AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 07-09-2013, 07:05 PM

Very nice clean piece, congrats ! Amazing find
Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 PM

I bought my MC225 from Audio Classics 2.5 years ago and I have every expectation that it will be the last amp that I ever own. One other positive about this amp is that the Electro Harmonix 7591 is cheap and plentiful and sounds great (I felt the sound improved compared to the RCA 7591s that were in it). For tube rolling the 12AX7 is the most important tube and to my ears nothing beats Telefunken in that spot.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucumber_Jones

I know audio classics will fix it. But will mcintosh fix it? Also will mcintosh sell you NOS tubes for this amp?

I ask because these were issues for you in regards to Shindo. If there were such big issues with Shindo then they would be concerns for you regarding used MC gear as well.
I do not care if it is Shindo or an affiliated tech via the distribution network who repairs a Shindo component. The discussion was about a Shindo bought used in a private sale.
I do not know if McIntosh repairs very old pieces like this one : it is more than 50 years old.
For NOS tubes, the debate is very different : the 225 was not sold with rare "NOS" tubes at this time but with tubes that were available. I do not expect to find the exact same tubes used 50 years ago.
Shindo sells gear built around rare NOS tubes TODAY. A very different situation.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 07-13-2013, 08:10 PM

Listening to my 225 right now. New Merrill built AR through MX110, MC225 and Bozaks. Nice.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
A few bits of information about the MC225 . It's rated power is 25 watts per channel or 50 watts mono. Frequency response is 18 to 30kHz (+0 -0.1dB). Distortion is rated at 0.5% and hum and noise is -90dB. The original power tubes were labeled McIntosh but were manufactured by Sylvania. The tube compliment for the MC225 is four 7591 power tubes, one 12AX7, two 12AU7, and two 12BH7 tubes. The amplifier draws 400 watts at 117 volts for full rated output. The MC225 weighs 37 pounds. There were 5591 units sold between June 1961 and August 1967. The last new retail price was $198.00.

I remember it well. It drove my father's Bozak Concert Grands without difficulty.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:19 PM

Look forward to hearing your thoughts of it. Mine has a good story, bought it as part of a whole system from the original owner, and it's sounds and looks are great.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:00 PM

Default Vintage MA5100

I am thinking of purchasing a MA5100 to go with my MR71. Have no idea how it will sound and so I could use your help in deciding to go ahead or not with a purchase. Hopefully it will have clean warm sound?

Bill
Old 08-28-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushPilot View Post
I am thinking of purchasing a MA5100 to go with my MR71. Have no idea how it will sound and so I could use your help in deciding to go ahead or not with a purchase. Hopefully it will have clean warm sound?

Bill
Bill,
I love my MA5100. Not sure if I would qualify its sound as "clean". The 225 is probably much cleaner.
Anyway the 5100 is extremely musical. It makes clearly Music with the capital M !
Old 08-28-2013, 04:18 PM

My 225 is here and connected to the Rega RS10 speakers.
I understand now why some people consider it as the best amplifier ever made by Mc. It is very special indeed. Super sweet and super transparent and refined. For the very first time, I can say that I'm hearing a McIntosh probably as good as my Shindo amps. And this comes from a former 275, 501 and 2301 owner. More to come when I will have more experience with it.
Special thanks to my friend Mike at Audio Classics. Mike, I want an other one like that !!!!!

Old 08-28-2013, 04:27 PM

Jerome,
I don't want to tell you that I also liked the 225's better than the MC275's, I only wish that Mac would build this one again in its current form. Not enough of them to go around!
Mike