AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 07-23-2016, 08:30 PM

Jacques,

I have a Sony XBR70X850B 70" 4K unit and a viewing distance, from my head position to the screen face, of 12 feet. I suffer from no ill effects, nausea or vision issues such as losing contextual continuity, i.e., eyes darting around and not focusing on the screen.

I do admit it took a little while to get used to the larger visual presence of the unit. However, the acclimation period was not long and I am happy I purchased a monitor of that size.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban View Post
Wish that were true, but I sincerely doubt the TV can be dimmed on a per-single-pixel basis. I'll believe that when I see it! dde00 No LCD can do that. Still, I am sure it will be a great TV, but at those prices I would go with an Oled. I am personally waiting on a Panasonic Oled set before I upgrade my beloved 65VT60.
You are correct, Esteban :-) The "Backlight Master Drive" does offer the most densly packed LED array with individual LED control on the market to date. ...but not per pixel.

My first choice was also OLED, but the whole "screensaver/burn in" thing is a big turn off for me.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:49 AM

I run a 73" and i am about 12 feet back, if I went to even 85" I think I still would keep my seating about the same. I think the height is as if not more important too
Old 07-26-2016, 06:04 PM

When I was a kid, I'd always sit in the first couple of rows.

So now I sit 12' back from my 106" Diagonal 16:9 screen and love it. That's for movies only.

For TV, all the graphics are built for much smaller screens, so I sit 17' back and it works great.

You 4K guys can sit way closer based just on the angular resolution of your eyes, but that's only one of the variables and I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

I think for more casual tv viewing and conversation with a direct view TV the kind of distances people are talking about (approx 12 ft.) for a 75" 4K TV will be just awesomely spectacular.

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 07-27-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I have not yet wall mounted our Sony XBR75940D - 75" full array backlit, 4K. It's on a stand in our theater room, and we sit 8 feet from it. I have been in no hurry to finish the wall mount because we are enjoying it as is.
We have now wall mounted the Sony in another room where our main seating distance is about 14 and 1/2 feet. I have to say I miss the immediacy of the other room. I installed a home theater in part for the experience of the big screen at home. At 8 feet I was much closer to that immediacy than I am now. At about 8 feet, the Sony could be a primary viewing experience. Now it's decidedly secondary for basically casual viewing.

A downside is that now that my theater room is back into its original state, I like it's 106" screen (138" for widescreen movies), but I miss the impact of the 4K TV. It's important to remember that correct 4K isn't just about resolution. It's also High Dynamic Range (HDR) and expanded color palette. It's taking an adjustment period to return to the 1080p experience.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:04 PM

A 75 inch it is...enjoying some night viewing

Attachment 47725

Last edited by JemHadar; 11-03-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteban View Post
Wish that were true, but I sincerely doubt the TV can be dimmed on a per-single-pixel basis. I'll believe that when I see it! 😀 No LCD can do that. Still, I am sure it will be a great TV, but at those prices I would go with an Oled. I am personally waiting on a Panasonic Oled set before I upgrade my beloved 65VT60.
I love my 65VT50. One of the best panels, next to Kuro, ever! I used to baby it for burn in avoidance, but now I'm just learning to love it and not worry since I know there is an OLED in my future.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 10-08-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
Jacques,

I have a Sony XBR70X850B 70" 4K unit and a viewing distance, from my head position to the screen face, of 12 feet. I suffer from no ill effects, nausea or vision issues such as losing contextual continuity, i.e., eyes darting around and not focusing on the screen.

I do admit it took a little while to get used to the larger visual presence of the unit. However, the acclimation period was not long and I am happy I purchased a monitor of that size.
I have the same set and sit about 10.5 ft away. Picture is great and no issues. I agree with the comments bigger is better especially at greater viewing distances.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem666 View Post
Apparently the new Z series is an OLED killer... A dimmable LED per pixel, more nits and no risk of burn in or color fade.
I used to lust over OLED. That was until I saw the Sony 75X9400C late last year. It cremes all other LCD and beats OLED for daytime viewing. Looks awesome at night as well and sports are a dream with no lag.
My beloved Pioneer Kuro is well and truly replaced and beaten.

25k for an OLED - way too much money- unless you are loaded.

The new Z series will be absolutely awesome and nowhere near 25k

Go for it. 4m is fine for viewing distance.

Last edited by turntable; 10-09-2016 at 05:33 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
I used to lust over OLED. That was until I saw the Sony 75X9400C late last year. It cremes all other LCD and beats OLED for daytime viewing. Looks awesome at night as well and sports are a dream with no lag. My beloved Pioneer Kuro is well and truly replaced and beaten. 25k for an OLED - what a joke and well overpriced ,frankly you do not need it - unless you are loaded. The new Z series will be absolutely awesome and nowhere near 25k Go for it. 4m is fine for viewing distance.
The Sony 75" inch ZD9 has arrived and meets all expectations.
The screen is a bit more reflective than my previous screen, but the black levels and color gradients are immaculate.