AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc

MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc Ultra High End Equipment

Old 07-05-2013, 08:36 AM

i listened MSB signature dac with galaxy clock...only dac i can say that sounds near analog sound...when i read about berkley alpha 2 beeing on par with 3 times expensiver dacs i just hear msb and have good laugh....this thing is sublime...no comparision with other dacs...well maybe diamond version(i heard diamonds on show but not at good enviroment so i cant comment) no dac i heard has so little of digital grain and only that sounds analog but also dynamic rich...only dac i would buy in future...of course it cant match good turntable but its close and more comfort...my regards....

Last edited by Raindog031; 07-06-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindog031 View Post
i listened MSB signature dac with galaxy clock...only dac i can say that sounds near nalog sound...when i read about berkley alpha 2 beeing on par with 3 times expensiver dacs i just hear msb and have good laugh....this thing is sublime...no comparision with other dacs...well maybe diamond version(i heard diamonds on show but not at good enviroment so i cant comment) no dac i heard has so little of digital grain and only that sounds analog but also dynamic rich...only dac i would buy in future...afcorse it cant match good turntable but its close and more comfort...my regards....
I believe you are overstating the differences between DAC's when you indicate "no comparison" with MSB line and other DAC's. I had the Analog DAC in my system for a couple of weeks and found it virtually indistinguishable from those in my 808v3, with each having strengths and weaknesses. The dealer wanted me to try the his Signature with Femto clock and Diamond Power Base in my set-up but after comparing this to the Analog DAC in his store I could see where the personal preferences would come into play. The Analog being smoother while the upgraded model was more detailed and closer to Meridian. Just flipping cables back an forth makes these comparisons very difficult. The best way to identify the small differences in most quality DAC's is to connect them both to a quality pre-amp using the same cabling and source. Then switch inputs back and forth so you here the same passages within seconds of each other.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:16 PM

Jim,

I highly recommend you borrow the DAC IV Signature or Diamond when you have a chance.

I belive that when you sit comfortably in your own chair, you will see (hear) what the fuss is all about. Those DACs are simply outstanding, this is by far the best digital I have ever heard.

And as for the AnalogDAC - there is simply no comparison.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
To the MSB DAC IV, or the Meridian? Or just to anything other than MSB?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:13 PM

Jim you cant even compare MSB analog DAC with Signature or diamond...they are better by wide margin...its not even in tastes...all i said that listening MSB signature with galaxy clock and diamond power base is most analog sounding dac i ever heard...i guess i didnt heard as much expensive dacs as i want to hear but this is just another league...far from hi-fi sound...
Old 07-05-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindog031 View Post
Jim you cant even compare MSB analog DAC with Signature or diamond...they are better by wide margin...its not even in tastes...all i said that listening MSB signature with galaxy clock and diamond power base is most analog sounding dac i ever heard...i guess i didnt heard as much expensive dacs as i want to hear but this is just another league...far from hi-fi sound...
I think a lot of true things about MSB are already said.
In my opinion, the Analog DAC is very good. In fact it's a true killer and perhaps affordable. But the upgraded line is stepping up the sound even more. I have done that test myself, at home, in my system, with other contenders and the result was clear. MSB does it better than anything I have ever heard. The big step that made my system sound better was to enter the MSB family. When you are there it's getting better and better when you climb up the upgrade line.
My opinion is that using the platinum line series is worth it.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junker View Post
To the MSB DAC IV, or the Meridian? Or just to anything other than MSB?
What I meant is that there is no comparision between the AnalogDAC and DAC IV Signature/Diamond. The later is much better.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:51 PM

Thanks. I wasn't sure how much better the DACIV was vs the AnalogDAC.

Do you guys think the gap would close much with the optional power supply since that would be more apples to apples. Your comparison is with the DACIV is with upgraded power supplies.

Last edited by junker; 07-05-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
Jim,

I highly recommend you borrow the DAC IV Signature or Diamond when you have a chance.

I belive that when you sit comfortably in your own chair, you will see (hear) what the fuss is all about. Those DACs are simply outstanding, this is by far the best digital I have ever heard.

Please understand, when I was returning the Analog DAC I ended up comparing the Analog DAC to the Signature Dac/Diamond Power supply (with and without the Galaxy clock). Here are my comments I posted earlier.

When returning the Analog DAC earlier this morning Jeff at David Michael Audio suggested I stay a few minutes and listen to the Signature DAC/Diamond Power Supply combo with and without the Galaxy clock. After listening to several tracks with and with the clock in the loop, he then connected the Analog DAC to the Diamond Power supply as another option to consider.

I could definitely here a difference with and without the clock in the loop. My preference was with the Galaxy clock but I could understand where a few individuals might prefer the less defined sound without the upgraded clock.

It was hard to compare the sound of the Analog DAC now connected to the Diamond Power Supply to what I heard in my very different set-up. My best guess is that here was an improvement.

None of the options warranted further comparison to the Meridian especially since I have not upgraded it to v5 for the newer DAC and linear power supply.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexorca View Post
Congrats!
What dac do you use it with?

The real magic will appear when you use it with MSB dac. The dac is the jewel. Together, they kill most likely everything you try it against.
I use it with a bel canto 3.5 vbs , having tried lots of others I really like this for its sound , incredible ease of use and rock solid build quality