AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 06-11-2020, 04:35 PM

In your acoustic conditions at home there may be a set of speakers that sound magnificent while in another room their sound is terrible. So the only way to have the best is listening to them in your situation, if necessory with DSP.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bubeck View Post
Maybe not a best fit for your listening choices, but nonetheless, you might benefit from auditioning Wilson Audio Sabrinas. They are excellent speakers for the money and have been reviewed very favorably in many quarters. Just a thought.

Happy listening!

Bob
Sources: Koetsu Onyx Gold/Clearaudio Innovation Wood w/Universal Arm 9”; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent G5 balanced and speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record cleaner: Kirmuss KA-RC-1 ultrasonic.
Sabrinas are excellent speakers, but I would not recommend for a Dire Straits fan--their bass is weak. At a minimum, you'll need a sub
Old 06-11-2020, 11:10 PM

I heard the Sabrinas once and was very impressed by the sound, the bass wasn't the strongest but nothing that a sub couldn't help with.

It's definitely worth listening to.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_brio View Post
I have now finaly dicided to get a new speaker...

But i have not heard any of them with mcintosh and its two very different speaker...
Olympica nova 3 (I have heard old olympica with Audio analog maestro gear)
Cornwall iv (I have had klipsch befor but not heritage) Every one that have heard this speaker says its one of the best. Here are e review and he has have a lot of nice speaker before.
https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2020/...-gentle-giant/

My current gear:
Mcintosh C500T
Mcintosh MC452
Schiit Yggdrasil A2
B&W CM10 S2
REL S812

I listen to Volbeat, Mark knopfler, Dire Straits and that kind of music and also some mordern electronic music but i dont listen to jazz and classic music.
What was the Klipsch you had before? KG? KLF?
McIntosh C48 McIntosh MC1201's McIntosh MC275 MonoBlocked X4 McIntosh MC250 X2 McIntosh MC7104 Classic Bob Crites Cornscala DBX Venu360 Technics SL-1200MK2PK Klipsch KP-600s Concert system Schiit Yggdrasil Klipsch Cinema KPT-684's modified Custom PC music player
Old 06-12-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minplus View Post
In your acoustic conditions at home there may be a set of speakers that sound magnificent while in another room their sound is terrible. So the only way to have the best is listening to them in your situation, if necessory with DSP.
Great post...

The active Legacy models I noted have 56bit RoomEQ / DSP via their Wavelet component
Old 06-12-2020, 11:01 AM

I compared Sabrina, Focals and Salon 2 directly in the the same room.

I bought the Salons...had the best balance to my ears.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
Sabrinas are excellent speakers, but I would not recommend for a Dire Straits fan--their bass is weak. At a minimum, you'll need a sub
Well, please notice that I did qualify the suggestion up front. But, while one is auditioning speakers in this general class, Sabrinas are worth consideration. They can reproduce Steely Dan beautifully. YMMV.

Bob
Sources: Koetsu Onyx Gold/Clearaudio Innovation Wood w/Universal Arm 9”; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent G5 balanced and speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record cleaner: Kirmuss KA-RC-1 ultrasonic.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bubeck View Post
Well, please notice that I did qualify the suggestion up front. But, while one is auditioning speakers in this general class, Sabrinas are worth consideration. They can reproduce Steely Dan beautifully. YMMV.

Bob
My favorite band! Yes--I loved the Sabrinas when I heard them in the store with Steely Dan, Miles Davis, and Morgan James. But just OK when I brought them home and put on Talking Heads. But this is not to dis Wilson in general--they have a magnificent line.

Make sure to get tix the next time Steely Dan comes to town--they still rock!
Old 06-13-2020, 12:53 AM

Speakers are very subjective almost personal like trying to suggest someone get a certain cologne. Now, with that out of the way! I love my Revel F228Be’s but they take a long time to break in. I’ll suggest consideration of the new Revel F328Be’s. Yes, I want to hear about them!
Old 06-13-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
My favorite band! Yes--I loved the Sabrinas when I heard them in the store with Steely Dan, Miles Davis, and Morgan James. But just OK when I brought them home and put on Talking Heads. But this is not to dis Wilson in general--they have a magnificent line.

Make sure to get tix the next time Steely Dan comes to town--they still rock!
Probably overall my favorite group. Seen them 3 times and loved every minute of it. Fagen brings such a great group of really talented musicians with him.

Now back to on topic. OP, have you decided anything yet?
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)