AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 06-21-2018, 11:15 PM

Default Looking for advice.

I have 2 questions for the experts.

1) I have a pair of MC60 monoblocks getting redone locally. I have a nice set of platforms that have a thin layer of cork on top. Has anyone found any sort of feet to attach to these amps, or trim for the edges, or support blocks underneath? Or just place the amps straight on the platforms?

audiophilevibrationcontrol.com/product/hardwood-edge-platforms

2) I am looking to upgrade my pre-amp, and lower my box count. I am currently considering the Vinnie Rossi LIO, DHT, and both the C22 and C2600, although I am unsure of the DAC in the 2600, compared to my current microRendu+BDA-3. If I got the C22, I could splurge with a Lumin or similar. Open to opinions.

Thanks, in advance.

Last edited by jdandy; 06-21-2018 at 11:52 PM. Reason: active links to retail websites against forum rules
Old 06-22-2018, 07:27 AM

Michael-

You are most likely to get many opinions on your questions. Here are mine.

1. A solid platform, securely anchored under components is a good point of departure. Think butcher block cutting boards. Amazon has some great maple boards. As far as additional vibration control, many options. The best value are 2 x 2 vibration pads available from a place like Supply House on Long Island. They are about $.27 each. A box of 48 with shipping will run about $25. Larger sizes also available and no need to buy large quantities. I did try some expensive audiophile vibration control devices and found they made no difference.

2. The DAC in the 2600 supposedly is there same as the D150. I have not heard a c22 so really cannot comment but again supposedly pretty similar to the 2600. Why not get your amps in place, listen for a while and then pursue the pre-amp / DAC?
Old 06-22-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
Michael-

You are most likely to get many opinions on your questions. Here are mine.

1. A solid platform, securely anchored under components is a good point of departure. Think butcher block cutting boards. Amazon has some great maple boards. As far as additional vibration control, many options. The best value are 2 x 2 vibration pads available from a place like Supply House on Long Island. They are about $.27 each. A box of 48 with shipping will run about $25. Larger sizes also available and no need to buy large quantities. I did try some expensive audiophile vibration control devices and found they made no difference.

2. The DAC in the 2600 supposedly is there same as the D150. I have not heard a c22 so really cannot comment but again supposedly pretty similar to the 2600. Why not get your amps in place, listen for a while and then pursue the pre-amp / DAC?
Thanks for the perspective. I anticipate wildly disparate views, and opinions from these rather open ended questions.

I have the platforms (mahogany edged) at home already, with some McIntosh stickers applied already. I do have an Amazon sourced butcher block mounted on my wall on brackets for my turntable.

If the repair guy ever gets the other half of the capacitors that he ordered, he can get my amps done, and back to me. I do plan to get my amps back, and playing before making a move from where I am now. Just doing some thinking, and asking for opinions of others. I have no audio stores local, except Best Buy. Atlanta is 5 hours. There is a McIntosh dealer in New Orleans, about 2 hours away. The guy there says that the C22 is still able to be ordered from the factory.

I keep reading about difficulties with the DAC in the C52/C2600, particularly with not working with linux based music servers/microRendu.

Thanks again for the response.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones13 View Post
I keep reading about difficulties with the DAC in the C52/C2600, particularly with not working with linux based music servers/microRendu.
Hi Michael...I emailed Chuck Hinton at McIntosh yesterday about the DACs freezing up in the c2500/c2600. Please see his response below.

I haven't tried this yet but plan to do so over the weekend.

"Try a cheap USB (2.0 high speed) cable. We have seen many “fancy” USB cables cause problems because the cable maker ‘improved’ the USB cable."

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:04 PM

I don't think it's a "cheap-vs-fancy" USB cable problem, to be honest. I had similar issues with the DAC in the MAC6700 not playing nice with the microRendu & ultraRendu via USB. Wrote to McIntosh about it a while ago and they got back to me saying that only Windows/Mac should be used as source for USB. I managed to work around the problem by introducing a 0.1 ms delay in Roon so that the Mc's DAC had time to switch bitrates when requested.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saru View Post
I don't think it's a "cheap-vs-fancy" USB cable problem, to be honest. I had similar issues with the DAC in the MAC6700 not playing nice with the microRendu & ultraRendu via USB. Wrote to McIntosh about it a while ago and they got back to me saying that only Windows/Mac should be used as source for USB. I managed to work around the problem by introducing a 0.1 ms delay in Roon so that the Mc's DAC had time to switch bitrates when requested.
So there are still issues with servers not based on Windows or OSX.

Thanks.

Is anyone using a Lumin U1 with the C2600 or C52? Good? Same problem?
Old 06-23-2018, 09:55 AM

Greetings Bones13 -

I recently went through the process of considering a current C22 vs. C47 vs. C2600. I already owned a MC152 and MT450 and had sold my D150 to a friend. For a variety of reasons I wanted a regular preamp.

I feel the C22 has a lot of good strong points but it would require some sort of external DAC or source (adding a box). In my case I needed something from McIntosh as I rely on the DIN connection for SACD playback and have found it to be quite a good connection despite the lack of aftermarket cables.

I ended up with the C47 and have been very happy with it but do wonder if I should just have purchased the D1100. I thought I was going to add some analog stuff but most likely not but it is always an option with any of the "C" preamps. Also, I would not worry about McIntosh's choice to not support MQA. At this time I do not feel I is really going to be anything more that the audio press and forums to argue about. Ask the random person about it on the street an they will no nothing about it.

A note on DACs in general. I have owned a variety and have found what is built into the current Mac preamps covers all the bases for me. As fo USB, I do not use it at this time but find the comments about USB cables from Chuck at McIntosh interesting and there could be something to it. Just look at all the posts across a wide variety of forums complaining about USB issues and all the tools they are using to "improve" USB. Perhaps consider another path. For streaming I am considering the new MS500 as it has built in interfaces to most of the major streaming providers built in. External USB3 and NAS drives also supported. So it seems like it checks all the boxes for my needs.

I have come to appreciate being in the Mac family and using the suite of products has a certain synergy that is working for me. Wanting to cure my audiophile nervosa and the current rig is helping.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by med_designer View Post
Greetings Bones13 -

I recently went through the process of considering a current C22 vs. C47 vs. C2600. I already owned a MC152 and MT450 and had sold my D150 to a friend. For a variety of reasons I wanted a regular preamp.

I feel the C22 has a lot of good strong points but it would require some sort of external DAC or source (adding a box). In my case I needed something from McIntosh as I rely on the DIN connection for SACD playback and have found it to be quite a good connection despite the lack of aftermarket cables.

I ended up with the C47 and have been very happy with it but do wonder if I should just have purchased the D1100. I thought I was going to add some analog stuff but most likely not but it is always an option with any of the "C" preamps. Also, I would not worry about McIntosh's choice to not support MQA. At this time I do not feel I is really going to be anything more that the audio press and forums to argue about. Ask the random person about it on the street an they will no nothing about it.

A note on DACs in general. I have owned a variety and have found what is built into the current Mac preamps covers all the bases for me. As fo USB, I do not use it at this time but find the comments about USB cables from Chuck at McIntosh interesting and there could be something to it. Just look at all the posts across a wide variety of forums complaining about USB issues and all the tools they are using to "improve" USB. Perhaps consider another path. For streaming I am considering the new MS500 as it has built in interfaces to most of the major streaming providers built in. External USB3 and NAS drives also supported. So it seems like it checks all the boxes for my needs.

I have come to appreciate being in the Mac family and using the suite of products has a certain synergy that is working for me. Wanting to cure my audiophile nervosa and the current rig is helping.
Thanks for your comments. I equally favor digital music, and vinyl. Depends on the mood. I also pipe in my video sources with Toslink. DACs are like cars, they tend to get upgraded every year. Best to pick one you like the sound of and stick with it.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:17 AM

Having owned a C 2500 for about 4 years, there were initial problems with the USB locking up the DAC. No problem was ever experienced when using just the Toslink or COAX inputs. The USB problems now seem to be solved. I feel the correction is attributed to:

1. upgrade of firmware to 1.03
2. changing from a 5 meter Belkin Gold cable to a 1 meter Straight Wyre (the one sold at the SchiitR for $20). Nothing super fancy!
3. an upgrade to Mac OS 10 last fall that had "better compatibility with third party audio devices improved" as one of the improvements.

Music is played though Amarra 4.0 luxe. When changing from USB to Toslink output on the computer, as per Amarra's suggestion:
Stop music/switch output in Amarra's device settings/change DAC input and hit play. Just going into device settings and changing the output for a fast A-B, will most certainly lock-up the DAC.

As far as cheap USB cables vs better cables, there have been documented problems of fancy cables not working properly with various set-ups. This was due to the fancy cable not being USB 2.0 compliant. So compliancy as well as length are factors. Also, some folks using devices in the USB chain to re-clock etc have found these devices interfere with DAC recognition. If trying, be sure that there is a return policy. Personally, I did try one such devise and ultimately returned it. It did very little and mostly nothing; some music was actually degraded.

Last edited by John Jordan; 06-25-2018 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Proof-Read
Old 06-25-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
Having owned a C 2500 for about 4 years, there were initial problems with the USB locking up the DAC. No problem was ever experienced when using just the Toslink or COAX inputs. The USB problems now seem to be solved. I feel the correction is attributed to:

1. upgrade of firmware to 1.03
2. changing from a 5 meter Belkin Gold cable to a 1 meter Straight Wyre (the one sold at the SchiitR for $20). Nothing super fancy!
3. an upgrade to Mac OS 10 last fall that had "better compatibility with third party audio devices improved" as one of the improvements.

Music is played though Amarra 4.0 luxe. When changing from USB to Toslink output on the computer, as per Amarra's suggestion:
Stop music/switch output in Amarra's device settings/change DAC input and hit play. Just going into device settings and changing the output for a fast A-B, will most certainly lock-up the DAC.

As far as cheap USB cables vs better cables, there have been documented problems of fancy cables not working properly with various set-ups. This was due to the fancy cable not being USB 2.0 compliant. So compliancy as well as length are factors. Also, some folks using devices in the USB chain to re-clock etc have found these devices interfere with DAC recognition. If trying, be sure that there is a return policy. Personally, I did try one such devise and ultimately returned it. It did very little and mostly nothing; some music was actually degraded.

Thanks for the experienced info John!