AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Old 10-18-2019, 07:16 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Still-One,

Thanks. Yes, two different dealers and both are really good. If I could I'd do business with both. One though is closer to home - 7 miles, the other a few hours away (but has a much larger and nicer assortment of high end gear). So, both are good in their own right. The one near home - Mc / ML - says if anything goes wrong they come to the house, pack it, ship, repair it, and then put it back into my system - all FREE - for the first 5 years.

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:50 AM

I have 13A’s now, they do take work to get the best from them. I’m considering trading them for a cone and dome speaker but haven’t pulled the trigger on anything yet.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:11 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1800 View Post
I have 13A’s now, they do take work to get the best from them. I’m considering trading them for a cone and dome speaker but haven’t pulled the trigger on anything yet.
I'm sure as musical as they are it is a difficult decision. ML 13A's have a beautiful sound.

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:13 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

Thank you to everyone that responded. The decision will be made in app 30 days. Thanks again. I'll post pictures in a new thread when she arrives.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1800 View Post

Steve,

I have listened to many a conventional speaker and I have not come across one that would replace my Logans. (under $30,000 )

Think long and hard before pulling that trigger. The Logans offer such a unique way of delivering sound that it is so hard for me to give a another type of speaker a chance.

But that's just me.

Please let me know what speakers are contenders. They will be on my short list to give a listen to.

Also, Steve...I am about to place an order for some GIK room treatments. How are they working for you? Is the difference obvious?

thanks

mike from pa
Old 11-15-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael paul View Post
Steve,

I have listened to many a conventional speaker and I have not come across one that would replace my Logans. (under $30,000 )

Think long and hard before pulling that trigger. The Logans offer such a unique way of delivering sound that it is so hard for me to give a another type of speaker a chance.

But that's just me.

Please let me know what speakers are contenders. They will be on my short list to give a listen to.

Also, Steve...I am about to place an order for some GIK room treatments. How are they working for you? Is the difference obvious?

thanks

mike from pa
Mike, I know all to well from where you speak ! having owned planar / stats for well over 30 years. For the past 10 years or so I would always audition other variants only to come away with hearing nothing to replace my Logans anywhere near their price point. That was until I auditioned my now current Revels. Six months afterwards I listened to the 13a's @ Overture in Wilmington, De and while I'm not planning on switching(at this time anyways) I'd have them in a heartbeat !
Old 11-15-2019, 08:21 PM

Hey Dave, yeah, I am just wired to the Logan sound.

Since the early 90's I have owned 5 different Logans.

Obviously I am locked in.

The Revels are great speakers.

But as Michael Corleone says in the Godfather III

"Just when I thought I was out, they (Logans) pull me back in!"

lol

Regards

mike in pa
Old 11-15-2019, 08:34 PM

IMHO, ML 13A's driven by Pass gear would actually be the ideal combination. I presume the two systems you're considering are from competing dealers, so probably difficult to audition that combo. One of the best ML setups I've ever heard were Summit X driven by Pass XP-20 Pre and Pass XA 160.5 Mono amps.

I have 13A's driven by C-J gear, and would probably have upgraded to Pass, if not for the heat issue!
Old 11-15-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
I have 13A's driven by C-J gear, and would probably have upgraded to Pass, if not for the heat issue!
Alan, come on.....heat, CJ ..... tubes ?? my x260.8's (most amount of Class A bias, save the big 650's of any PASS AB amps) are a non issue, well at least up here north of the Mason Dixon ! Now you Florida boys should be able to handle heat all day long !

Regards,

Dave
Old 11-15-2019, 09:33 PM

My C-J Premier 350 is one of their (rare) solid-state amps... Class A/B. My CT-5 Pre is a hybrid preamp, only two 6n30p tubes, so also runs pretty cool!

Glad you're enjoying the Revels (traitor <g>)!