AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Streaming & Television Shows

Streaming & Television Shows Netflix, Amazon, Cable & Network Series

Old 02-10-2019, 09:16 AM
Retired

Am wondering what folks are paying for high-speed internet when they cut the TV portion. Add that back to the cost of your streaming services and how much ahead are you? We have Comcast's 'triple-play' (land-line, high-speed internet & basic cable) for ~$150/mon. If we 'cut the cord' we will still need high-speed internet for $80. Won't take many of the streaming services to get right back up to the $150.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-10-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Am wondering what folks are paying for high-speed internet when they cut the TV portion. Add that back to the cost of your streaming services and how much ahead are you? We have Comcast's 'triple-play' (land-line, high-speed internet & basic cable) for ~$150/mon. If we 'cut the cord' we will still need high-speed internet for $80. Won't take many of the streaming services to get right back up to the $150.
agreed, that's where I'm at with Verizon / FIOS, been with them for 11 years, not one issue. Prior was 'ComCrap' , couldn't go six months without problems.

I see Dan's point though, they all rake you over the coals for the few channels that most of watch.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:17 AM

The high speed internet is the big one. We use to subscribe to Netflix for a month every few months. They didn't have enough content for us to have it all the time. We haven't done that in quite a while though. For phone we have used Ooma for as long as I can remember. You can't beat the price of free service after you buy the their unit. And the quality of sevice is great.

If you complain to Comcast, they will give you whatever deal they have going on. But they are way to expensive for what you get and they now have data usage limits. They are the only real game in town for high speed internet and know it. And that is the way you are treated.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:51 PM

ATT said it lost 359K direct tv subscribers the 4th quarter 2018..
thats a huge number, whoa
they better run some specials, lol
they also offer several TV streaming bundles
Old 02-10-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlebar View Post
ATT said it lost 359K direct tv subscribers the 4th quarter 2018..
thats a huge number, whoa
they better run some specials, lol
they also offer several TV streaming bundles
That makes sense because they had someone here the next morning after I made the deal with them. The installer also told me that they have not been busy for a while.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:40 PM

Ditto Dan, did the same thing, but like Ivan am on a basic Chart cable package that with the ISP is about $100 a month. Before separate Charter cable was 69+ Direct basic 2 receivers and no movies etc was $139 month.

So I saved 1/2.

The dish companies are a JOKE way way to much!
Old 02-10-2019, 01:56 PM

Congrats Dan! We live in a mountainous rural area where OTA is not possible and internet speeds are low. So we’ll have satellite for awhile at least. Kelly is the TV watcher, I’d be happy to ditch it tomorrow.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 02-10-2019, 02:08 PM

We have been with Directv for over 20 years now. Our bill is around $180 before adding in Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime and Hulu which to me is a real waste as we only have it for one stupid show. We have been watching Netflix programing more than Directv in the evening but I am not dropping DirectV as I enjoy watching college football and basketball plus NHL Hockey. When I add up the cost fo DirectV, Comcast internet, our cell phones, our landline, Hulu, Netflix, and Tidal. That is more than many pay on a car payment.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:55 PM
Member Extraordinaire

It's not just Directv, but a few of the cable companies have had significant increases starting in 2019. Last week there was an article in one of South Florida's newspaper about the increases and cutting the cord.

Good for you Dan.

Amp: MC1.2KW x 2, MC602, MC2300
Preamp: C52, MX136, C34V
Digital Source: Oppo BDP 105, Pioneer 47Ai, CAL MkII
Analog Source: MT10, Technics RS 1700
Speakers: VMPS Super Tower lll
Subwoofer: JL Audio F113
Power Cables: Wireworld Platinum Electra 7
Speaker Cables: Straightwire Serenade ll
Signal Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7
Power Isolation: RGP 1200C
Rack: Adona Eris 9TW modified to Eris 12TW

Amp: Yamaha RX Z9
Digital Source: Pioneer BDP 94HD, Oppo UDP-205
Front Speakers: Monitor Audio
Center Speaker: B&W CC6
Rear Speakers: B&W DM 602
Surround Speakers: B&W DM 602
Subwoofer: Velodyne SPL 12BV
Television: Samsung 75 inch 4K Q90R
Old 02-10-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
My DirecTV service finally reached a price where I am no longer willing to be a subscriber, so today I canceled my DirecTV satellite service. I have subscribed to satellite television on my property since 1990 when the rural satellite provider here was Pegasus Satellite. DirecTV bought them out in 1996, and AT&T bought DirecTV last year. My satellite television bill was under $50.00 a month for years, then gradually began to creep upward with DirecTV. When AT&T bought DirecTV they immediately introduced price increases, and have since raised their monthly subscription twice again, once in December of last year, and again at the end of January of this year. My most recent bill was $161.18 for a month's satellite service. That is $1,934.16 a year. Nearly $2K a year for TV is ridiculous in my opinion, particularly since I am only interested in less than 10 channels of the 280 channels my plan includes. I got to thinking about it today and decided I just don't need any of their programming, so it's bye-bye, adios, arrivederci, au revoir, sayonara, and adieu to DirecTV.

I currently subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, and Prime for a grand total of $38.00 a month. That's all the television I'll ever need, especially since I am not a TV person to begin with. I can always install a digital antenna to receive the local television broadcasts out of Gainesville and Tallahassee, Florida, and Valdosta, Georgia if I wish to receive their channels. All those signals are broadcast in high definition over the air for free. My local weather and weather radar comes to me via the Internet, as does current events and world news. Screw AT&T DirecTV. They have lost a 29 year satellite television customer by pricing their product beyond its value to me.
Dan, who is your Internet Provider now?