AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 05-31-2017, 12:08 AM

Default S1200 u 3 d software upgrade too !

Same problems here with Audio HDMI issues ( sound locks in 3 secs but only on HDMI connections / optical or coax is fine )
Did the new software work for you Allan ?
I would appreciate a copy if possible so that I may try it as well.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:20 PM

Hey Dan -- I'm doing it this weekend. I had to get a lot of hardware out of the way and cables mapped out first before getting too deep into this one. Plus reading up on the specifics of cable type (null/straight through DB9) and then getting my old laptop with a serial interface that I keep for just this one purpose ready. I'll post more about the specific issues and whether or not it fixed them - I am optimistic though.

@DIGIHIFI -- Some friendly advice: You should get the FW from Krell via a Krell dealer. They need to know your serial number, EEPROM version and FW version. I've heard of people "bricking" their units by putting a FW meant for a different unit. You will need to know how to use serial db9 connections as an update interface. I've done this a few hundred times on various devices, so I'm comfortable doing this and have the gear to do it. It's not a simple update like putting FW on a USB stick and selecting "update" via the settings menu (there aren't any USB connections on the S1200U 3D anyway).

Also, would you mind explaining in further detail what's wrong with your unit? You said it locks on in 3 seconds -- that's about normal for the unit - it's not crazy-fast in locking in on multichannel audio. What steps have you taken to troubleshoot your issue? It might be something else that can be fixed without the risk. -- There's always a risk when updating FW on non-volatile EEPROM's. You have to ask yourself if the risk is worth the fix and be sure that it's not something like a HDMI cable behaving badly or something about your source device. Just saying, I don't take flashing FW lightly and it's a last resort kinda thing.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:10 PM

Default Successfully Upgraded Firmware

Thanks once again Ivan! I'm thrilled you were able to help!

The update worked and it resolved the issue I was having, HDMI would not handshake sometimes, and the audio would drop to stereo for some 5.1 sources. The cable required is a DB9 pinout to RS232 spec cable. I would not try doing this using a USB adapter to RS232; I've heard of this being a source of failures. It's a pretty standard connection for A/V gear -- my old Anthem D2V used the exact same cable to do ARC. It's hard to say what else was fixed since I was on a version over 2 years old. I'm sure someone at Krell has a changelog from 1.6 all the way to 2.0G, but that might be asking a bit too much -- besides, I'm happy so there's that.

FWIW, the S1200U has been the ultimate best pre/pro I've ever owned, and I've had just about everything (except Datasat). The S1200U sounds incredible, has the ability to create custom processing for every channel (EQ/DSP functions), and just the right amount of flexibility. Sure it doesn't have automatic room correction functionality, but it does give you the ability to do that manually if you have the appropriate gear and microphones. My only complaint is that it's a true Class-A unit and even in standby throws off a lot of heat. But I'm OK with that.

For a 5 year old unit, it's managed to stay in the game. It can upscale all sources (no 4K of course), process most everything (except Atmos); it does DTS-HD MA, etc. It is the best sounding pre/pro I've owned. Shame Krell made the changes they did the last few years. Their new gear doesn't do it for me. I'd love to hear if anyone has the Foundation processor and their thoughts.

This one is of the display on boot:

This is the OSD when something's playing:
Old 06-18-2017, 12:15 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Bryan... outstanding!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 06-23-2017, 11:24 AM

I'm a little late to this conversation, but I agree with Bryan that you need to get the firmware directly from Krell. In addition to EEPROM version and firmware version, there are actually a couple of different DSP boards used in the S1200U 3D (due to the CS497004 DSP chip discontinued and replaced with CS497024). The firmware is a little different for each of these versions. Krell knows exactly what you have based on serial number. This is not like the old days, such as the HTS 7.1 where the firmware could be shared around.

The latest 2.0G version (changed from 1.9G) was actually due to a bug I found in February and was quickly fixed by Krell. This bug actually affected the sound quality of most bluray movies. Essentially, when playing DTS-MA bluray movies through HDMI and having the Krell do the DTS decoding, it was applying dynamic range compression even though DYNAMIC RANGE was set to MAX / OFF in the menu. This is when the Krell display shows "DTS-HD MSTR". I found this bug when I discovered that the digital coax input actually sounded better than HDMI when playing DTS-MA bluray movies. The HDMI input just didn't have as much volume and impact/explosiveness and there was hardly any bass. Much better with the 2.0G firmware upgrade!

I will echo Bryan's comments that the Krell is the best sounding processor out there. It's unfortunate that it is discontinued. I guess the consumer market leans towards 4K, room correction, atmos, etc., instead of focusing on sound quality. I think this may be the last best processor of this generation.

The reason that the unit stays hot is that Krell keeps voltage on the main power supply section even in standby. Since it's a shunt regulated power supply (as opposed to normal 78xx/79xx regulated), the power supply itself operates in somewhat of a Class A mode and constantly passes voltage across the power supply transistors, which causes heat in the case. This keeps the power supply "warm" and ready to go. It can also cause the electrolytic capacitors to age and dry out over time. If you want to prevent this, just turn off the master switch on the back of the unit when you're not using it.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:15 AM

Hi Masterlu . I own S1200 for last few years. I have experienced the same issues mentioned by other users, as :

- unstable audio (cannot lock onto audio or audio with beeps/clicks) when decoding compressed DD/DTS using "HDMI A" mode. This can be worked around by setting up another input that uses "HDMI S" mode. "HDMI A" mode must be used when decoding DTS-HD or TrueHD bluray sound.

-DTS-HD MA 48k 5.1/7.1. The dynamic range compression is applied even though the menu settings indicate it is off

I did drop an email to service@krellonline, tech@krellonline few months ago, but still no answer from them.

I love my S1200 it sounds incredible, so I'm desperate to fix that issues.
I'm living in EU so sending my S1200 to US would be a problem. My goal is to try to do it myself. I'm IT engineer so updating the chip firmware is a bread and and butter for me. I hope i dont have to replace the DSP board, my S1200 warranty is already gone.
Are there any chances that you can help me to get "flashloader" + newer firmware.
Thanks for any help.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:45 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by maella View Post
Hi Masterlu . I own S1200 for last few years. I have experienced the same issues mentioned by other users, as :

- unstable audio (cannot lock onto audio or audio with beeps/clicks) when decoding compressed DD/DTS using "HDMI A" mode. This can be worked around by setting up another input that uses "HDMI S" mode. "HDMI A" mode must be used when decoding DTS-HD or TrueHD bluray sound.

-DTS-HD MA 48k 5.1/7.1. The dynamic range compression is applied even though the menu settings indicate it is off

I did drop an email to service@krellonline, tech@krellonline few months ago, but still no answer from them.

I love my S1200 it sounds incredible, so I'm desperate to fix that issues.
I'm living in EU so sending my S1200 to US would be a problem. My goal is to try to do it myself. I'm IT engineer so updating the chip firmware is a bread and and butter for me. I hope i dont have to replace the DSP board, my S1200 warranty is already gone.
Are there any chances that you can help me to get "flashloader" + newer firmware.
Thanks for any help.
Maella... I am a Krell dealer and can get it for you, however without you being a Subscriber you have no way to PM me your info.

For your convenience:

http://www.audioaficionado.org/payments.php
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 02-22-2018, 05:45 AM

Masterlu, thank you. Once i got back home next week, ill become a subscriber and PM you all the details necessary.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:20 AM

Sorry for pulling old tread but i'm the owner only from few months.
Mine is S-1200U 3D Version 2.0, but also have some problems to recognize HD- MSTR, in some times shows PCM or no sound, have to restart the sound few times and then works ok.
So the newest version for s-1200u 3D is 2.0G???
i found for S-1200u (without 3D) newest wersion is 4.3G
Old 02-15-2023, 06:16 AM

Sorry for reviving this old thread! Long-time lurker but new here on the forum. I have been running a Krell- & B&W-based home theatre in my living room for a number of years, all 15-20 year old gear, still sounding marvelous. Have been using the HTS 7.1 in analog, fed by an Oppo 203, so far, but will now upgrade to an S1200/3D I acquired.

The S1200/3D says it is on firmware 1.8, and from what I have read here, there would be newer firmware available. The newest version would also allow compatibility with the Krell 4K HDR switcher which may be in my future (using Oppo / HDFury AVR Key at the moment). Krell service, however, says my unit would have to be sent to them (from Europe) for the upgrade; but it seems to me they are confusing with the non-3D S1200, which predates my prepro.

Since reading the positive experiences in this thread, could anyone help me out with upgrading my S1200/3D?

Last edited by slashedzero; 02-15-2023 at 04:11 PM.