AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:39 PM

I think, for me, the best way to answer the OP's original way is the following.

If I take my best recording I have in Vinyl, best recording in SACD, best recording in redbook, and then the best recording via Tidal, Vinyl wins hands down. There simply isn't anything that comes close, IMO. When i listen to some of my really good pressings, it feels so real that I get chills down my spine. The in-room presence is uncanny and realism almost scary.

Next is SACD, damn good.

I find redbook and Tidal, almost always, to be very very similar.
Nordost Odin 2 cabling
Clearaudio Master Innovation with Goldfinger cartridge
Esoteric E03 phono
Esoteric D02X
Esoteric P02X
Aurender W20
HRS SXR-Signature 4V X 2 rack
Incoming: Magico Q15 subs (2)
Old 06-21-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno2009 View Post
... I‘m in Germany - so I could theoretically use Qoboz already - no integration into Roon yet though. Nice if it comes...

... but why shouldn’t Qoboz share the same destiny as Tidal (given the Rumors are actually true)?
It could, I have no crystal ball.

Just a couple comments why Qobuz has a better offering right now for me.

1) When you are a Sublime or Sublime+ subscriber you can purchase any content you want permanently for your collection at a very nice discounted price. I try and buy.
2) Metadata, Qobuz has much richer content for the music lover to peruse. Allot of albums have nice pamphlets similar to Vinyl.
3) Better apps. The Tidal app was brutal.
4) Real high res and no Bob fee involved.
5) Great Jazz selection.

They've almost failed twice now I believe, I hope they have finally learned from their mistakes. The company that owns them now is sound and the new CEO is top notch.

If you are in Germany and getting into digital streaming, you should give it a try.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tone View Post
It could, I have no crystal ball.

Just a couple comments why Qobuz has a better offering right now for me.

1) When you are a Sublime or Sublime+ subscriber you can purchase any content you want permanently for your collection at a very nice discounted price. I try and buy.

2) Metadata, Qobuz has much richer content for the music lover to peruse. Allot of albums have nice pamphlets similar to Vinyl.

3) Better apps. The Tidal app was brutal.

4) Real high res and no Bob fee involved.

5) Great Jazz selection.

They've almost failed twice now I believe, I hope they have finally learned from their mistakes. The company that owns them now is sound and the new CEO is top notch.

If you are in Germany and getting into digital streaming, you should give it a try.

Sounds good - SQ is also supposed to be superior... dealbreaker for me is that it can‘t be integrated into Roon at the time...

Suppose if it does go World Wide and Roon integrates it, it really could be the final blow for Tidal...
Old 06-22-2018, 01:29 AM

Quote:
... dealbreaker for me is that it can‘t be integrated into Roon at the time...

Or you could look at it the other way: no Qobuz integration could be a deal-breaker for Roon.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 06-22-2018, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Or you could look at it the other way: no Qobuz integration could be a deal-breaker for Roon.

What I meant was „for me“ - if I could integrate it to Roon I would probably consider it (very strongly).

I actually think that Roon is a lot more independent than most streaming services, as they simply sell a product, reach a wider range of customers (still growing) and don‘t have to battle a huge amount of business competitors.

It’s actually the combination of a streaming service and the software Roon provides that completely convinced me that streaming can have „heart and soul“ and is now a consistent part of my listening.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmd2010 View Post
I think, for me, the best way to answer the OP's original way is the following.

If I take my best recording I have in Vinyl, best recording in SACD, best recording in redbook, and then the best recording via Tidal, Vinyl wins hands down. There simply isn't anything that comes close, IMO. When i listen to some of my really good pressings, it feels so real that I get chills down my spine. The in-room presence is uncanny and realism almost scary.

Next is SACD, damn good.

I find redbook and Tidal, almost always, to be very very similar.

Same here - although I don‘t use SACD.

It was all Vinyl and CD for me.

Good pressing Vinyl is still way ahead. But streaming has proven to be a great alternative for CDs - and yes, it did take me a while to accept this.

I am now at a point where I consider ripping all CDs to a NAS and then go with two sources only - Vinyl and Streaming.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:51 AM

… so now that you have convinced me of streaming via Tidal (or other services) and the SQ after all (at least in comparison to CD/Reebook)… next I am trying to figure out the business about ripping CDs.

I get the advantage of streaming - in my case especially for albums that don‘t get a proper vinyl release (yes, Tidal will probably replace future CD purchases - Vinyl will stay my fav source). But what I don‘t get is why one would pay extra money to buy a decent NAS, take months to rip existing CDs to make a copy and then play the ripped files from the NAS via streamer when you own the CDs in original and have a decent CD Transport/Player.

Maybe someone can point out the benefits (other than not having to physically load a CD - which I actually even enjoy).
Old 06-23-2018, 06:22 AM

Christoph-

For me, it's about the convenience and ripping ability from borrowed CD's. My laptop with a recently installed 2tb ssd is a simple, self contained, dedicated solution for listening to music. Depending on the recording and situation, the SQ is at least close to the original CD. All rips are in the AIFF format; no hi-rez or mqa downloads. So, actual mileage may well vary especially when the system dependent thing is factored into the equation.

All that said, I am still not ready to sell my spinner or pack the CD's in the attic but that may well happen. And I love a good vinyl pressing!
Old 06-23-2018, 07:44 AM

Default Comparing digital files/sources to each other and to vinyl...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
Christoph-

For me, it's about the convenience and ripping ability from borrowed CD's. My laptop with a recently installed 2tb ssd is a simple, self contained, dedicated solution for listening to music. Depending on the recording and situation, the SQ is at least close to the original CD. All rips are in the AIFF format; no hi-rez or mqa downloads. So, actual mileage may well vary especially when the system dependent thing is factored into the equation.

All that said, I am still not ready to sell my spinner or pack the CD's in the attic but that may well happen. And I love a good vinyl pressing!

Hi - I get it, but „is“ it really convenient to spend money on a NAS and months of time ripping CDs (money and time you could spend just as well on buying music and listening to music).

Especially as any CD you rip is probably available from Tidal anyways?

So if the discussion is (and these are actually my findings also) that Tidal is equal to or very close to Redbook / CD and you have the original CD with a CDP anyways - why the additional rip? I would either play the CD or the Tidal file.

For me Vinyl is out of the equation - as SQ is way ahead (given a decent pressing and mastering).

As for digital - I tend to keep my CD Transport and CDs for existing stuff and reduce future invests to Vinyl only - so for past it‘s Vinyl first, followed by CDs via CD Transport/DAC, for future releases it‘s Vinyl first, followed by Tidal/Roon…

This seems to be the convenient & logical way for me…

… don‘t see/understand the need to rip.

Last edited by bruno2009; 06-23-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Especially as any CD you rip is probably available from Tidal anyways?
That's the problem with Tidal and other streaming services more often then not they have the brick wall compressed remaster. This is one of the main reason's I don't stream much from online providers and have ripped my massive CD collection, I have better masters.