AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 08-11-2020, 08:59 AM

Default Power Distributor for my Bricasti M28 monoblocks?

Presently, my Bricasti M28 monoblocks are plugged directly into the wall.

Looking for thoughts on whether I'd be "losing something" by feeding them through a power distributor like the Hydra Delta D6.
Old 08-11-2020, 02:26 PM

Those look like high-current pieces that would benefit from being plugged directly into the wall with a thick power cable, on a dedicated 20A circuit if possible. That’s the advice Shunyata gave me on my high-current amp. You can use a Venom Defender in the adjacent plug if you want some filtering and surge protection.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:07 PM

I’d be very surprised if you’d lose anything going into a Shunyata like the Hydra Delta. Shunyata is known for instantaneous high current capability.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 08-11-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonto View Post
Those look like high-current pieces that would benefit from being plugged directly into the wall with a thick power cable, on a dedicated 20A circuit if possible. That’s the advice Shunyata gave me on my high-current amp. You can use a Venom Defender in the adjacent plug if you want some filtering and surge protection.

+1 - as I understand it, that is Shunyata’s general advice...
Old 08-11-2020, 10:48 PM

If you have the moolah ($$$), this is the exact application the Omega NR PCs were made for! They incorporate noise reduction & a QR//BB directly into the cord, so that there are no extra plugs/outlets/cords to detract from maximum DTCD between the wall & the amp.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:45 AM

Do you need something just for the monos or for frontend electronics as well? Do you have 1 or 2 dedicated circuits?
Old 08-12-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crion2 View Post
Do you need something just for the monos or for frontend electronics as well? Do you have 1 or 2 dedicated circuits?
Electronics are going through an Isotek Evo Aquarius.

Monoblocks are on the same circuit; electronics are on a different one. I'm not able to re-wire anything.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:47 PM

A few follow-up questions:
  • Are both monoblock amps plugged into a single duplex in the wall and/or was the dedicated amp circuit set up with two duplexes? (This will determine whether you can use a Venom Defender with each.)
  • Do you have whole house surge protection at the breaker box? If not, is it possible to add or are you restricted by a lease or other terms from doing so? (Assuming Venom Defender option is not available due to duplex arrangement, having surge protection upstream would at least protect the amps from surge damage.)
  • What power cables are you currently using with the Bricastis?
  • What is your budget for power cables / distribution to the Bricastis?
  • Have you considered trying something like the Shunyata Delta D6 for the electronics, to compare to the Isotek?
  • What power cables are you currently using with your electronics plugged into the Isotek?
Old 08-12-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonto View Post
A few follow-up questions:
  • Are both monoblock amps plugged into a single duplex in the wall and/or was the dedicated amp circuit set up with two duplexes? (This will determine whether you can use a Venom Defender with each.)

2 different duplexes on the same circuit

• Do you have whole house surge protection at the breaker box? If not, is it possible to add or are you restricted by a lease or other terms from doing so? (Assuming Venom Defender option is not available due to duplex arrangement, having surge protection upstream would at least protect the amps from surge damage.)

No whole house surge protection, but that's not a problem to do.

• What power cables are you currently using with the Bricastis?

Wireworld Silver Electra 7

• What is your budget for power cables / distribution to the Bricastis?

Trying to keep it under $3k for cables if that's all I replace. Distribution budget $5k if necessary.

• Have you considered trying something like the Shunyata Delta D6 for the electronics, to compare to the Isotek?

Not really interested in buying something to replace the Isotek at the moment

• What power cables are you currently using with your electronics plugged into the Isotek?

Isotek Evo Aquarius
See my answers above
Old 08-12-2020, 07:04 PM

Here's what I'd do in your shoes:
  • Ensure the two duplexes on the dedicated amp circuit and the duplex on the electronics circuit are upgraded to at least the Hubbell industrial grade duplex corresponding to the rating of the circuit (HBL5262 for 15A; HBL5362 for 20A; they have white, ivory and brown options). Shunyata has a modified version of the HBL5362 they sell as the SR-Z1 outlet.
  • Get some quotes from electricians for whole house surge protection. Perhaps an email to Shunyata would lead to recommended units to look into having installed.
  • Get a couple Shunyata power cables to demo with the Bricastis to compare to the Wireworlds. For under $3,000 new, that means two Delta NR v2 cables at $1,000 each (10 awg). The next step up are the Alpha NR v2 at $2,000 each (8 awg), which would be out-of-budget. As the Bricastis are high-current amps, higher gauge would benefit them so you could also look to the used market for previous generation thicker cables. You could come in just over $3,000 with a couple used Sigma NR v1 cables (6 awg). They retailed for $3,000 each and have been posted at around $1,600-1,750 on the used market. My opinion on best bang for the bunk Shunyata for high-current applications is a used Alpha HC at around $650-700 each (2x10 awg for aggregate 7 awg) or a used Alpha NR v1 at around $800 each (8 awg). Compared to the NR series, the Alpha HC doesn't have VTX geometry, newer VTX-ag (silver core) cables found in the NR v2, or the newest noise filter.
  • Demo (with good return policy) a couple Venom Defenders, one on each monoblock duplex. This will provide some additional filtering on top of any in the power cords, plus surge protection. Probably unnecessary if you get whole house surge protection and a good cord with noise reduction.
  • Consider demoing (with a good return policy if possible) a power distribution product like a used Denali 2000T for the monoblocks. They typically sell for around $1,500 used. I probably wouldn't bother with the Delta D6 as it's a lower-end product and you'd be wasting four of the outlets. Delta D6 is more of a consideration for comparison against the Isotek your electronics are plugged into (both have six outlets).

Others may have different opinions of course.

See also this Electrical System Guide from Shunyata: https://www.moremusic.nl/shunyata/ma...stem_guide.pdf

Last edited by zonto; 08-12-2020 at 07:07 PM.