Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 01-04-2019, 10:36 PM

Old 01-04-2019, 10:44 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timobi View Post
Holy Shit guys. Talk about making a guy re-consider IT ALL

I know Steve has been impressed with his Ref 6 BUT I also kind of figured it was due to just having an older Mac 2300 and older MC275 tube amps. It appears that some of you also have compared vs the legendary MC2301's.

I told Steve the other day that I probably should find a way to demo some ARC gear but would want to do so with my own setup.

At this juncture its really not the cost per se. We have ALL overspent I just want the best I can get AND for it to look as good as it sounds.

Mac gear so far at least at the level of the C1100 has been pretty amazing.

I may have to plan a trip up to Steve's soon and take my C1100 with me. I am familiar with the Logan 13's having owned them before the CLX.
Marc and I were talking a bit about this stuff after RMAF this year.....I love McIntosh gear, it's a superb value, excellent resale value, love the look.....I could go on and on but it can be a bit eye opening when you directly compare things like a 2 channel preamp, 2 channel amplifier with some other brands such as ARC. Ask form member Rob about his experience when he swapped in the VAC preamp in his system! The great thing about ARC gear is that they really seem to be in the sweet spot for dollar vs. high end performance. Sure the Ref 6 isn't cheap but compared to a lot of gear, it's not that bad. If I had more efficient less demanding speakers, I would've gone with the Ref 6/Ref 250 mono combination which would have saved me a little bit of $$$. For what you get, it's hard to beat a well matched Audio Research system.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 01-05-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Marc and I were talking a bit about this stuff after RMAF this year.....I love McIntosh gear, it's a superb value, excellent resale value, love the look.....I could go on and on but it can be a bit eye opening when you directly compare things like a 2 channel preamp, 2 channel amplifier with some other brands such as ARC. Ask form member Rob about his experience when he swapped in the VAC preamp in his system! The great thing about ARC gear is that they really seem to be in the sweet spot for dollar vs. high end performance. Sure the Ref 6 isn't cheap but compared to a lot of gear, it's not that bad. If I had more efficient less demanding speakers, I would've gone with the Ref 6/Ref 250 mono combination which would have saved me a little bit of $$$. For what you get, it's hard to beat a well matched Audio Research system.

- Buck
My opinion ONLY people...don't flame me...but after years of owning both and hearing both in many different systems, I think ARC and D'Agostino are in a different league than McIntosh. ARC is indeed in the "sweet spot" because you don't really pay much more than other brands. D'Agostino is awesome, of course, but you really do have to pay a premium to attain it.

FWIW: Buck you could have gone with Ref250's, it would knock your socks off and drive ANYTHING. But you're doing quite well with D'Agostino, it's all good I'm sure!

Tim, if you really want the "best" you do owe it to yourself to listen to these other brands as much as possible.

I will say, McIntosh has the best resale value from my experience. I've taken a bath with some of my sales but not really on Mac.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:05 AM

300+ hours.....might have to audition the Ref 75SE. [emoji6]
Old 01-05-2019, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsholl1 View Post
300+ hours.....might have to audition the Ref 75SE. [emoji6]
What do you listen to, what speakers and what size room? If you like jazz, classical, and folk, with speakers that are relatively sensitive and you have a modest room, it doesn't get much better. No matter how much you want to spend.

But it will run out of steam in a big room if you want to rock out.

A used ref150se or gs150 is the ticket then.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAudiophile View Post
That's what I love about AA, no peer pressure hede whatsoever......ROTFLMAO!!!
If I didn't join AA I'd probably be driving a porsche. But yeah no peer pressure here lol
Old 01-05-2019, 02:59 AM

I have Tannoy Prestige speakers which are very easy load and efficient. I use an Accuphase A70 when I am blasting the music, I can’t get it past 60watts on the metre, so 75SE should work fine.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:01 AM

I’m also in Australia and we don’t get much of anything secondhand. We also have 230v so.....
Old 01-05-2019, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsholl1 View Post
I have Tannoy Prestige speakers which are very easy load and efficient. I use an Accuphase A70 when I am blasting the music, I can’t get it past 60watts on the metre, so 75SE should work fine.
I'm sure you aren't suffering with that accuphase! But there's still something to brand synergy. Either way you are in good shape. [emoji106]
Old 01-05-2019, 03:25 AM

Lol. Funnily enough, the Ref6 has more synergy than the Accuphase C2850 I had. It listened to one track and knew straight away the C2850 was gone.
C2850 sounded broken compared to the Ref6.