AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-19-2016, 05:05 AM

I just hope if something went terribly wrong with the unit, McIntosh won't try to blame it on the customer and make me pay for the repairs of a less than 6 month old brand new machine.

How I see it, a brand new high end product bought from an authorized dealer should arrive to the customer with all its advertised functions in proper working order without any need for the owner to fuss with it.

And the instructions for the update process, Jesus H Christ!!! why in the world would it say (press ____button) and right after that it says, (don't press______button yet)
Ooooopss too late!!! Already did..... WTF were they thinking?!?!?! I could've wrote down better set of instructions for FREE.

And the worst part, the instructions don't tell you what to do if you pressed the button too soon. Now you're left hanging wondering if something's gonna blow!!! And If this forum did not exist, the unit would probably still be in brick mode and me staring at it as if it's gonna resolve auto-magically.....

Frustration would be an understatement at this point.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:20 AM

Sad to hear.

The USB lockup on the C2500 is not fixed by any firmware.
I think the problem relates to certain streamers, not all have had the issue.

Hopefully they will take good care of you.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:39 AM

I am sorry to hear the USB didn't work out.

I also had the same message that you had, but got lucky reinstalling drivers etc, and was able to force the update without following their procedure.

I think the IT that developed the software for the unit, at least left a "backdoor" that allows to read both firmware's automatically when the unit is not responding. (without having to follow all the stupid instructions, which I agree , are sort of wrong ).

The IT on myself always refuses to give up and just tried everything I knew or didn't even know until it worked out.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romavictor View Post
How I see it, a brand new high end product bought from an authorized dealer should arrive to the customer with all its advertised functions in proper working order without any need for the owner to fuss with it.
In an ideal world that would be the case. Truth be told, most if not all electronic systems or components are sent to market with known issues that have yet to be resolved. Hopefully, thinks the manufacturer, these aren't critical issues and issues that won't show up very often and can be corrected in short order via a firmware update, etc. If there's a hardware design flaw, that's another thing entirely.

Good luck!
Old 05-19-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
In an ideal world that would be the case. Truth be told, most if not all electronic systems or components are sent to market with known issues that have yet to be resolved. Hopefully, thinks the manufacturer, these aren't critical issues and issues that won't show up very often and can be corrected in short order via a firmware update, etc. If there's a hardware design flaw, that's another thing entirely. Good luck!
I'd understand if it's a 750$ Sony or Yamaha or Bose that has some flaws that needed an update for a fix. Multiply that by a factor of 10 along with the legendary name of McIntosh, customers should expect a well oiled machine right out of the box. Nothing less.

Regardless, solid customer service is what sets a good company apart from the bad ones. We shall find out soon enough.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I'd understand if it's a 750$ Sony or Yamaha or Bose that has some flaws that needed an update for a fix. Multiply that by a factor of 10 along with the legendary name of McIntosh, customers should expect a well oiled machine right out of the box. Nothing less. Regardless, solid customer service is what sets a good company apart from the bad ones. We shall find out soon enough.
I have no doubt Macintosh will make this right under warranty.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:16 PM

The sad part is even the lowest end of devices have no issues handshaking with USB inputs. When I started having these issues with my MA5200 I tested the source using a few travel speaker units, to rule out MAC or line issues, which worked flawlessly and both are around $200. Regardless, with your unit being NIB, I'd have it back to Mcintosh ASAP and let them deal with it.

C2500 | MC452 | MT10 | B&W 802 D2 | (2) Sub JL Fathom F112 | Mac Pro
Old 05-19-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity1 View Post
The sad part is even the lowest end of devices have no issues handshaking with USB inputs. When I started having these issues with my MA5200 I tested the source using a few travel speaker units, to rule out MAC or line issues, which worked flawlessly and both are around $200. Regardless, with your unit being NIB, I'd have it back to Mcintosh ASAP and let them deal with it.
Totally agree.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:

Totally agree.
I don't know if all the updating problems has been resolved or not but I am really surprised a company like Mcintosh could put on the market any equipment that make there customers struggling as you had given the fact the unit cost !!!

It is really strange.
I was so interested you buy this preamp but reading all what happened not only to but to many others make me think twice before I go further.
This is always marketing issue that make them put on the market a beautiful units that need many firm update without even taking the pain to include a friendly user and clear instructions to accomplish the requested upgrade that in the first place is there responsibility!!
Really strange
Old 06-03-2016, 01:35 AM

Don't get me wrong, it's a phenominal unit and since my update all is pretty much 100%. The only issues I have now are it stopping in the middle while streaming from Tidal once in a while but I can fix that by either restarting the Tidal app or the 2500, so it could very well be an issue with Tidal now but still no excuse when you can grab a $500 Yamaha and have it accept all USB sources flawlessly out of the box. Really hoping they get with the program ASAP.

C2500 | MC452 | MT10 | B&W 802 D2 | (2) Sub JL Fathom F112 | Mac Pro