AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Vintage Audio

Vintage Audio Classic never goes out of Style

Old 06-17-2013, 04:56 AM

I owned the predecessor to the cr620, that being the cr640.

It was a wonderful receiver. I had mine connected to Polk Audio Monitor 7B speakers. That was a good combination as well.

mc275VI 50th anniversary edition, c2300, rega p5, aerial acoustics 7t, Bryston BDA-1 dac, yamaha cdx550, dual 1237 turntable (not in use)
Old 06-17-2013, 01:57 PM

Default perhaps these may work for you and new

Product Preview: Pioneer SP-BS22 LR Loudspeaker

The $129 Showstopper

Think about it–what’s a hundred and twenty nine bucks? What on earth can you buy in the high end for $129??? A pair of loudspeakers? Not only that–a loudspeaker designed by renowned Pioneer chief engineer Andrew Jones-the same Mr. Jones who penned designs for the TAD Reference One and Compact Reference. The answer is currently playing music in my listening room. The oh, so, redesigned Pioneer SP-BS22 LR. Yes it’s a lot of name for a foot tall, two-way bass reflex design. But so far this soulful, little compact is turning in a performance worthy of speakers well beyond its almost laughable price point.
Unassuming in the extreme it tips the scales at little more than nine pounds dripping wet. Midbass duties are handled by a four-inch driver with a structured surface diaphragm to aid rigidity and fend off breakup modes while the 1-inch soft dome tweeter uses a custom designed waveguide to boost dispersion and efficiency.
There’s nothing particularly intriguing about it’s construction or parts compliment. No coincident driver a la TAD. But then again there’s the hard to quantify, but never to be underestimated, Jones Factor. What makes this little devil such a delight to listen to is how well it represents high-end values in such a small and (let’s face it, cheap) bundle. The essence of its performance is found in the breadth of its midrange. Jones has fashioned a resoundingly smooth, tonally ripe signature with just enough heft and weight behind vocal and instrumental images to provide scale but not physically overwhelm the tiny stature of this enclosure. Jones’ choices are clear. Balance above all. Vocals of either gender are authentic rather than helium filled, munchkin-like caricatures. The top end is surprisingly open which lends harmonics a fullness and dimension that is often lacking in this blue-plate realm of loudspeakers.
Credit the waveguide tweeter for dispersing treble energy in a wide enough axis so that it doesn’t lock the listener’s head in the vise of a narrow sweetspot. Bass response is mostly limited to upper midbass but it exhibits nice rhythm and timbre. While there’s clearly response further down, the BS-22 had avoided the scenario of the synthetic big port pulse or midbass boost that makes subwoofer matching such a nightmare. Sure, it won’t do dynamics or image like the $42k TAD CR-1. Yep, it’s got it’s own set of shortcomings. More on that in TAS. But I haven’t heard a two-way fitted with a four-inch midbass as it’s biggest gun flat-out perform at this level, for this little. Believe me, I’ll have more to say in an upcoming full review. Meanwhile, if you’ve been Jonesing after something sonically satisfying on the stingy side, look no further.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:57 PM

these would go perfectly with the old Yammie receiver...

Old 06-17-2013, 10:34 PM

What model are those, two dot?
Old 06-18-2013, 08:37 PM

NICE receiver !!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
What model are those, two dot?
JBL 4301b

I LOVE mine!!!!
Old 06-18-2013, 11:30 PM

I just ended up scoring the JBL 2500's for $48 so I'll try them out.

Still watching the auction on the ADS L400's.

I am kind of anxious to win that auction. I have two other ADS speaker sets, the L880's which I still use and the L570's I gifted to the oldest son to be able to keep the L880's out of his grubby hands!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:23 PM

I missed out on the L400's...someone bid them way beyond what I was willing to pay for them.

The receiver got here today so I am going to unpack it tomorrow, clean it up and give it a try.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:02 PM

Considering the limitation of the Minimus 7 speakers, I'm impressed! The unit came through the shipping in fine condition. the case is pretty clean and mostly unmarred.

The signal strength, FM tuning & frequency bar light(s) don't work but they didn't work before it was shipped. I don't know if I'll bother to fix them or not. It is just a garage / shop system after all.

I am looking forward to trying the JBL's when they get here!
Old 06-22-2013, 02:16 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Michael.......That's a nice looking Yamaha receiver. I vote to replace the lamps in the meters and tuning dial. In my opinion, there's not reason why this receiver should not be looking its best even in the garage.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A