AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 09-25-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
nycjazz.......All I know at this time is what McIntosh has printed in the MCD550 brochure.

"Quad Balanced, low distortion, 32 bit, 192kHz PCM/DSD digital to analog conversion using four DAC's per channel delivers the very finest audio quality."
For some reason they never print the dac info. I know its only a factor, but inquiring minds want to know. I'd love to hear impressions of it going up against the 1100 since there has been so much advancement in digital playback since their last release of a stand alone player...
Old 09-25-2013, 11:28 PM

If I didn't have a MCD500 + D100, this would be high on my list of gear to audition. The only drawback is I can't play the one SACD I have without using the analog outs on the MCD500.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
nycjazz.......All I know at this time is what McIntosh has printed in the MCD550 brochure. "Quad Balanced, low distortion, 32 bit, 192kHz PCM/DSD digital to analog conversion using four DAC's per channel delivers the very finest audio quality."
Quad balanced should mean ESS. If so that would narrow it down to any six of the nine DACs listed on the ESS site. Getting DAC info out of Mc is like getting Congress to pass a budget.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:33 AM

I do fondly miss the days Ron Cornelius was actively involved in this forum. He would be able to answer this.

The mcd550 utilizes 9016.

It will accept dsd over USB. Expect PCM output.

It's got a new tray. It's thicker than the mcd500 & mcd1100's tray.

Chassis looks like mcd1100. With the inverted stainless steel chassis bottom half.

The rest you can find on the website.

No new MCD1100. The mcd550 was designed somewhat after the mcd1100. Why not.

It has no top glass panel with no block diagrams FYI.

This unit is designed to be better than CD players around this price range and up, delivering great value/performance than ever before.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 09-26-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enit View Post
I do fondly miss the days Ron Cornelius was actively involved in this forum. He would be able to answer this. The mcd550 utilizes 9016. It will accept dsd over USB. Expect PCM output. It's got a new tray. It's thicker than the mcd500 & mcd1100's tray. Chassis looks like mcd1100. With the inverted stainless steel chassis bottom half. The rest you can find on the website. No new MCD1100. The mcd550 was designed somewhat after the mcd1100. Why not. It has no top glass panel with no block diagrams FYI. This unit is designed to be better than CD players around this price range and up, delivering great value/performance than ever before. Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Enit....I'm a bit confused about the SACD multi-ch disc-layer playback choice but no output for this, not even on the digital side? Why would you down mix then, when the 2-ch track is there? Seems like a redundant feature of a design element that may have been pulled from the MVP891?

Last edited by MyPal; 09-26-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:11 AM

I am sure the MD550 will be a great sounding CDP . I personally think the MCD500 casing with the glass top and side panels looks to be a higher build quality. I am curious if Mcintosh is still using saber dacs in the new model ?
Old 09-26-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Enit....I'm a bit confused about the SACD multi-ch disc-layer playback choice but no output for this, not even on the digital side? Why would you down mix then, when the 2-ch track is there? Seems like a redundant feature of a design element that may have been pulled from the MVP891?
Steve, I'm not sure if I understand your question enough to answer it well.

Just like all McIntosh CD players at this point, all output 2-ch. it will read and play SACDs for 2 ch output.

Mvp891 can do multi-channel output for SACD.

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
I am sure the MD550 will be a great sounding CDP . I personally think the MCD500 casing with the glass top and side panels looks to be a higher build quality. I am curious if Mcintosh is still using saber dacs in the new model ?
Yes they are.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enit View Post
Steve, I'm not sure if I understand your question enough to answer it well. Just like all McIntosh CD players at this point, all output 2-ch. it will read and play SACDs for 2 ch output. Mvp891 can do multi-channel output for SACD. Thanks. Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Enit...What I was trying to understand is the the 550 can also read the the multi-ch SACD layer & it's display will show that it is decoding the multi channels. Why would McIntosh choose to provision the decoding of that layer in it's transport when it cannot do anything with it except down mix it to 2 channel? To me, it seems like more of a functional artefact inherited from another product's component design. Eg. MVP891. The end result is a redundant feature because there is no analogue or digital mult-ch output. In fact, the digital output is not even down mixed, it is muted entirely according to the documentation! It doesn't make sense.

Last edited by MyPal; 09-26-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:06 AM

I think the K03 does the same thing on the mutli layer, and read and process, but you still only have 2 outs. I called a support tech at Esoteric and it was explaing to me that even though the feature is available to read the multi layer it goes no where

I have always wondered why the only way you see a player that supports the 5.1 is with rca outs or hdmi on multi type blu-ray machines.

Why not add the 5 xlrs to these expensive decks to let those that want the entire mutli layer format on a superior deck and not just pure 2 ch sound?