AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > News

News Local & Worldwide

Old 02-03-2014, 01:21 PM

I use Bose products for specific situations, mostly while travelling, or for news in the kitchen, or around the pool; and I find them to be good, even excellent at what they do.

They make profit, bravo; people are lucky with the products, what's the problem?

And as pointed, writing such a paper AFTER Amar Bose is dead makes me badly consider the writer.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 02-03-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma
I use Bose products for specific situations, mostly while travelling, or for news in the kitchen, or around the pool; and I find them to be good, even excellent at what they do.

They make profit, bravo; people are lucky with the products, what's the problem?

And as pointed, writing such a paper AFTER Amar Bose is dead makes me badly consider the writer.

Just my 2 cents!
I agree 100 % JM !
Old 02-03-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma View Post
.....writing such a paper AFTER Amar Bose is dead makes me badly consider the writer. Just my 2 cents!
I agree also, if nothing else, no matter what you think of the man or the company, it lacked class and respect for his family and friends.

Tony
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 02-03-2014, 03:06 PM

It seems that much criticism of Bose primarily stems from the disproportionate attention it receives from the general public, less due to with actual product merit (or lack of).

Last edited by 62caddy; 02-03-2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62caddy View Post
It seems that much criticism of Bose primarily stems from the disproportionate attention it receives from the general public, less due to with actual product merit (or lack of).
I agree with that and it's a mix of jealousy and resentment.

Manufacturers are having a hard time convincing buyers that their product is superior when people find Bose good enough. Audiophiles who have spent countless hours and money to perfect their systems feel insulted when they are compared to Bose.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Learning to Listen

This Bose bashing is always fun to read.

Yesterday I went to look at a second home that the seller proudly told me, "....and we even have a Bose surround sound system!" Sure enough, there it was, incorrectly positioned vis-a-vis the TV. But, hey! He was proud of it. I smiled.

As I've said in the past, my company did some work for the Dr. He was no marketing and sales dummy. That's all I'll say.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:58 AM

I'm somewhat divided in my reaction to MF's rebuttal, but only on the tone which I believe was a bit harsh and obviously quite personal. It would be interesting to read a Harvard Business Review case study on Bose as a "hi-end" audio company and marketing company. I believe some of what MF complained about on the money side would be validated but without the tone of a personal vendetta. I know people that still brag about their 901's they bought in college and have never felt compelled to buy another set of speakers. God bless them all, for they have probably wisely invested 10's of thousands of $$ that I have spent pursuing audio nirvana.

Michael probably should have let this sleeping dog lie, but then that wouldn't be the Michael we know so well.
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 04-27-2014, 10:40 AM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post
wisely invested 10's of thousands of $$ that I have spent pursuing audio nirvana.
Ha! Boy ain't that the truth. The upgrade merry go round can be a killer, but hey, that's part of the fun!
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 04-27-2014, 11:27 AM
George

I can respect a company that produces a solidly good product and does an outstanding job of marketing. IBM, comes to mind. If you looked at their design specs for early PCs, it was understandable why their specs seemed poor. Their first criteria was safety. However, a company that has spent decades of selling junk, by talking people into believing it is good, when in fact you could purchase nearly anything at the same price point that was better, is not business, it is unethical and should be a crime. I have been in business most of my life, I would never do something like that, or work for a company that did. Marketing used for pure deception is not business it is crime. Marketing to point out the benefits of real advantages is very legitimate. For most of Bose history they have been a snake oil company. You will never hear a good word for them out of me, or anyone in their organization, as far as I am concerned Bose was another Madeoff. In the last decade or so, their products, particularly their cheaper ones have been sounding better and better. So, while their mid and higher priced products may not be a good deal compared to another companies' equivalent, some of their headphones are considered good. So, it sounds like as Bose may have released his grip from the company they started making their products sound better... good for them.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 04-27-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:05 PM

For me, as with any gear, what sounds good to me is what I select.

Bose never did sound good to me and I reasoned that's because my ears were different from Mr. Bose's ears.

While I disagree with some of the business tactics employed, you can't argue with success.