AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 09-13-2019, 02:52 PM

Default Alexx Review

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...x-loudspeaker/
Old 09-14-2019, 02:04 AM

Joe P, Thanks again for posting the Alexx review. RH gave a thoughtful very positive review. When I first heard my Alexx I noticed the better bass than the Maxx3. It did not have more bass. The Maxx 3 had plently but Alexx was more sudden but at the same level for want of a better description. This was with my old cabling. I also noticed that the treble had a different character than the Maxx3. I can never criticize Maxx3 treble but it had a quality about it very difficult to wrap your head around and I think you either liked it or you didn't. I liked it a lot. The Alexx treble has the necessary extension etc. but is more generic for want of a better word. It's more like the treble of other speakers you hear, just in most cases better. The midrange definitely smoother, than the Maxx3 with less edge. Resolution excellent with but with the Maxx3 I never felt I was missing much. The new cabling really reduced or eliminated any harshness or grain. The Alexx was my first speaker that caused me to know I needed new power conditioning, cords, and cables. I'm not sure that I haven't reached the best sound speaker wise my room can attain. But I have said that before. I have just completely changed out all my heating and cooling in the house. All new topline units (three), the works so I'm feeling poor right now. I need to get some short term notes paid off next year, allow the XVX to get into production, and let the dust clear, then reload for the XVX. We shall see.

Based on what I am seeing now, the first time I could seriously and comfortably consider an XVX would be the end of 2021 or more likely the first quarter of 2022. The speaker would be in production for 2 years by that time. With all debts paid and the budget down to the bone, the XVX might be a speaker that I would borrow money to own, then pay it off over the rest of my life. It would be my last speaker. I would never consider in the future another speaker. Meanwhile, enjoy my Alexx. Sounds like a plan and something to really look forward to.

I would want the speaker to be included in the monthly budget, not taken from my son's inheritance. That much is clear.

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 09-15-2019 at 08:52 AM.