless'. And, much 'faster' then their predecessors.

Here's a pic. Still playing with proper set-up in the near field. Thought the 90 pound Yamaha NS-1000 made for a big (heavy) near field monitor. However, at about 170 pounds, each, these are a tussle to move. listening at 7' at the moment, but will likely move the left channel to the left another foot or two.

Just noticed that my camera makes it appear that I live in a house askew (everything leans to the left). Perhaps this is the alternate universe? If so, certainly sounds good. Anyone need a very nice set of Joseph Audio RM25XLs in the rosewood finish?

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 08-08-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Wilson Gal

Quote:
The CUBs are in their new home and I'm very pleased. An immediate and real step up from the speakers they replaced. Not sure if my hip will recover from moving 100 pound, each, stands and 80 pound speakers into and out of the car. Used a hand-truck to get everything down the stairs into the basement listening. Very substantial. But, worth the effort. They sound 'effortless'. And, much 'faster' then their predecessors.

Here's a pic. Still playing with proper set-up in the near field. Thought the 90 pound Yamaha NS-1000 made for a big (heavy) near field monitor. However, at about 170 pounds, each, these are a tussle to move. listening at 7' at the moment, but will likely move the left channel to the left another foot or two.

Just noticed that my camera makes it appear that I live in a house askew (everything leans to the left). Perhaps this is the alternate universe? If so, certainly sounds good. Anyone need a very nice set of Joseph Audio RM25XLs in the rosewood finish?

This is so exciting for you! I really do miss the cubs. They were a wonderful speaker, and I am sad that Wilson no longer produces them. I hope you enjoy them as many others have. If you ever need anything, or have any questions about them please feel free to ask. I will always do my best to get you answers.

Happy listening!

Deb