AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 10-04-2017, 12:08 PM

Having owned a number of these and the predecessors over the years I would agree with Grants list and the mention of the incredible advantage of KP1P which surpassed any expectation I could ever have regarding the quality of the day1 experience and every day after.

I know this thread is about power cords mainly....I will say however that I tested several 75 ohm and 50 ohm clock cables for Shunyata earlier this year and am now the proud owner of two (2) SIGMA AES 110 ohm digital cables with a request in for Sigma 50ohm cable. All Sigma digital have the TAP polarizer module and KPIP processing. After 2 months I can tell you that the Sigma AES digital cables between my Esoteric P02 and D02 are simply put, revelatory and WELL beyond sounding much better in every category than the best AES cables I have owned from Kubala Elation, AQ WEL, Tara Omega and 0.5, others and all those at even highest price points I have heard and considered over the years. Same note for the best 50ohm cables I have tried at Alpha level and will own at Sigma level. Shunyata is about redefine what is to be expected from digital cables, analog interconnects and powercords industry-wide IMHO.

Last edited by SCAudiophile; 10-04-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:00 PM

I have enjoyed reading the responses thus far, especially with regards to the hierarchy of excellence and the ranking of models therein. What few reviews have been regaled upon us I am eating up like rice pudding. I love rice pudding. I'm kind of surprised there haven't been more fine reviews but then ... maybe not so surprised.

It seems to me that we (I say we, but I should truly only profess to speak for myself) boosters of the Shunyata cords and cables just could not shake our conviction that the Anaconda was the best that could be. That cable was totemic! Then came the Sigma power cords and we had to reimagine the entire Shunyata paradigm. Now comes the rest of the Sigma line, as well as Alphas and Deltas. It's a smorgasbord.

As regards interconnects, I will be watching and reading with enthusiasm as further reviews come in. If the Delta line can better the Anaconda, I'm much intrigued. I don't recall seeing a review of the Deltas yet. And to gaze at the horizon, I'd love to own the Sigmas, their TAP polarizer technology just sounds so promising, but I may find myself relegated to the cheap seats for the foreseeable future. And I'm trying to determine if a leap from the Anaconda to the Delta even makes sense. I'm trying to get a handle on each offerings attributes and benefits.

Lastly -- and this is from left field -- but if a guy installed the new Sigma phono cables with TAP polarized technology to his step up transformer (SUT), could he be comfortable with a non-Sigma cable, say, .4 or .5 meter in length, between the SUT and the phono section? Man, at $4,000 per piece (more than that actually for the phono cable) he's looking at over $8,000 before he even hits his phono section.

More broadly, could a guy install a single piece of the new Sigma line and cobble his way along as resources allow; or would much of the value of the TAP polarizing technology be compromised somewhere along the line -- downstream, if he started with phono cables? Just curious what you all think. It seems to me the best place to start would be at the source and then add Sigma interconnects, as resources allow, moving downstream. Then again, I think we have one review where the listener surveyed his situation and started with the speaker cables. So I don't know. Thoughts?

Last edited by MisterBritt; 10-10-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:40 PM

Hi,

My .02 is that speaker cables in most systems do the heavy lifting, meaning that by combining current + signal, SPK cables must be more meticulously designed to ward off added resonance and dielectric related signal distortion. If these inherent distortions are addressed, they also can offer the best opportunity for a dramatic performance jump. Of course, there are no universal truths for cabling and there are exceptions to rules based on system specifics, so this is just one-take.

All that said, the TAP lowers EM distortion on the interconnects in a profound way. I demonstrate this at dealers by bringing the TAP in a la carte. I apply and then remove the TAP from a Delta IC as an effective demonstration. The differences are easy to hear.

I think some people will find aspects of the Delta signal cables preferable over Anaconda but I don't know that they would be better in every way, necessarily--they are less than 50% of the Anaconda price, for example. The Alpha models however, would be an attention grabber for anyone comparing to our previous top model, or many other top-models.

Sigma comparisons should range to any top of the line competitive model at any price. We were aggressive with getting the retail prices of these cables down, so I've been visiting dealers and comparing to other brands starting at double the Sigma price. It's been a great deal of fun so far.

There are a number of reviews in process, so stay tuned.

Grant

Last edited by GrantS; 10-11-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantS View Post
Hi,

My .02 is that speaker cables in most systems do the heavy lifting, meaning that by combining current + signal, SPK cables must be more meticulously designed to ward off added resonance and dielectric related signal distortion. If these inherent distortions are addressed, they also can offer the best opportunity for a dramatic performance jump. Of course, there are no universal truths for cabling and there are exceptions to rules based on system specifics, so this is just one-take.

All that said, the TAP lowers EM distortion on the interconnects in a profound way. I demonstrate this at dealers by bringing the TAP in a la carte. I apply and then remove the TAP from a Delta IC as an effective demonstration. The differences are easy to hear.

I think some people will find aspects of the Delta signal cables preferable over Anaconda but I don't know that they would be better in every way, necessarily--they are less than 50% of the Anaconda price, for example. The Alpha models however, would be an attention grabber for anyone comparing to our previous top model, or many other top-models.

Sigma comparisons should range to any top of the line competitive model at any price. We were aggressive with getting the retail prices of these cables down, so I've been visiting dealers and comparing to other brands starting at double the Sigma price. It's been a great deal of fun so far.

Grant
Cool. When I was pondering leaping from the Anaconda to the Delta, what I meant was leaping from the Anaconda to the Alpha. You answered my questions. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:36 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantS View Post
Hi,

Grant
Grant,
Is the TAP embodiment patented? I would like to read the patent(s) on this. I'm really interested in the science behind it.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.