AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 07-21-2011, 05:10 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfibius View Post
bart, have you heard the 1930 recording of the Rach 3 with Horowitz? That recording positively crackles with excitement and ... uhh ... crackles. A friend brought it over to my place more than 10 years ago and the performance was unforgettable. I have never been able to locate one since
I need to hunt down both the 1930 and the 1978 Rach 3 by Horowitz. Got it on my wish list. Thanks for bringing it up!
I think this might be the best option, giving you a lot of his superb earlier recordings. I put it on my wish list...

Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 07-21-2011, 06:00 AM
Life is beautiful

Beethoven: Piano Concertos 4 & 5- Wilhelm Kempff with the Berliner Philharmoniker, cond. Ferdinand Leitner

Certainly amongst the finest recordings of these masterpieces...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 07-21-2011, 06:24 AM
Life is beautiful

On special request from my little one, still sitting with me in the sofa (!):
Ravel: Boléro - Herbert Von Karajan conducting the Berliner Philharmoniker

We started quite loud, so we're going to end REALLY LOUD!!

Last edited by bart; 07-21-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Life is beautiful

She even wanted more of the same!
Ik took this version:

A lot slower ; for such an extravert piece of music this is quite introvert
Old 07-21-2011, 06:39 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Listening to . . . Liszt - Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 - Mercury Living Presence

Byron Janis - Piano

Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra Conducted by Kyril Kondrashin

Recorded in 1962 - The first recording ever made in the Soviet Union by American Technicians and Musical Staff and Equipment.

Recorded by Mercury on Location in Moscow

. . . . . . . .

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 07-21-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
She even wanted more of the same!
Ik took this version:

A lot slower ; for such an extravert piece of music this is quite introvert

Hey Bart,

I think I could listen to Ravel's Bolero twice in one sitting,
but I also think it would take one of my children (grandchildren) to make me do it. Good for you Bart!

Which version do you like best?

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 07-21-2011, 07:11 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice View Post
Hey Bart,

I think I could listen to Ravel's Bolero twice in one sitting,
but I also think it would take one of my children (grandchildren) to make me do it. Good for you Bart!

Which version do you like best?
Hi Julian,

As the disk continues, I even lured her into the 'Pavane pour une infante défunte', and now 'La Valse'... (She wanted a third go of the Boléro!!).
She's well used to classical. She'll be one of the new members on this thread let's hope somewhere in the (near?) future (12 years old now).
I think I like Von Karajan's pace a little bit more than the Barenboim interpretation. But both are nice.
I put the 'Living Stereo' SACD on my wish list, to have yet another version, I read good things about it. Do you have it? Like it?

Bart
Old 07-21-2011, 08:05 AM

There has recently been some discussion in this thread about Jacqueline Du Pre - and her playing of the cello. She was a remarkable cellist and it is very enlightening to watch videos of her playing the instrument.

She, more than any other string player I've ever seen, becomes a part of the instrument, she and the cello become one, and the music they produce becomes magical.

If you like the cello, and don't dislike the music of Elgar. . . watch the video at ‪Elgar Cello Concerto 1st mov.‬‏ - YouTube to see what I'm speaking of.

Last edited by AudioNut; 07-21-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:18 AM

Thank you, Kal, for this recommendation. I couldn't find an SACD that I could afford, so I ordered the CD.

I'm sure that the SACD is probably better, but it would be hard to improve on this. . . .

Listening to . . . Dream of the Orient

Concerto Koln - Werner Köln Dir. and Saraband - Vladimir Ivanoff Dir.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:40 PM
Music Provides Joy

Good recording here.

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.