AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 10-24-2015, 04:03 AM

Default 802D2 vs 803D3 - back to back audition

I finally was able to audition both the 802D2 and the 803D3 in the same room, same equipment, and nearly the same placement.

Full MAC gear, MCD500 to C50 Preamp to MC601 amps.

We switched between the 2 pairs approx 10 times during the demo... sometimes right in the middle of a song. Volumes were kept similar.

The 802D2 was just sold as demo so I was lucky to stop by right when they had the system still up. I lugged the 803D3 across the room and connected them in A/B fashion. I didn't want any of the speaker pairs to have the upper hand with regards to staging so I staggered the 2 pairs.

Basically:
1. Voices sounded meatier with the 803D3.
2. There was better projection into the room, vocal projection and vocal energy seemed to have more force and appeared more 3D than the relatively flatter presentation on the 802D2.
3. Midrange is definitely better on the 803D3, no question.
4. Bass seemed tighter, but I don't think it really went any lower... which makes me question the 19hz rating of the 803D3.
5. The sound seemed more cohesive to me, the treble didn't call to itself in what little that it did with the already improved 802D2. The midrange finally has less of this grain.
6. It's easy to hear the "grain" in the kevlar midrange... it's definitely a coloration that I have thought I heard before but chalked it up to "just how it is".
7. MUCH better at disappearing.... I can tell when the 802D2 is playing, I'm very familiar with this speaker.... but then when they had the 803D3 playing... I literally got up from my seat to check to see if the speakers were playing... it was SO weird that the speakers just disappear even no matter how you focus your energy into trying to stare at a speaker and see if sounds come from there.
8. Balanced sound. Sounded real.

Nitpick:
I honestly did not think bass hit the specs of <19Hz.

I also did not think it was the best imager, but I am sure it's a function of the set up and the not so ideal room and set up.

Conclusion:

Yes I liked it a lot. A lot a lot.

Like I will be buying one a lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (1).jpg (87.8 KB, 553 views)

Last edited by joey_v; 10-24-2015 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:15 AM

And my 66 year old dad was there with me and listened. Without even asking for his opinion.

"The new is 25% better than the old one. There's a big difference. You can easily tell.... even if you're not an audiophile."
Old 10-24-2015, 04:16 AM

Very cool review!

The specs for low end does seem a bit overrated, it reminds me of the PVD-1 subwoofer which is rated 7.5 - 450 hz from 2 x 8" ......

Other than that, isent it very hard to listen if it goes that deep?
I mean, 19 hz is hardly audible and most "normal" music does not go that low?
Old 10-24-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfrg View Post
Very cool review!

The specs for low end does seem a bit overrated, it reminds me of the PVD-1 subwoofer which is rated 7.5 - 450 hz from 2 x 8" ......

Other than that, isent it very hard to listen if it goes that deep?
I mean, 19 hz is hardly audible and most "normal" music does not go that low?
The bass is quick and tight.... I can't for sure say if it is deep.

I'm going to see if it's still there on Sunday and check again.

These are very RARE opportunities to have both speakers in 1 room under similar conditions. I wish I spent more time, but I think it was enough given how familiar I am with the 802D2.

Maybe the only thing I could ask for to be better would be imaging.. but I think that's a function of placement and room loading moreso than the actual speaker.

I sat there thinking... would I be happier with the 800D3 or the Wilson Alexia....?

And is my equipment up to snuff?

But, yes... the 803D3 is very very good. I am very sure I am headed D3..... the only question I have is:

Which?

Last edited by joey_v; 10-24-2015 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-24-2015, 07:51 AM

Hi joey_v,

Nice review!

A note about low bass performance (which you probably already know): outside of the actual capabilities of the product, getting low bass extension in a given acoustic space is completely dependent on that acoustic space. I know the room that you listened in, and unless you've got the speakers setup just right, you won't hear (or feel) anything near 19Hz.

Best regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
I finally was able to audition both the 802D2 and the 803D3 in the same room, same equipment, and nearly the same placement.

We switched between the 2 pairs approx 10 times during the demo... sometimes right in the middle of a song. Volumes were kept similar.

The 802D2 was just sold as demo so I was lucky to stop by right when they had the system still up. I lugged the 803D3 across the room and connected them in A/B fashion. I didn't want any of the speaker pairs to have the upper hand with regards to staging so I staggered the 2 pairs.

Basically:
2. There was better projection into the room, vocal projection and vocal energy seemed to have more force and appeared more 3D than the relatively flatter presentation on the 802D2.
4. Bass seemed tighter, but I don't think it really went any lower... which makes me question the 19hz rating of the 803D3.
5. The sound seemed more cohesive to me, the treble didn't call to itself in what little that it did with the already improved 802D2. The midrange finally has less of this grain.
6. It's easy to hear the "grain" in the kevlar midrange... it's definitely a coloration that I have thought I heard before but chalked it up to "just how it is".
7. MUCH better at disappearing.... I can tell when the 802D2 is playing, I'm very familiar with this speaker.... but then when they had the 803D3 playing... I literally got up from my seat to check to see if the speakers were playing... it was SO weird that the speakers just disappear even no matter how you focus your energy into trying to stare at a speaker and see if sounds come from there.

Nitpick:

I also did not think it was the best imager, but I am sure it's a function of the set up and the not so ideal room and set up.

Conclusion:

Old 10-24-2015, 07:55 AM

On a similar note, I happened to be in the Best Buy Magnolia store yesterday in Fresco, Texas and listened to the 804 D2 and 804 D3 side by side.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post

Basically:

Nitpick:

Conclusion:

Thanks for the review! Very good description.

This is very promising for the new line up

By the way, I ran a 20 hz test tone through my 800D2`s and it shakes the room with good force, I did not expect that.

Dag
Old 10-24-2015, 08:57 AM
Go Dawgs

Joey - cool review, thanks for your thoughts.....I'm looking forward to hearing the D3s as soon as I get the chance. The 19 Hz spec. is really impressive, but like Patrick said, very room dependent. I'd be willing to bet that 19 Hz would be pretty tough to achieve without ideal room acoustics and treatment.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 10-24-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
On a similar note, I happened to be in the Best Buy Magnolia store yesterday in Fresco, Texas and listened to the 804 D2 and 804 D3 side by side.
I was there. I took the 803D3 and moved it across the room to the 802D2 side.

Very nice folks who let you play with the gear.

No one had heard a good demo of the 802D2 and the 803D3, so we had a crowd going.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
Curious to hear your feedback. Anything else you can add?

Thanks