AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 12-06-2016, 05:39 PM

Default McIntosh MT10 upgrade: stock tonearm to SME V tonearm

Want to share my plans to upgrade stock tonearm to SME V, because it has more precise adjustments for my Van den Hull Colibri Gold XGP cartrige to get maximum performance and sound quality from MT10.
SME V arrived today:

Old 12-06-2016, 06:01 PM

Now I am thinking how to arrange all the connections. SME V has a 5-pin connector and Van den Hull silver cable (~500$) in package which is 5-pin from one side and 2 RCA connectors fro other side. I have Transparent Audio Ultra G5 RCA-RCA phono cable which is connected to MT10 at present. I unscrewed back plate where stock connections are made:

So I have 2 options to make all connections:
1. Remove original plate where connectors are located and change it for a new plate with small hole to pass through with original SME V cable which will go to phono stage input of my C52 preamp (my Transparent phono cables wil not be needed any more).
2. Cut the original cable leaving the 5-pin connectof from one side and solder the other side to the original connector plate as it was done at the factory (see photo above) and then connect it to phono input by my Transparent phono cables.
What will be opinions which option is better?

Last edited by Andrew Zakon; 12-06-2016 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:34 PM

#1 would seem to be the simplest, most direct connection. There's nothing wrong with the SME OEM supplied cable.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:44 AM

I agree with BlueSky. You want as few breaks in the connection as possible. The SME OEM cable can be improved upon however...
Avid Acutus SP, NO ARM, Benz Micro LP-S, Whest Audio PS.40RDT SE, PS Audio DSMP+DS DAC, Simaudio Moon 700i, Dali Epicon 6, Simaudio Moon Nēo 430HAD, HiFiMan HE-1000v2, Chord Sarum SA XLR, RCA, USB, Chord Sarum speaker, Nordost Vishnu power, Furutech plugs, PS Audio P10+Chord Sarum SA power, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Ultra Mini and LPI, HiFi Racks rack, Audio Desk Systeme PRO+Keith Monks Omni RCM
Old 12-07-2016, 11:47 AM

Default McIntosh MT10 upgrade: stock tonearm to SME V tonearm

Andrew, I am very interested in this latest endeavor. I remember reading in MT10 threads, likely here at AA, that clearaudio advised a MT10 owner that it was not possible to replace the stock arm with a higher end clearaudio arm. How will you install the SME? Will a custom machined arm board be necessary? I have no knowledge of switching arm boards on any turntable let alone a MT10. To my knowledge, yours will be the first MT10 to receive a upgraded arm, and what an upgrade it is ... SME V!!!!

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 12-07-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
Andrew, I am very interested in this latest endeavor. I remember reading in MT10 threads, likely here at AA, that clearaudio advised a MT10 owner that it was not possible to replace the stock arm with a higher end clearaudio arm. How will you install the SME? Will a custom machined arm board be necessary? I have no knowledge of switching arm boards on any turntable let alone a MT10. To my knowledge, yours will be the first MT10 to receive a upgraded arm, and what an upgrade it is ... SME V!!!!
Answer from Clearaudio:
"Regarding the tonearm: the SME V is a really good arm and I think it’s a good match for the MT10.

We can provide you a suitable armbase to mount the SME arm for sure. Please have a look at the attached catalogue for armboards:

You would need “AC031-1/B” - round SME base in black finish, page 3. (please note the prices are for the German market only)"

Now trying to buy it...
Old 12-08-2016, 03:25 AM

Just a question here as an MT10 owner. Why would one want to "upgrade" the arm at all ? Cartridge upgrades I completely understand but very curious what actual audio benefits an arm upgrade could and would yield.

C2500 | MC452 | MT10 | B&W 802 D2 | (2) Sub JL Fathom F112 | Mac Pro
Old 12-08-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Zakon View Post
Answer from Clearaudio:

"Regarding the tonearm: the SME V is a really good arm and I think it’s a good match for the MT10.

We can provide you a suitable armbase to mount the SME arm for sure. Please have a look at the attached catalogue for armboards:

You would need “AC031-1/B” - round SME base in black finish, page 3. (please note the prices are for the German market only)"

Now trying to buy it...

Very intriguing!! Look forward to your thoughts on sonic improvements.

Preamp: McIntosh C1100T/C1100C, McIntosh MX180
Amp: McIntosh MC611 (2), MC601 (3), MI254
Digital: McIntosh D1100, McIntosh MCT450, Meridian 808v6, Aurender N20, Aurender ACS10, Oppo 203
Analog: McIntosh MT10, Hana Umami Red
Phono preamp: Simaudio Moon 610LP, 820S
Signal cables: WW Gold Eclipse 7 speaker cables; Shunyata Sigma v2 XLR (2); Sigma v1 XLR (2), Transparent Ref XL (MM2) XLR; WW Silver Eclipse 7 (4)
Digital cables: Shunyata Omega USB, Omega Ethernet, Sigma Ethernet; WW Platinum 7 Coax, AES/EBU
Switch: Innuos PhoenixNet
Power: Audioquest Niagara 7000, Audioquest 5000, Audioquest Dragon, Hurricane PC, Shunyata Alpha HC, AQ NRG Edison outlets, (8) 20 amp dedicated lines, 125 amp subpanel
Speakers: Wilson Sasha DAW, Dynaudio Contour 30, Dynaudio Contour 25C
Subs: REL s/812 (6), REL s/510 (3)
Accessories: HRS M3X2 shelf (MT10), Stillpoints Ultra II v2 w/ bases (21), Ultra SS (12), Mini (12), LPi v1
Sound treaments: Artnovion
Old 12-08-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity1 View Post
Just a question here as an MT10 owner. Why would one want to "upgrade" the arm at all ? Cartridge upgrades I completely understand but very curious what actual audio benefits an arm upgrade could and would yield.
Tonearms make a significant contribution to the overall performance level of a turntable system. Some believe that as long as the table spins quietly at the proper speed and the arm is rigid that the cartridge is primarily responsible for the sound quality. Part of this belief is due to the fact that the cartridge is a transducer which changes mechanical energy from the stylus movement into an electrical signal. If it were only that simple audiophiles could save a lot of money in their analog setups. When listening comparisons have actually been performed it has been shown that the cartridge is actually the least significant component compared to the turntable itself and tonearm. So while the tonearm on the MT10 is of good quality like most things in audio there is always something better. Upgrading the tonearm on the MT10 should prove to provide significant improvements with any given cartridge. Hope this helps!
Old 12-08-2016, 04:02 PM

My friend had made a acrylic replica of original Clearaudio “AC031-1/B” - round SME base just to try while waiting for original. But the color is BLU
here the result of not finished installation:

This is original tonearm with all the wiring:

This is table without tonearm:

Here is SME V installed without cartridge: