AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Events & Demos

Events & Demos Manufacturer & Dealer Sponsored Events

Old 10-15-2009, 11:05 PM

Thought the presentations were great. I enjoyed the Wadia more myself. Can't wait for next week.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:40 PM

Just retuned from tonight's Paragon Music Matters night. One room was B&W 800d's driven by some very nice Classe gear including 600wpc mono blocks. The second room was McIntosh with C100T, MCD-500, MEN-220, 2301's and XRT 1K's. I had to take my wife's camera which uses SD cards that I can't readily connect to my laptop. I will post some additional pics of the MEN-220 and the ProJect Xtension tomorrow.

The B&W / Classe guys really spent a lot of time explaining the whys behind the design and engineering of their products. A very enjoyable discussion.

I was very familiar with the McIntosh products other than the MEN 220. They had taken the measurements earlier in the day and were using the room correction. I asked Jim Ludoviconi to put the unit into bypass mode so we could see if we could hear the benefits of the 220. At least in this room the improvements were noticeable and beneficial but not significant. I am very interested in this product and will probably be ordering one in the near future.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
I was very familiar with the McIntosh products other than the MEN 220. They had taken the measurements earlier in the day and were using the room correction. I asked Jim Ludoviconi to put the unit into bypass mode so we could see if we could hear the benefits of the 220. At least in this room the improvements were noticeable and beneficial but not significant. I am very interested in this product and will probably be ordering one in the near future.
The MEN220 can do magic in some rooms and almost nothing in other rooms. If possible, an in-home audition is the best option. In the room where I heard the MEN220, it did have very noticeable improvement. This was with ~$20K gear (speakers included), not megabuck system. I think the improvement would be even greater in a better system.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
The MEN220 can do magic in some rooms and almost nothing in other rooms. If possible, an in-home audition is the best option. In the room where I heard the MEN220, it did have very noticeable improvement. This was with ~$20K gear (speakers included), not megabuck system. I think the improvement would be even greater in a better system.
The unit is supposed to correct for the room not the gear. Why do you suggest it benefits a more expensive system?

Last edited by Still-One; 10-23-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:41 PM

I thought it was a great demo. I picked the McIntosh rep and B&W reps brain. I was there until 10:15. time just flew by. Stillone I hope to meet you in person next week. I can't wait to talk with the transparent rep and listen to those Wilson Maxx's. Wow, those are huge.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crytklmass View Post
I thought it was a great demo. I picked the McIntosh rep and B&W reps brain. I was there until 10:15. time just flew by. Stillone I hope to meet you in person next week. I can't wait to talk with the transparent rep and listen to those Wilson Maxx's. Wow, those are huge.
I agree. I thought all the rep's from B&W, Classe and McItnosh were very knowledge and willing to discuss the technology behind their products.

I am looking forward to hearing the Maxx 3. I hear they are now broken in pretty good now so next weeks event should be pretty good. I am interested in hearing the Doshi gear and see what all of the fuss is about.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:50 PM

What time will you be arriving? I can ask Ron or someone to find you, I would like to pick your brain about the sonos and music servers.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
The unit is supposed to correct for the room not the gear. Why do you suggest it benefits a more expensive system?
I was thinking, in a more expensive system, everything tends to be more revealing as well. This could mean the benefit from a room correction system is more easily heard.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crytklmass View Post
What time will you be arriving? I can ask Ron or someone to find you, I would like to pick your brain about the sonos and music servers.
I think I saw you last evening but you were discussing cables with Ron and Larry before you went into the Mac demo. Just ask one of them next week. I will get there around 5:30 but may not stay as late as last evening.
Jim
Old 10-24-2009, 08:31 PM

Ya can't miss me. I normally wear my railroad jacket and railroad hat. Easy to spot in a crowd.