AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 10-24-2017, 02:21 AM

No money so have to use card that only works with Crutchfield.
But now I’ve read the el-8 closed has great bass and great sound. LCD-xc in one review one of the Pro was bass to die for. But $1800 ugh.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:34 PM

Wow listen to this review of the Fostex TH-X00

"The best low end in a closed back headphone, as far as tight, punchy, accurate...sub bass, not just bass but that sub-bass....you don't go 'wow the sub bass on anything except the dt770 and these Fostex".

On YouTube under Z Review - Fostex TH-X00

He says they cost 400 dollars. I don't know if they are on Crutchfield, but on Amazon they are just under 600USD.

The EL-8C, a heavily modded pair of Grados (all metal build) and these Fostex TH-X00, plus HD-650 will be my next group of headphones to purchase.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:04 AM

The Shure SE846 sounds good with very good bass but hurt my ears. Way too complicated to get the right fit so I’ve already boxed them up to return. No those aren’t at Crutchfield. But the Audeze EL-8 closed are. But no idea if I’ll like those and if I’ll even be able to try them.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:41 AM

I have a set of the Fostex in Rosewood from a Massdrop buy.They are quite good in the bass department.
I still like my HD 650 Senns the most. I grab them more than any others even my LCD 3,Etymonics and audio Technica.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:25 AM

I’m nervous I don’t know what to get. Crutchfield may not want to let me buy anything from them anymore. I have no way to try most headphones here so I’m stuck with them. And I have a very limited selection from my local dealer too. They won’t let me return anything if I don’t like it and they only have s few on the wall to demo. So I don’t know what to do.

I want to try these now.

Audeze LCD-XC closed
AUDEZE LCD-2 open
Audeze EL-8 closed
Focal Clear open
Focal Elear open

I’m using with my iPhone 6s Plus and my Moto X Pure.
For a few games I play and music.

I prefer over ear closed but don’t know how I’ll be affected by over ear open. I will be in my home only but not sure if fan noise I have going on will bug me with open back. I need the air to stay cool and for white noise.

I don’t mind getting an amp but I will have to wait on that. If headphones sound good on my iPhone but I need an amp to go louder then ok. If I’m ok with the vol I won’t get an amp.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:59 AM

I highly recommend you attend a CanJam event. You will be able try virtually every high end headphone in existence in one day. I've been to a few and they are definitely worth attending. I plan my vacations around them. Flights are cheap these days and hostels are cheap as well. Something to consider...
Old 10-25-2017, 04:06 PM

Haha. Wow. CanJam lol. Great name.
Money and I’d never go solo. But I would go in a heart beat.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
I’m nervous I don’t know what to get. Crutchfield may not want to let me buy anything from them anymore. I have no way to try most headphones here so I’m stuck with them. And I have a very limited selection from my local dealer too. They won’t let me return anything if I don’t like it and they only have s few on the wall to demo. So I don’t know what to do.

I want to try these now.

Audeze LCD-XC closed
AUDEZE LCD-2 open
Audeze EL-8 closed
Focal Clear open
Focal Elear open

I’m using with my iPhone 6s Plus and my Moto X Pure.
For a few games I play and music.

I prefer over ear closed but don’t know how I’ll be affected by over ear open. I will be in my home only but not sure if fan noise I have going on will bug me with open back. I need the air to stay cool and for white noise.

I don’t mind getting an amp but I will have to wait on that. If headphones sound good on my iPhone but I need an amp to go louder then ok. If I’m ok with the vol I won’t get an amp.
I really like the focal clear, but if you’re using your iPhone to power consider the lcd-x, it’s fairly close to the clear, it’s on a deep discount sale, and it sounds great on my iPhone. It may sound even better on a dedicated amp buts it’s light years ahead of v shaped headphones like Bose and beats. I think the purpose of the lcd-x is that it’s easier to drive.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:10 PM

And cam jam is where I demo’d All of Audeze, and focal headphones. I stumbled across it luckily and it’s in my backyard. It was probably the coolest thing I did all year. I spent about 4 hours split into 2 days. People fly from all over the world to attend the Rocky Mountain audio fest, which can jam is easily the largest giant convention center room in the hotel.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
I really like the focal clear, but if you’re using your iPhone to power consider the lcd-x, it’s fairly close to the clear, it’s on a deep discount sale, and it sounds great on my iPhone. It may sound even better on a dedicated amp buts it’s light years ahead of v shaped headphones like Bose and beats. I think the purpose of the lcd-x is that it’s easier to drive.
Hi. How is the bass on the x and clear? One issue is bass and them being open back

I like the sound of the Shure SE846 much. Very good bass. But I have some mental disorders and a small learning disability so I had problems big time with trying to figure out how to put them on and to get the right fit. The cable etc. but I like the sound and bass. If I could get over ear closed from Crutchfield for the same great bass and sound I’d get them.

I’m not sure about open back