AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 10-09-2017, 02:25 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
Stephen-

Beautifully written essay with much detailed information as to how you arrived where you are. It is certainly a great guide for those of us who are flondering with next step "computer" audio decisions.

Do you still have your MacMini away from the audio rack and stream to an Airport Express connected to the DAC via the MR? Do you think this new Gen 5 USB would allow the elimination of the MR/Express and allow you to have the mini on (or near) the rack connected directly to the Gumby via USB?

Thanks for all of this!
Hi John,
Yes, I still have the Mac Mini away from the audio rack. I don't want it anywhere near the audio rack because general purpose consumer-electronics computers are noisy, grungy, hashy things, and I don't want them anywhere near my audio amplification chain and speaker cables. Also, having the Mac Mini in the bedroom office lets me connectly it directly via Ethernet to my network router, which results in much better connectivity with Roon, the Mac Mini via screen sharing, or the Roon app running in Remote mode. The other main reason I still use the Sonore microRendu is that it serves as a Roon-ready endpoint, and lets me stream "Lossless" (bit-perfect) audio the Gumby.

You could connect your computer in your audio rack to Gumby's Gen 5 port and obtain excellent performance. My understanding is that USB regenerators/reclockers like the microRendu, or or Uptone Audio IsoRegen are not necessary as the Schiit Gen 5 USB implementation eliminates the need for any of this. But then, Gumby is not a Roon endpoint, and would only provide "High Quality" streaming audio from Roon rather than "Lossless" (bit-perfect).

This is alone would be sufficient reason for me to use the Sonore microRendu.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:32 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Blues View Post
Stephen- I look forward to your review of a new Yggdrasil.
Ha ha! I would love to, but don't have an Yggy to review. I've heard that Gumby is not quite as resolving, but more musical and sweeter in character overall than Yggy, so I'm staying put. The first time I heard Gumby with a Schiit Mjolnir headphone amp at the CA Audio Show in July, I was surprised at how musical and sweet-sounding it was. This is what convinced me to go for the Multibit upgrade.

Also, I've heard that Jason Stoddard of Schiit also prefers Gumby to Yggy because of its melodic sweetness, and uses one for his own system.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:37 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Stephen.......That was an enjoyable and detailed report of the upgrade path of your Schiit GUNGNIR DAC and related ancillary digital gear. The EITR USB to coaxial converter with linear power supply is a unique device at a good price. I enjoyed reading this review. It made me take a look at the Schiit website.
Thanks, Dan. The Eitr USB to SPDIF convertor is, IMO, a killer product. For anyone that has a DAC with both USB and a digital coax SPDIF input, or only a coax SPDIF input, that wants to stream files from a computer's USB port to their DAC, Eitr is the way to go, as I would doubt many DACs would have a USB implementation (or SPDIF conversion) as good as Eitr's.

Schiit pulled out all the stops on Eitr.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Thanks, Dan. The Eitr USB to SPDIF convertor is, IMO, a killer product. For anyone that has a DAC with both USB and a digital coax SPDIF input, or only a coax SPDIF input, that wants to stream files from a computer's USB port to their DAC, Eitr is the way to go, as I would doubt many DACs would have a USB implementation (or SPDIF conversion) as good as Eitr's.

Schiit pulled out all the stops on Eitr.
Thanks for sharing your impressions and journey with the Schiity DACs Stephen. I am also thinking about a DAC and Gumby may just be the ticket for what I have in mind. Question, does one need an Eitr with the Shiity DACs or is that already built into them?
Old 10-18-2017, 12:33 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Thanks for sharing your impressions and journey with the Schiity DACs Stephen. I am also thinking about a DAC and Gumby may just be the ticket for what I have in mind. Question, does one need an Eitr with the Shiity DACs or is that already built into them?
Serge, if you get the current Gungnir Multibit aka Gumby, with the Gen 5 USB (which is what they all ship with now), you will not need an Eitr.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Serge, if you get the current Gungnir Multibit aka Gumby, with the Gen 5 USB (which is what they all ship with now), you will not need an Eitr.
Thanks Stephen!
Old 11-11-2017, 10:55 PM

Nice, in-depth review of Gumby Multibit. http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardwa...-headphone-amp
Old 11-11-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
These are just brief notes and impressions, but the overarching and predominant quality of the Gungnir Multibit is that it is one of the most analog, least digital-sounding playback devices I've ever heard. It sounds like the best of analog on a very good turntable, but it sounds like going from a good moving magnet cartridge to a superb low-output moving coil. it is brilliant at creating an engaging and beguiling musical experience and I find myself just getting sucked into the music hour after hour. It doesn't sound digital..it sounds like MUSIC
My Gumby has never been turned off for nearly a month now and has exceeded the 300hr mark of initial break in and thermal stabilization. Your description is spot on Stephen. I strongly agree that the R-2R architecture DAC is about as analog as DAC sound gets. The smoothness, the ease and the organic presentation of Gumby is very pleasing to the ear. I am enjoying the heck out of my Gumby.

I started doing some research as to why and to educate myself a bit more on the topic. Came across this article which I thought was interesting. Delta-Sigma vs R-2R. http://sw1xad.co.uk/technology_post/...r-dac-designs/
Old 11-12-2017, 04:03 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Nice, in-depth review of Gumby Multibit. http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardwa...-headphone-amp
Cool. I will have to read that. Thanks!
Old 11-12-2017, 04:05 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
My Gumby has never been turned off for nearly a month now and has exceeded the 300hr mark of initial break in and thermal stabilization. Your description is spot on Stephen. I strongly agree that the R-2R architecture DAC is about as analog as DAC sound gets. The smoothness, the ease and the organic presentation of Gumby is very pleasing to the ear. I am enjoying the heck out of my Gumby.

I started doing some research as to why and to educate myself a bit more on the topic. Came across this article which I thought was interesting. Delta-Sigma vs R-2R. http://sw1xad.co.uk/technology_post/...r-dac-designs/
That's great to hear, Serge. I am very pleased that this purchase has worked out so well for you. I'll have to read that article, thanks.