AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 08-15-2016, 04:25 PM

Default Shunyata Hydra - audible improvement to the system?

Hi - I`m thinking about a Hydra for my components. I have no experience with power distributors at all. How is your experience - is it a nice "gimmick" for our hobby (and we`re all a little crazy after all) or is it a real audible improvement?

If so - what would you compare it with when talking "measurable improvement".

Thanx all
Old 08-15-2016, 09:38 PM

You're likely to be buried by comments on the benefits of power conditioners, so here's the short version.

Lots of companies have shown electrical measurements that demonstrate reduced distortion(s) or increased power response transients. Do these measurements apply to what you hear? We suspect so, but it is not a given. Your best bet, and the one to rely upon, is to try it and listen for yourself. Many have found Shunyata to be very responsive and helpful to their customers, so you've definitely picked a great forum to start. Recommend you let Shunyata know what you have and try what they suggest. The sonic benefits will become clear.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:33 AM

Sounds promising!

I think I`ll try to get a hold on a Hydra and see - just thought it`d be helpful to get a few reactions from this forum first.

Last edited by bruno2009; 08-16-2016 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:05 AM

I love my Shnuyata gear. The improvement from the power conditioners alone is equal to, or better, than a gear upgrade. Be sure to get dedicated power lines for amps and source.

---------------------------------------------
Lumin S1
Sony XA5400ES SACD
Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
Magico S5 speakers

Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon for source, Cyclops v2 (2) for amps
Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
Revelation Audio Passage Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:18 PM

... getting a Hydra for some testing...

Last edited by bruno2009; 08-21-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:54 PM

Great to hear!

As a side note, many have found that it is much better to have a complete set of very good power cables than to use one really great one, e.g., a set of Venom 3 power cords for every component versus one Alpha HC. Besides providing the biggest bang for the buck, it's usually the less expensive route too. Next likely upgrade would be the power cord to the conditioner, but curious how it goes with the Hydra first. Please let us know how it goes!
Old 08-22-2016, 12:06 PM

Hi - I use the Hydra for the main connection from the socket to the power distributor I have at the moment and from there the Venom 3 for all other components... I just don`t have the Hydra power distributor at the moment (and wasn't sure if this was a further invest worth making).
Old 08-26-2016, 08:50 PM

Hi all. Good time for a re-fresh of info.

From our perspective, power is vastly different (and far more critical) than simple audio cabling. its not a tweak or a random set of numbers or listening tests. Yes, we listen intently. We measure to prove what we do in virtually every arena, but there is more to it than that.

There is the product's strong success in different arenas. There are external measurements and proven results. If you get the power "wrong" to your electronics it can start a merry-go-round of system changes that are being mis-diagnosed as a problem with an amp or digital and many times, it's related to in-system power isolation. The grid is not "outside", its inside and the people that don't know that miss the point of electronic's sensitivity to power. It's all proximal, not external.

Our most recent video's of measurements and explanations are on our you-tube channel. There are many more than the one's we just posted. Ah, its embarrassing but important for us to explain our process. Not many company's do that. I know because I pay attention.

When I started working with Caelin in 1999, many people on-line challenged us about measurement... So, we posted an array of legitimate measurements, performed them live at shows and provided written and internal pic information few, if any manufacturer in our category have published.

After the many video measurements were published along -- with 8 Patents that are accessible on-line, the argument changed to; "so how is that relevant to audio?" Well, we have had a number of top studios working with us that were initially skeptical. Right, their primary and salary-paying job is "sound quality". SkyWalker Sound, Pink Floyd, Rick Rubin, Sony Music, Phillips Crest National Studio, James Guthrie etc... I'm the guy that went to every one of them.

Then I got the feedback, "Ok. well you likely paid these guys off or gave stuff away to get a favorable recommendation." My natural defense was to say, "so millionaire recording companies and engineers who care about their craft have to get freebies ---and that is their top priority, like, over sound? "

I could fall back on reviewers like Michael Fremer or Robert Harley, who have owned our products for 10 years-plus. How many reviewers like that keep anything for more than a year or two? Anyone? Bueller? If you have products that work for top reviewers for that long and they don't let it go, well... Not a final Vet, but wow, it should count at least a bit

Now we are in medical systems and not in a small way. Some of the finest hospitals in the US such as Abbott Heart Health, Norton Hospital in Louisville, Penn Presbyterian, Minneapolis Vet Hospital. Its a long list. They have all measured the profound drop in noise in their systems completely independently

Recently, I have been receiving inquires from customers saying, "Ok, so your stuff makes these profound differences in electrophysiology and heart surgery imaging systems, so what's the relevance to audio? I struggle to answer because I do all the traveling. I see the results. If we control power in a system, I know what happens. It's black and white. We are the opposite of a transformer-based product. Passive, no heat, no buzz no noise.

At the end of the day, the answer is a subjective one, but we provide a starting point to explore products that have proven success in medical, audio an pro-audio We offer life-time warranties on most of the big stuff and oh yes; the two dummies in the company are always willing to sit in front of a camera and explain what we do on an on going basis and make fools of ourselves.. The best part, our customer service--Richard Rogers, mainly, is crazy good.

We are simply trying to create a data-base of information to prove the efficacy of the products. "Audio" is certainly subjective and every system is different-- but if I am talking, power is not. Many people don't understand the role of power beyond changing, mixing and matching cables to balance sound, so who knows what might happen. Caelin and I know different. For a small company, we have proven it in every different venue you could imagine.

A few weeks ago I sat in on a medical conference in Pennsylvania about how to build out new surgery clinics from ground up with electrical. We know a thing or two about power beyond just building power conditioning systems... (Ok, really its just Caelin, but I've been a good listener for 17 years)

Power products if well made, are not a tweak, or about mixing cables to taste. It is critical in a very black and white way. I know that from experience. Power is as sensitive as the room. Most people don't know that.

We are certainly not a perfect company, but we aspire to be. Isn't that what we are all doing here?

Best regards,

Grant

Shunyata Research

Last edited by GrantS; 08-27-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantS View Post
We are the opposite of a transformer-based product product. Passive, no heat, no buzz no noise.
My previous conditioner was a PS Audio P10, and I think it was great - a standout at the price. I don't hesitate to recommend it. I demoed it against Shunyata products over the last couple of years but with the introduction of the Triton V2 and Typhon, along with the Sigma HC providing the power to the Triton V2, the experience and benefits over transformer based power delivery were evident and entirely positive.

I no longer own the P10 and power my front end components with aforementioned Shunyata products.

A glare in the high frequencies, that I really didn't know wasn't part of the musical signal, was distinctly reduced with the Shunyata products. The resolution was increased and the music came from more of a settled, black, background.

I look forward to hearing and learning about future Shunyata products because I think they're just getting started. A one box solution that has the sum of benefits from the Triton/Typhon would be great and I tend to think that's the performance that should be expected, going forward, hopefully.

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 08-26-2016, 11:04 PM

I love what Shunyata has done to my musical enjoyment. The Lumin was my last purchase, and that is pushing two years ago. Since then I have just been enjoying music.

Start building the Triton's/Typhon technology into the cable, and then I might start thinking of upgrading. However, at this point, your products are so good you have 'lost' a customer. LOL.

Thank you for hours of pleasure.

--------------------------------------------

Lumin S1
Sony XA5400ES SACD
Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
Magico S5 speakers

Shunyata Triton v2/Typhon for source, Cyclops v2 (2) for amps
Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
Revelation Audio Passage Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.